The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Sweaty hands

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar

Sweaty hands

In the gym it can be negated by chalk but in every day occurrences it's frustrating. My laptop is always coated in slimy sweat. I've been seeing this girl lately and on top of her complaining about my calluses she thinks my sweaty hands are gross.

Is there anything I can do?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Read this -------------->> pipes's Avatar
    Is this a constant thing or does it only happen every so often?
    5'11" 220lbs.

BENCH - 330 x 1
    SQUAT - 405 x 1
    DEADLIFT - 450 x 1

"Whenever you do a thing, act as if all the world were watching." -- T.J.
    "Every success is built on the ability to do better than good enough." -- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pipes View Post
    Is this a constant thing or does it only happen every so often?
    Constant. It's an exception when they're dry. Either their cold and sweaty or warm and sweaty. Clammy, if you will.

Check this out.
    http://www.sweaty-palms.com/sweaty_palms.html

Any of your family members have the same problem?
    How long have you noticed it? Have you had it since you were a little kid, or has it developed since a certain time?
    Consulting your physician is probably the best approach if it bothers you enough.

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    I have the same problem. Aside from shaking someones hand I usually don't hear much about it. Most people just shake my hand without saying anything but my family members/friends are very vocal about it.

This past year its gotten much better. I don't know why....but it still happens sometimes.

Weightlifting has helped it ALOT though.
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 03-07-2007 at 07:44 PM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

I have this problem too..my hands get clamy for no reason...kind of a pain in the ass
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Quote Originally Posted by muscleup View Post
    Check this out.
    http://www.sweaty-palms.com/sweaty_palms.html

Any of your family members have the same problem?
    How long have you noticed it? Have you had it since you were a little kid, or has it developed since a certain time?
    Consulting your physician is probably the best approach if it bothers you enough.
    Thanks for the link, although it's doubtful I'll ever resort to surgery even though it's arguably a minimally invasive form.

I've noticed it for about 4-5 years now. I can't remember if I had it as a kid but I do remember having cold hands as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    I have the same problem. Aside from shaking someones hand I usually don't hear much about it. Most people just shake my hand without saying anything but my family members/friends are very vocal about it.

This past year its gotten much better. I don't know why....but it still happens sometimes.

That's kind of funny. My family notices it too but the ladies especially.

Quote Originally Posted by KingWilder View Post
    I have this problem too..my hands get clamy for no reason...kind of a pain in the ass
    Tell me about it. It's essentially rendering my touch-pad useless as I type this. There is a pool of sweat on the keyboard. (Stop laughing)

Quote Originally Posted by Progress
    That's kind of funny. My family notices it too but the ladies especially.
    yeah, this is my main problem with it
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post

Took the words right out of my mouth. I hadn't realized it until I read the last line of Jordan's post, but weightlifting really has helped a lot. Still there, but much better since I've been lifting on a regular basis.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

Same deal here with the shweaty paws...one word man...drysol! Its just a heavy duty antipersperiant that is actually designed for treating sweaty mitts (hyperhydrosis if you want the medical term). Use this on your hands at night (intially once a week...then you can prolly drop down to once a month) and you'll have no more sweaty troubles.

Worked like a charm for me...over the counter drug stores sell it, give her a try...a quick cheap fix that worked wonders for me!
    Strong like bull, smart like tractor.

...quit reading and start eating!

Quote Originally Posted by FreeRider View Post
    Same deal here with the shweaty paws...one word man...drysol! Its just a heavy duty antipersperiant that is actually designed for treating sweaty mitts (hyperhydrosis if you want the medical term). Use this on your hands at night (intially once a week...then you can prolly drop down to once a month) and you'll have no more sweaty troubles.

Worked like a charm for me...over the counter drug stores sell it, give her a try...a quick cheap fix that worked wonders for me!
    You know, I've heard wonderful things about Drysol for armpits, too. I hear you slap that stuff on and can't sweat at all the next day - any truth to that? You can't buy it in the states over the counter, IIRC.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Quote Originally Posted by FreeRider View Post

Duly noted. Dude, thanks. I'll give it a shot.

botox
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” --- Charles Darwin

Excessively sweaty palms, feet, and underarms are problems for me too. What sort of doctor would I approach to get a prescription for this Drysol stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. _____ View Post
    Excessively sweaty palms, feet, and underarms are problems for me too. What sort of doctor would I approach to get a prescription for this Drysol stuff?
    Either your primary care or a dermatologist.

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” --- Charles Darwin

McIrish,
    Definatly true. If I throw it on my hands I actually cant sweat for the next day or so. I put it on really light now...you wouldnt believe how uncomfotable it is not to sweat on your hands at all!

Mr. _____,
    Over the counter....no need for a prescription. Talk to the person behind the counter at your drug store.
    Strong like bull, smart like tractor.

...quit reading and start eating!

Definitely go with Drysol. It's amazing how well it works. After one application you can tell the difference. It was actually a weird feeling at first. The day after I first used it, I was at work and I was really hot and sweaty from doing a bunch of odd jobs outside, and so I assumed I would have my trade-mark pit stains, and yet there was nothing there. The rest of my body was sweaty, but I felt under my armpits and there wasn't even a drop. The stuff is awesome.

Yeah, drysol definatly works for the pits but personally I have only had limited success with it on my hands.

I think half of my problem is anxiety though. If I go to church (which I don't anymore, just christmas, etc.) where i know that i will be shaking hands my hands turn into faucets. It's pretty disgusting acctually, I can't even look at people when I shake their hand.

I almost like to go through the surgery but I've heard that it causes many complications (however I have no idea what they are).

I've got the exact same problem. My hands are sweaty all the time. The only real annoyance I have with it is shaking hands. My friends constantly complain about how discusting it is to shake hands with me. I guess I could try that Drysol stuff.

^^ see a doctor it has something to do with your lymphatic system and nerves... (see a naturalpath if you can)

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    ^^ see a doctor it has something to do with your lymphatic system and nerves... (see a naturalpath if you can)
    It's in the nerves. That's why sympathecomy (cutting of the nerves supplying the sweat glands) and botox is effective.