Thread: lower back pain

Wannabebig Member

lower back pain

my lower back is killing me, when i sit or lie down for long periods, standing it doesn't bother me.
    i think i injured it during a squat 2 weeks ago.
    what do i do? i still can squat, i can't deadlift right now

my job requires me to sit in a chair for 10 hours a day and 5 days a week
    i sit at my desk and stretch all day, but the pain seems to be getting worse

Banned
    Go to a doctor.
    Until your appointment, you could try a lumbar support on your chair. It's the thing that old ladies have on their rocking chairs, but goddamn they're comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    Go to a doctor.
    Until your appointment, you could try a lumbar support on your chair. It's the thing that old ladies have on their rocking chairs, but goddamn they're comfortable.
    Agreed. Also, try to get up move about every half hour or so. Do some light stretching throughout the day.

Wannabebig Member
    persoanlly chiropractors work wonder for me, but deffently get it checeked out. better safe then sorry

I've had a long history of back pain. What I have learned over time and many mistakes is: as soon as it starts to hurt - stop everything and get it treated. Osteopaths are my preference. I don't recommend doing any weights at all until you get medical advice and if your doctor says take a break, he/she means it.

Don't take this as gospel but because of the nature of heavy squats and my experience of identical symptoms I'd say the natural arch in your lower back during the heavy squat means you've compressed the lower vertebrae and aggravated the surrounding tissue. At first signs of hurting my back again I take an anti-inflammatory (always with food) and call my Osteopath.
    Last edited by Australian; 03-19-2007 at 06:43 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Australian View Post
    I've had a long history of back pain. What I have learned over time and many mistakes is: as soon as it starts to hurt - stop everything and get it treated. Osteopaths are my preference. I don't recommend doing any weights at all until you get medical advice and if your doctor says take a break, he/she means it.

Don't take this as gospel but because of the nature of heavy squats and my experience of identical symptoms I'd say the natural arch in your lower back during the heavy squat means you've compressed the lower vertebrae and aggravated the surrounding tissue. At first signs of hurting my back again I take an anti-inflammatory (always with food) and call my Osteopath.
    thanks appreciate the advice, going to a physio therapist for an assessment today

Good. Tell us what the diagnosis is. Thanks.

Wannabebig Member
    Good. Tell us what the diagnosis is. Thanks.

diagnosis is that, i'm using the muscles in my mid back way to much apparently, she made me run through some test, and not sure of the technical terms but it seems that on of my spine things T-10? is causght on the one under it...basically my posture has sucked all my life and i'm paying the price now.....

Don't even think about lifting until it's completely pain-free for at least 3 weeks or you'll have a relapse. Don't do yoga. Don't run. Walking and swimming are good but wait a week and be gentle at first. Only do freestyle in the pool. Get a book on Alexander Technique. Get a lumber support cushion for your seat. If all else fails, get Feldenkrais treatments for a couple of months. Good luck man, you're out of luck for now, but good luck for the future. Glad to hear you won't be needing those pills or injections either. Paul Stagg found you a good link to read on your other thread about that stuff.
    Last edited by Australian; 03-21-2007 at 09:48 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Don't even think about lifting until it's completely pain-free for at least 3 weeks or you'll have a relapse. Don't do yoga. Don't run. Walking and swimming are good but wait a week and be gentle at first. Only do freestyle in the pool. Get a book on Alexander Technique. Get a lumber support cushion for your seat. If all else fails, get Feldenkrais treatments for a couple of months. Good luck man, you're out of luck for now, but good luck for the future. Glad to hear you won't be needing those pills or injections either. Paul Stagg found you a good link to read on your other thread about that stuff.
    thanks for the advice and help in both threads

No worries mate
    Look after yourself.