The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

GPP Plan During 2 "Weeks Off"

Ok, so I decided to start taking a couple weeks off here and there between routines. During this time I'd eat maintenance and basically the goal would be to let my joints/shoulders/lower back recover a little bit and maybe drop the amount of training off a bit ... just trying to get ready to go hard & heavy again.

The idea I guess would be to do different exercises, train different energy pathways, and just "change it up" a whole lot. The problem is that I don't have access to a sled, a tire, gymnastic rings or atlas stones.

That in mind, during my two weeks off, what kind of GPP work can I be doing?

Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well to build your own rings is pretty easy and cheap. Same goes with building a sand bag.

I've found with GPP it takes some creativity, but anybody can figure it out.

Search around this forum some more and I'm sure you'll find all the answers.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

+1 on the sand bag.
    I'm making my sled out of a car boot/trunk lid.
    A couple of medicine balls for wall ball shots.
    I'm sure you could find a tire from a recycling company thats torn up.

I guess the biggest issue is that I'm in college and don't really have much of a yard. I also live in a city without a ton of "fields." I'll have to get with Chubrock and see if we can cook something up.

How about the other issue, though? I train pretty hard, and after my various training cycles I'll usually leave with really beat up shoulders. Should I completely abstain from anything that hits them (push-ups, wall-ball, boxing, overhead presses, etc)? Should I make sure anything that hits them is just really light/high reps?

I guess the same could be said for my lower back ...
    Last edited by KingJustin; 03-25-2007 at 10:03 PM.

I know when I need a week off, it's completely off (no workout). Might be a good idea, but some light GPP would probably work as well.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

The problem I have with the "true week off" is that I end up losing my ability to lift with every ****ing exercise. You guys might think this is just mental but it's really not. I took off ~10 days and my T-Bar rows went from 130 x 8 to 100 x 7 and failing on #8. Every other exercise was about the same.

Now, I know in 4 weeks I'm setting PR's again, but that's 3 weeks of time that I just wasted screwing around. However, it's obviously better to lose 3 weeks like that than to keep going hard and then risking overtraining injuries that cost me 3 months.

So... I figured some kind of light GPP may be ideal, I'm just not exactly sure of the specifics, ala this thread.

You said if you take a week off you'll be back setting PRs by week 4 of your return. That sounds pretty sweet to me. So the question is, if you didn't take that week off, would you still be setting PRs by week 3-4?

If you are determined to do something, I'd work on a skill and maybe some light active recovery type stuff.

For example, how are your pistols? Handstands? Levers? L-sits? Pick a couple of skills and practise. Take the mountain bike through some trails. Play Frisbee. Etc, etc.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310