Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: unspoken, unwritten laws of the powerlifitng community

  1. #1
    Gamer/Lifter
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    2,093

    unspoken, unwritten laws of the powerlifitng community

    I think WBB should get together, and write this. You know laws like not curling in the squat rack, what to do in current situtions etc. Cause we all know sometimes we get into the sitution where you believe common sense should be enough but it clearly it isn't.

    Discuss.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

  2. #2
    ANVIL POWER Detard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,533
    Man Law
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

    "im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

    TJW

  3. #3
    Senior Member McVein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,159
    chins up rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

  4. #4
    Team Chesticles! Unholy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,880
    Don't use the pink dumbbells.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

    At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

  5. #5
    Chubbilicious. VikingWarlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Inderminapolis.
    Posts
    3,759
    Wouldn't this make the laws then both written and spoken?
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

    "Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

    Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

  6. #6
    WithABig Member Warrior10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    251
    Spot others as you would have them spot you.

  7. #7
    Senior Member McVein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,159
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    Wouldn't this make the laws then both written and spoken?
    this is a solid point i will whisper the rest of my points
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

  8. #8
    Rockin' the midlife crisis xraygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Meadville PA
    Posts
    1,366
    1. Put the plates, dumbells and all other equipment that you use away when you are finished!
    2. Don't interrupt someone's set unless the gym is burning down.
    3. Do not monopolize a piece of equipment for 45 minutes because you are BS'ing for 10 minutes between sets.

    How's that for starters?

    Diana

  9. #9
    is taking names. Can'tstopnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior10 View Post
    Spot others as you would have them spot you.


    Don't be the advice guy unless asked for it
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

    Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

    He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

  10. #10
    Banned bjohnso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,195
    Quote Originally Posted by xraygirl View Post
    1. Put the plates, dumbells and all other equipment that you use away when you are finished!
    2. Don't interrupt someone's set unless the gym is burning down.
    3. Do not monopolize a piece of equipment for 45 minutes because you are BS'ing for 10 minutes between sets.

    How's that for starters?

    Diana
    I especially like #1.

  11. #11
    Gamer/Lifter
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    2,093
    What I typed up in 5 minutes.

    Do you want to be respected among your fellow lifters? Do you want people in the gym to like you? Do you want to not be the bunt of jokes on weightlifting forums? Well here is your solution. Every annoyance that ticks us off in the gym is written down so the new comers are not lost when it comes to lifting and the laws behind it.
    1. Put your plates and dumbbells back from where you got them. There is nothing more annoying then having to take off 5-6 2 ½ LB plates to get to a 25 LB Plate because some idiot felt it would be a good idea to put it there.
    2. NEVER INTERFERE with someone’s set. If you have to cross, and you may bump into his weight, wait. He will not take an hour to finish his set. Only times to get involved in someone set is
    a. They are about to kill themselves due to them doing too much weight they can handle.
    b. There is a fire; even the fire one is questionable.
    3. The gym is not a social gathering scene. You go to the gym to work out, not socialize. You go to a bar to socialize. How do you think a Bar owner would feel if you’re brought in your power rack and got your workout done in the pub? Yea I got a hunch they wouldn’t appreciate it that much. Well guess what us lifters don’t appreciate you have a jolly old conversation about last weekends party well we are waiting to us what you’re using. Only conversation in the gym should be about lifting, and health. Any other conversation should stick to under 1 minute.
    4. Don’t give advice unless asked, especially if you aren’t qualified. We’ve all done bent over rows, and been told that is terrible deadlift form. All the while we are going “What the hell, but this isn’t a deadlift”. So if you’ve been lifting for 2 weeks you don't become Mr. Superman know it all. In fact wait a few years before you even consider yourself remotely knowledgeable because this sport is as old as man itself.
    5. Spot when asked to spot. Most of the times bigger guys get asked to spot because well the people they are spotting feel safer with them spotting them. So smaller guys may not know how this feels, but just do it. Unless this guy plays with like 400 Lbs. and needs a spot at 45 lbs. However that normally isn’t the case.
    6. Power racks are for power related stuff, like squats, shrugs and a place to do deadlift in (if there isn’t anywhere else), not for curling. Do not curl in the squat rack. I assure you will not get big off curls; however squats and deads are a different story.
    7. If you say you can’t squat cause of your back, but you can do leg press because your doctor told you that, find a new doctor. Leg press puts FAR MORE pressure on the back then any squat.
    8. Squats and deads are god’s gift to the lifting community, use them.
    9. Don’t ask “What’s your bench dude” ask “What your total is” it covers far more then just bench, and it shows your knowledge.
    10. There is always a person stronger then you. Get over it.
    11. Biceps do not help your bench, doing curls 7 days a week isn’t going do anything besides give you torn up biceps.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

  12. #12
    THUNDER THIGHS! Fuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    2,790
    'At some point in your career you are going to have to accept that people think you are a freak'
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

    My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

    Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

  13. #13
    Breaker of Skulls Guido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    40N 88W
    Posts
    11,316
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1


    My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

    "Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

  14. #14
    天龙 McIrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Deep in the night
    Posts
    2,393
    Yeah, I'm not singling anyone out here, but lately this web site has been inundated with kids typing up these outlandish statements that just reek of self-righteousness. Yes, we understand that you like lifting up heavy iron objects and putting them back down on the ground, but that doesn't give you license to feel so haughty and make it a "us powerlifters, rawr" versus "the rest of you clueless noobs" kind of dichotomy.

    All I'm saying is this - don't be so self righteous. Try to appreciate that even though you may cause more weighted plates to defy gravity than someone else does, you are not, in fact, superior to them in any way.
    25 years old, 5'10''

    Back in the States to get hayooooge!

    Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •