The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Question about Korte's 3x3

So im about to finish week 6 of this 8 week routine and so far im regretting this. I did well the first 4 weeks in the high volume phase and thought this would help my lifts but from what I can tell it hasnt. I deadlifted 350 2x1 this week and it was harder than the 365 single i did weeks before this routine. So this is telling me that I probably wont get the 375 single next week, so that = no progress. I also benched 205 2x1 this week and it was very hard, before I was benching 200x4 which was already way down from the 215x5 max I had from last year.

So basically iv been eating right, lifting right, and yet when I go up for a single at near my old max its very hard. It seems this routine hasnt done anything at all. I might not contine and just start a different routine next week.

The first 4 weeks of this routine is focused on very light weight with high reps and I thought this may be good but it hasnt done anything for my strength.

Should I stop after this week? or go till i fail on the lifts, or what?
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

if your training high reps you can still make it heavy just not as heavy as you can when u do low reps also you 1 rep max most likely will not go up very much if at all it you are doing high reps but that does not mean you did not get stronger if you want your one rep max to go up you need to train with low reps and probally above 80%

how many weeks have u done already?
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

Quote Originally Posted by 8.8 View Post
    if your training high reps you can still make it heavy just not as heavy as you can when u do low reps also you 1 rep max most likely will not go up very much if at all it you are doing high reps but that does not mean you did not get stronger if you want your one rep max to go up you need to train with low reps and probally above 80%

how many weeks have u done already?
    Have you looked over the routine? The first 4 weeks are basically 60% of your 1rm with 5-8 sets of 5. So its not really higher reps either, just more sets. Supposedly this routine worked great for many people but I havent made anything out of it.

Tonight is the end of week 6 of the 8 week competition phase

heres my routine laided out.

http://users.upstate.net/zoom/pl/korte_3x3.php

yeah forget it, i did a single at 285 just now and it felt like a boulder. Iv done 315 without that much struggle weeks before this routine. New routine next week, this ones garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Natetaco View Post
    yeah forget it, i did a single at 285 just now and it felt like a boulder. Iv done 315 without that much struggle weeks before this routine. New routine next week, this ones garbage.
    That's a pretty bold statement to make. I've made great progress with Korte's 3x3. You say you've been eating right... How much weight have you put on in the course of the program?

Also, if that's the template you've been following it's wrong... It's not supposed to be 5-8 sets of 5 reps. It's 5 sets of 5-8 reps.

Normally we see 3x10 as 3 sets of 10 reps. However, most eastern block routines would read that as 10 sets of 3 reps. Whoever made that template didn't know that.

How about get your head in the game, stop psyching yourself out and telling yourself you've wasted 6 weeks just because you had one bad workout.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

are you sure its 5x5-8 reps? I saw 2 sites that had it the way iv been doing it. If that were the case that I had been doing the routine wrong the whole time then that would explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Natetaco View Post
    are you sure its 5x5-8 reps? I saw 2 sites that had it the way iv been doing it. If that were the case that I had been doing the routine wrong the whole time then that would explain it.
    Who knows... Maybe I'm crazy. I did 5 sets of 8 reps and saw great results. I'll do some looking and see if I can find the site that I read that on. The first time I did Korte's 3x3 was a long time ago...
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)