Thread: Questions on max out

Gamer/Lifter

Questions on max out

Next week i'm maxing out (or the week after that) this max out is really important to me. It'll capult me into the elite 400s (something very few poeple hit in my school) and put me at the top with the top squaters in the school. So i'm slightly worried about.

I don't want to feel like a newbi here but next week or the week after that I intend on squating (and fliming) and quite franly I want it to be a awesome session. I'm confident I can hit 405, and most likely 420 but quite frankly getting deeper into the 400s would be really nice. I was wondering do you guys believe another week of training before my max out would help any?

My last work out (today) was the following
    Squats 5x5 @ 280-3, 286-2
    Then a mile run which pretty much tore me to pieces (Haven't ran in months and when I did I still sucked at it)

I was considering doing a really heavy set of 3x3 for mid 300s to get me prepared for the weight. Or I was also considering just getting it over with and hitting 400 next week. Any advice? I want this max out session to one of the best i've ever had.
    Last edited by Nik00117; 03-12-2007 at 12:22 PM.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Wannabebig Member
    I would say stop squatting for the week before you plan on maxing. Maybe one very light session to keep the blood flowing, but if you've been training hard, a week off will help more than anything else.

Thanks.

I actually think you should lower the volume but not the intensity. Instead of doing 3v3 heavy and wearing yourself out why not try something like 5 singles up to something like 375 (maybe 315-335-355-365-375) and focus a great deal on form. After the 3-5 singles, do a walk out with 420 to get a feel for the weight so it doesnt surprise you as much when you max. This sort of work out should not tire you out but will keep you sharp for your max effort the following week.

Jay

Banned
    Take the week off

I figure you might appreciate an explanation to my advice. Here goes:

1. When you taper for a competition, the idea is to reduce volume so that you are working at your top capacity.

2. Taking a week off from your chosen sport (or in this case from lifting) can put you into a detraining state where you lose neurological efficiency in the sport specific motion. Since a max lift is all about coordinating all of your muscle fibers well, this is bad.

3. A lot of lifting well is being in the right mindset. I have found in my experience that not touching heavy weight for a while before going after a very heavy lift can mess me up. When I first unrack the weight, it will likely feel very heavy because I am unaccustomed to it. Once a weight feels heavy, you are less likely to produce a peak performance.

4. As a young athlete, you bounce back from hard workouts well. Also, by the simple fact that you ran a mile after a reasonably tough workout (5x5 at 75% is not easy), it seems like your program is not overly focused and therefore you are not very likely to be burnt out on lifting, is my guess. This is just a guess though.. my other points are much more solid than this one.

5. According to your account, you have not done anything remotely resembling 400 in the past week. This goes back to #2 and #3 a little. You are not accustomed to how heavy that weight will feel, nor have you been training to coordinate all your fibers to lift that weight lately.

For the reasons above, I suggested the 5 singles and 1 walkout. (with a proper warmup, of course. Maybe 8x135, 5x185, 3x225, 2x275) It gets you closer to your max, lets you focus on form, lets you feel the weight you are going to deal with, and washes away any threat of detraining neurologically.

Good luck with your max effort lift. I hope your coaches have you going down to at least parallel for it (if not lower). If so, a 405 backsquat is a great accomplishment for someone your age, and you should be quite proud to be shooting for it!

Jay

Gamer/Lifter
    Thanks, O BTW guys if I take a week off i'll be screwed... I know some guys who can take a week off before a max out come back just as strong as ever. But i'm not like that.

Next week I'll do a heavy work out, 5 singles as mentioned. Then do a walkout with 420.

Although my walkout isn't going be very long, where I squat I basicaly lift the weight forward and setpa bout a foot forward. But yes i'll toss 420 on my back see out if feels. Then the week after that I'll max out.

And that mile was a surpise to me. Coach came up to me after I finished my squats and he went "Your running a mile today" which wasn't a lot of fun for me.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Some good advice here.

Guess Ill just wish you the best of luck man, 4 plates is an unreal feeling.

Whats more to say??? Just **** that weight up man!!!
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Banned
    Take the week off. Your CNS doesn't recover the same way your muscles do. To lift a max weight, your CNS needs to be fresh. I have NEVER heard of anyone taking a max and then doing a walkout the week before a meet. It's too taxing on your system.

All PL'ers take off the week before a meet. Mainly for the reason Rhodehouse just stated. When you've been lifting heavy a lot (the weeks before a meet), you need CNS recovery time.

