Thread: shoulder stiffness

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

shoulder stiffness

sometimes when after my chest routine, the back of my shoulders become sore too.. somewhere inside there on the left side. its hard for me to pin point the location.. my right side never feels like this. i can feel it getting worked too when i do incline dumb bell presses. i can really feel the burn on it right after a set. is this the result of improper form or are those muscles actually really worked in the exercise?

Wannabebig Member
    bump, I had this and it just went away? What do you guys think this is?
    I lift weights

Most likely you may have some weak rotator cuff muscles as benching is tough on the shoulders for some people. I have had the same type of problem on and off for a while now, but I think it is always there in the back off my mind. I am seeing a physiotherapist next week to get a assement. You might want to do the same before it gets worse or just do a search for rotator cuff execises.
    " Eat to grow, Progression to get stronger " - mesmall

Wannabebig Member
    Ya, I did do rotator cuff exercises till my tubing broke, and now my shoulder doesn't act up, shoudl I buy some more tubing and keep doing it?
    I lift weights

Well...why were you doing them in the first place? injury? I maybe able to answer the question better next week, but from what I know so far doing cuff exercises every once in a while cannot hurt. In fact it may actualy help some people.

Wannabebig Member
    well it doesn't feel like a sharp pain or anything..
    im pretty sure its just the muscle..
    wouldn't it eventually just get stronger over time by doing the chest exercises?

That would depend on the individual and the type of problem. Actually if there is a problem, the muscle may get weaker. This could affect your chest workout without you really knowing it. You may wonder why your bench is staying the same or going up then down (like mine). People may tell you to look at your diet, rest days, routine etc. This is all good advise, but all along your weak link maybe your rotator cuff and not too many people train those.

Wannabebig Member
    yeah thats true... the weight i use for chest exercises has been the same for a long time..
    well i guess i better start lookin for rotator cuff exercises.. and come to think of it, this may answer my previous question about why my chest doesn't seem to be progressing as well as the rest of my body.
    damn, i just checked it out on the net and i read that a popping noise in your shoulder when using heavy weights is a sign of injury.. along with the vauge difficult to pinpoint soreness.
    i guess im lucky to have found this out now..

should i still continue with my regular chest and shoulder exercises and throw in some rotator cuff exercises too or cut chest and shoulder untill i've strengthened my rotator cuff?
    Last edited by wild; 02-21-2002 at 08:44 PM.

Wannabebig Member

whats wrong now???....go see a doctor

Wannabebig Member
    ah im just worried about damaging my shoulders..
    but i was asking how i should go on about integrating the rotator cuff exercises into my routine and how my routine should change accordingly..

A physiotherapist will be better qualified to answer that question, so I would suggest to go see one if you truely are concerned.

Wannabebig Member
    alright
    thanks

yeah, I had this and I had no idea what the pain was from until i researched the problem on the net, you definitely have a rotator cuff problem. I got mine from not enough variation in routine that imbalanced my shoulder from too much emphasis on push exercises. Your shoulder has a heap of different muscles keeping it all balanced so make sure you do your rotator cuff exercises and some rear deltoid work to keep it in place. When I had this problem it put me out of training for a while until I could properly diagnose it. Damn doctors gave me pills and shots to kill the pain, physiotherapist had no clue either - yay the internet or I my shoulder would be a mess - it is now slightly lower than the left shoulder if I dont really strengthen up those rotators.

Rubber tubing is shiznit for strengthening the tendons in the rear of the shoulder. Also, weight lying on your side.

Wannabebig Member
    well its no pain serious enough for me to consult a doctor without knowing... but the mere fact that now i know it could be something serious scares me... how do i make sure its balanced? will just doing rotator cuff exercises now fix it up?