The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

new(?) idea for a strength training routine

After reading up on some general strength training principles and talking with Guido, I came up with a routine that is geared towards strength and includes both the powerlifting and olympic movements.

3 days per week:
    Day 1: Squat/Deadlift
    Day 2: Bench
    Day 3: Olympic lifts

- Weeks alternate between a target single and target reps.
    - Rep weeks alternate between partials (ex rackpulls, cleans, push press) and "extended" movements (ex deep squats, deadlifts off platform)
    - 2 consecutive weeks will be for deadlift, followed by 2 for squat
    - same goes for snatch and clean and jerk
    - Following the main lift will be some accessory work (ex SLDLs, narrow grip bench, hypers)

And now I ask you for your input, opinions, thoughts and advice.
    Shoot away WBB!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hmmm i'm not the most informed person but that looks like it may do some good. The olympic lifts will help with explosive power (deep squats will help getting out of the hole on parallels, push press will help with bench..etc.). I tried to do something similar a while back but alot of the powerlifting guys said that it was not as beneficial to do powerlifting movements with oly. Lets see what the other guys have to say.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

I know guys that train both hard, run into join issues, but it depends on the intensity and rest.

I just think you post is to simple to comment on...

Banned
    I like the idea. Here's how I might break it up.

Workout 1
    Olympic Lift
    Squat
    Squat Assistance Work

Workout 2
    Olympic Lift
    Bench
    UpperBody Assistance Work

Workout 3
    Olympic Lift
    DL

When I played football, we always did an Olympic lift to start the workout, and then went on to Lower Body/Upper Body work. Food for thought. My other question would be, which sport do you compete in? Or do you just like lifting both ways. Don't confuse this statement with "going both ways", if you know what I mean and I think you do. (Insert bad gay joke) SFW.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Guy View Post
    I just think you post is to simple to comment on...
    It's more of a general idea than a specific routine. What other information would be helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    My other question would be, which sport do you compete in? Or do you just like lifting both ways.
    I'm not competing in anything specific. I'm want to get strong, but I haven't come across any routines that train all of the big lifts at the same time.

what rhodes listed is actually a VERY good split.
    2000 or bust

Oly lifts are too technical for my taste, and I remember hearing the athletic carryover of a DL is far greater than any of the oly lifts. Other than that, I like it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    what rhodes listed is actually a VERY good split.
    It looks good, except for the oly lift always being first. Wouldn't that drain you before doing the big 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    Oly lifts are too technical for my taste, and I remember hearing the athletic carryover of a DL is far greater than any of the oly lifts. Other than that, I like it.
    Oddly enough, I like them because of the technical skill required. That and you get a kick ass photo op at the top of the lift

Iron4Life
    Hey Red Spikey.. I actually do variations on this type of program. The only main difference is that I throw a variance to the BP day - alternating main exercises with Overhead pressing - to get both stronger for strongman and OL'ing. I also like to do Abs and Traps on OL days.. explosive trap work especially..

PS.. although the last week has been a bit different.. I'm in need of some more OL form, so I'm doing it 2 days in a row.. and I'm doing squats 3xweek, this week and next...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf View Post
    Hey Red Spikey.. I actually do variations on this type of program. The only main difference is that I throw a variance to the BP day - alternating main exercises with Overhead pressing - to get both stronger for strongman and OL'ing.
    I like the overhead pressing idea. Maybe alternate deads/squats, clean & jerk/snatch and bench/OH press?
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 03-22-2007 at 06:59 PM.

Banned
    Any other ideas on training the PL lifts and oly lifts at the same time?

I think the two can go hand in hand if you understand the technical aspects of OL. I think that I posted my workout on here, and I am still doing the power movement, just not as much DLing. I have found that my DL will go up as long as my hamstrings, low back, and abs get stronger. Vince Anello once said that anything made his DL go up, meaning he always did something new.

Iron4Life
    Well RedSpikey.. I think there is your definitive answer...
    Take a look at that Travis Mash video... what he does with both OLifts and Plifts is incredible.

Here is a link to Travis' workouts...
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...07#post1634307
    That looks pretty good..

Banned
    The reason you do the OL lifts first is because you need all of your power and explosion to get the benefits of the lifts. The OL are more technical than the PL. I wouldn't want to be fatigued before doing OL. JMO

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    The reason you do the OL lifts first is because you need all of your power and explosion to get the benefits of the lifts. The OL are more technical than the PL. I wouldn't want to be fatigued before doing OL. JMO
    That's a good point. So maybe do an Oly lift at the beginning of every ession, followed by one of the big three and an accessory?

Banned
    I would do the Oly lift 1st. That's what we did in college, although I didn't do many Oly lifts. Just kinda walked around until guys finished up and move on to benching or squatting. I'm lazy.

If you do hard Olympic lifts after others it will impact your form. They take allot out of you.

But they will take away from other lifts as well so if you want to focus on power lifting makes sure you have days with out Olympic lifts.

But but doing Olympic lifts after a big three will force much more out of you resulting in stronger lifts. Just make sure if you do this you keep form tight.

I personally mix it up after a while. Yes, it is harder but builds power well.
    Last edited by Sleepy Guy; 03-25-2007 at 03:33 PM.