Do a warmup as you would on any other training day the day you want to attempt your max. If going for 405, I would do:

10x135
    rest 1 min
    6x225
    rest 1 min
    2x315
    rest 2 min
    1x365
    rest 3-5 min
    1x405 Max Attempt
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Gamer/Lifter
    I am going to squat on Tuesday, then the following Monday max out so it will almost be a full week.

You should probably be okay then.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Gamer/Lifter
    If I didn't squat on Tuesday and went in on monday, i'd feel way too weak. I have my spilt over a 7 day period normally anyways. NExt week its prob going be a 3 day in a roll type deal

Bench Moday Squat Tuesday Deadlift Wednesday light cardio Thurs and Fri.

Gamer/Lifter
    Bad bad news.

I was during singles, hit 353 and failed, failed over and over again w/e I did I could not hit it.

Not sure if it was cause I wans't as exicted as I was when I maxed out, or my spotters (I use a lift off when maxing out) we'll see this tuesday how I perform.

All I have to say is, i'm worried about it.

According to what I learned today, box squats. Doing box squats not only prepare the body for heavier weight (because you can do more) but you recover much much faster since the hardest portion of the lift is made significantly easier.
    6'0" 180
    Vertical 29" Running= 37" 40= 4.70
    Big 3: Squat= 320
    ........Bench= 275
    ........Deadlift= 350ish?
    OL: .....Clean= 270 150%
    ...........Snatch= 200 111%

I would say work at it but time is a factor. Sure others will be able to provide input, competition prep is not my strong point.

I would like to comment that they are getting younger, bigger, and stronger. 225lbs at 17yrs doing 400lbs squats. I think at 17 I was doing 135lbs squats.

Gamer/Lifter
    I would like to comment that they are getting younger, bigger, and stronger. 225lbs at 17yrs doing 400lbs squats. I think at 17 I was doing 135lbs squats.
    Haven't hit 400 lbs yet.

But you prob didn't start lifting and if you did you prob weren't as serious as I am.

Banned
    You learned a valuable lesson. What happened to you is one of the reasons you don't want to max the week before a test week. The week before a test week, there is NEVER a reason to go heavy. It fries your CNS and, in this situation, it turned out bad and is messing with your confidence.

As far as the test goes, get your mind on what you have to do. Try to forget about last week. Visualize yourself setting up, walking the weight out, squatting, and racking th weight with 3 white lights to follow. See yourself succeeding in your mind. Don't allow any negative thoughts to get in your head.

And next time, listen to the fat guy! I have a clue about this stuff.

Good luck! SFW!

I'm testing this week (Tue-Fri) on the Bench, Squat, Deadlift, and PC.
    What days should I do these on to get the best results?

I was thinking PC on tuesday (so I'll be fresh for a speed lift)
    Squat on Wednesday
    Bench on Thursday
    Deadlift on Friday (unless I have a track meet that day, in which case I'll move the deadlift to thursday.)
    6'0" 180
    Vertical 29" Running= 37" 40= 4.70
    Big 3: Squat= 320
    ........Bench= 275
    ........Deadlift= 350ish?
    OL: .....Clean= 270 150%
    ...........Snatch= 200 111%

Now for all of you who don't know it, studies show that a max lift can fry your cns for 3 weeks. People who have been around offer good advice--take it. Giving advice in the gym and on the net can be so futile, that is why I hardly waste my time anymore.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 03-26-2007 at 09:13 AM.

Gamer/Lifter
    You learned a valuable lesson. What happened to you is one of the reasons you don't want to max the week before a test week. The week before a test week, there is NEVER a reason to go heavy. It fries your CNS and, in this situation, it turned out bad and is messing with your confidence.

As far as the test goes, get your mind on what you have to do. Try to forget about last week. Visualize yourself setting up, walking the weight out, squatting, and racking th weight with 3 white lights to follow. See yourself succeeding in your mind. Don't allow any negative thoughts to get in your head.

And next time, listen to the fat guy! I have a clue about this stuff.

Good luck! SFW!
    I followed the advice of JHarris. I should of tooken it light before my max out.

But I still hit 407

Banned
    It's all good. Lesson learned. Next time you'll know better. Congratulations.

Gamer/Lifter
    But a week off is like 7 days from your last squat session...

Which is basically what I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
    But a week off is like 7 days from your last squat session...

Which is basically what I had.
    Generally you need at least 10 good rest days before a meet. Nutrition and sleep should be optimal during that time, ideally.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

Banned
    Guido hit the nail on the head.
    "Good talk, son"
    Clarke W. Griswold