The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member DallasWorkout's Avatar

trouble finding the right personal trainer

I'm looking for a trainer to work with, but I'm having trouble finding one that I think is a good fit for me.

Because I am, for the most part, an ectomorph body type, it's been very hard for me to put on any muscle at all. I started at about 140# at age 20 and now at 30 I'm about 180#. I'd really like to put on another 40 pounds and I think I need some help to get there.

#1. I'm not interested in a trainer who knows all the "theory" behind training and nutrition, but because they're fat or skinny, doesn't have the body to show what they supposedly know.

#2. But looking to the guys who appear to have the knowledge because they have the body don't necessarily know what would help ME.

In my experience, 99% of male trainers with some size, even if they're certified and even if they have a degree (in exercise science, kinesiology, or whatever), are the guys who in high school and college were competitive athletes (usually in football) and have a mesomorph or endomorph body type... because of their body type (and yes, a lot of hard work, of course), they excelled in athletics and after they were no longer in competitive sports, just spent more time in the gym and got pretty big, pretty easily (easily in comparison to us ectomorphs anyway).

These guys have a training philosophy that takes the "theory" they've been taught, filters it through their experience of what has worked for them and their bodytype, and then they try to say that it should work for anybody.

I want to find a trainer who was a skinny runt like I was and now is BIG! I'm not opposed to working with a somebody who got their size with a little chemical assistance, but because I'm not quite ready to go that route myself, I don't want somebody who's doesn't know much about how to put on size naturally.

make sense? any thoughts on how to find somebody like this?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    If you want to gain weight, you simply need to eat more. How tall are you? If you aren't already, you should be tracking everything you eat on www.fitday.com - sign up, it's free.

You don't need to find a personal trainer to gain weight. You can find all the information you need on this site. Read the stickies...or check out the quadrillion links in my signature.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 03-24-2007 at 06:04 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Banned
    IMO, screw personal trainers. Use WBB for your questions, use wbb1,2,3, lift hard, eat a lot, get alot of sleep, drink plenty of liquids.

A personal trainer will help motivate you, I suppose. In order for he/she to do so you must first show up to the gym. So if your intention is to show up anyway why not save yourself the $ and read up here and take the info gained to the gym you are going to show up to anyway.

Heavy compound lifts plus a caloric surplus will pack on lbs. Read up here on diet and lifting routines and get to it. Don't forget to get proper sleep, very important imo.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    If you want to gain weight, you simply need to eat more.
    :withstupi

Banned
    the best way you are going to learn is to teach yourself, you already know yourself better then a personal trainer would, and have gone through alot of trail and error already, might take you some more, only you can really teach yourself more, and take youself to the next level.

like others here have said your going to have to consume more fuel, and put alot of heavy effort into it.

What SH said. A good training partner with similar goals is definately going to be a bonus, and they are free!

finding a good workout partner is easier SAID than DONE

I'm not usually an "advice guy" here because I don't think I have the results to preach to people. BUT, the only thing I would say is that one thing I've learned is that there are 2 parts to getting bigger, there is the formula, and the execution. The formula is the proper diet and routine, the execution, is to stick to eating that proper diet and sticking to lifting that routine!

The formula can be pickedup by the generous and knowledgeable people here on the board, but the execution is up to you. You have this board for the formula, and yourself for the execution, so what good is a trainer going to do for you?

I'm bringin sexy back lifter4life's Avatar
    i couldnt justify the cash it would cost when I could just do it myself. (I used to be a trainer)

Addicted to Adrenaline LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    Maybe I am oblivious to what a personal trainer is most commonly used to, but this doesnt seem like a too big a problem for me to solve... imo, there are very few questions that people on this board will not answer. So basically what Im trying to tell you, is that youve already got one of the best trainers out there, in finding wbbf. If you need them to check out your form than just post a video. Or if it is the motivation that you are looking for than make a log thing (idk what there called) and believe me you will get tons of motivational feedback.

If that isnt sufficient for you, than I would suggest finding someone else to go to the gym with, making friends with someone that youve seen at your gym before, or asking someone that works at the gym (I can honestly tell you, that unless whoever is working is just in it for the money, im sure they will be happy to help you. I work in my gym, and maybe im just crazy, but when I see a person who is incorrectly performing an exercise or is not using a full rom, I am ussually the one that confronts them, because I understand that it might be embarrasing to confront me. On the other hand, those who do confront me I ussually give them advice and try to remember who they are and check out how theyre doing on that exercise the next time they come to the gym).

Watchya talkn bout willis
    If you were gonna shell out the cash, i would just do it for about a month and have them teach you how to dead/squat/goodmorning ect the right way.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You can fork out the cash for this ~> Starting Strength
    "The only easy day was yesterday."