The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Sona pillow - only FDA Certified OTC sleep device for snoring/sleep apnea

http://www.sonapillow.com/index.htm

I read about this in Men's Health yesterday. I think I'm going to try it out, since I know that I snore, no matter what bodyfat I am at. It's pretty damn expensive ($70 + shipping). Anyone heard good news about this thing?

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    I agree it looks cool, but I'm skeptical that it would work for me only because I generally don't get along too well with pillows.

Regular pillows - suck.
    Extra soft - suck.
    Firm - suck.
    $80 king size memory foam pillows that came with my mattress have been better because they're shaped, but still not working for me.

I hope I'm contributing and not hijacking by asking this: does anyone else generally hate pillows? Ultimately, I find myself using about 3% of the corner of any pillow that I use - max.

I do like the fact that you can tuck your arm under your head with the pillow you linked to. I'd be curious to hear a WBB testimonial. Not sure I trust those on the web. Did M's H research it themselves or was it just an ad?
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

Nope, it wasn't an ad. It was just one of the things that they mentioned in the mag. Here's the study that got it FDA approved:

Sleep apnea avoidance pillow effects on obstructive sleep apnea syndrome and snoring.
    * Zuberi NA,
    * Rekab K,
    * Nguyen HV.
    Department of Neurology, Florida Hospital, Kissimmee, Florida 34741, USA. doctorzuberi@yahoo.com
    The study was performed to determine the ability of a new inclined pillow to treat snoring and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. The SONA Pillow is a triangular pillow with space to place your arm under the head while sleeping on the side. Twenty-two patients with nocturnal polysomnogram (NPSG)-proven obstructive sleep apnea syndrome were included in this study; the group included 11 mild, 8 moderate, and 3 severe sleep apnea patients. All patients had a second attended NPSG performed while utilizing this specific inclined pillow. The pillow was found to be an effective and easily used treatment for mild (respiratory disturbance index [RDI] 5 to 19) and moderate (RDI 20 to 40) obstructive sleep apnea and snoring. In this group, RDI ranged from 5.1 to 35.2 and decreased on the average from 17 events per hour to fewer than 5 events per hour while utilizing the inclined pillow (<0.0001). Also, a statistically significant difference was noted in rapid eye movement (REM) RDI decrement in all patients with mild to moderate sleep apnea (p=0.001) and the increase in SaO2 was also significant (p=0.004). Overall, snoring was decreased or eliminated (p=0.017). CONCLUSION: A uniquely designed pillow (SONA Pillow) is effective in reducing the number of events in patients with mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea. Using this pillow also reduces snoring.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    Those p-values are sexy low. Promising.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

Iron4Life
    Try exercising your neck... yep, it stopped my snoring... and I get much better sleep...

pillows and loosing weight didn't help me... but flexing my muscles/tendons/ligaments in my next did... start with twice a day for about 30 secs... and I maintain now by doing it 3 times a week for 30 secs..

I have a big snoring problem, peel the paint from the walls kind! Had a little sore throat this week, today woke with a huge headache and dry throat. I will try what bearwolf wrote. I tried some of the gargle stuff before bed seems to help a bit.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)