Thread: sumo vs normal deads??

Banned

sumo vs conventional deads??

ive always been curious of the sumo deadlift. im a pretty tall guy at a little over 6'2 and its all in the legs...should i try the sumo and if so how do i do it? i have good leg strength and ive heard it doesnt use ur legs as much. any input is appreciated
    Last edited by WyztaTrjnsFtbll; 03-26-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Banned
    For one, there is no "normal" deadlift. It's called conventional. And IMO, sumo is alot easier than conventional because in sumo your feet are almost as wide as the bar just before the plates.

Sumo - spread feet out just before the plates, go down to grab the bar (you legs should make or close to a 90 degree angle) then place you left hand facing out and your right hand facing in, and then prepare, then lift.

Conventional - feet a little more than shoulder width apart, left hand facing out and right hand facing in, prepare, lift straight up. (making sure that bar is close to your body as possible, even rubbing shins)

Keep your head up, back straight, and ass out.

Note: This is for straightbar deadlift. Trap bar sucks.

Sumo is not easier for everyone.

The alternate grip can be either way

The trap bar has its place.

To the OP: Give it a shot. To me, pulling sumo is a bit more technical - if my form isn't just right, I don't pull well; with conventional, my form can get off and I can still finish the lift.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    Sumo is not easier for everyone.

The alternate grip can be either way

The trap bar has its place.

To the OP: Give it a shot. To me, pulling sumo is a bit more technical - if my form isn't just right, I don't pull well; with conventional, my form can get off and I can still finish the lift.
    :withstupi
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorWalls View Post
    For one, there is no "normal" deadlift. It's called conventional. And IMO, sumo is alot easier than conventional because in sumo your feet are almost as wide as the bar just before the plates.

Sumo - spread feet out just before the plates, go down to grab the bar (you legs should make or close to a 90 degree angle) then place you left hand facing out and your right hand facing in, and then prepare, then lift.

Conventional - feet a little more than shoulder width apart, left hand facing out and right hand facing in, prepare, lift straight up. (making sure that bar is close to your body as possible, even rubbing shins)

Keep your head up, back straight, and ass out.

Note: This is for straightbar deadlift. Trap bar sucks.
    sumo is not easier by any means. Sumo at 300 may be easy for you but sumo at 300 may be hard for someone else. Lifting sumo will shorten the ROM though.

Hands dont HAVE to be left out right in. Alternate or mixed grip can be whatever you prefer. Some people use double over hand, snatch grip, hook...etc.

you want to pull BACK and up. If you pull up only the bar may start to drift from your body which can lead to a bad lift.

go to www.exrx.net and check the video on sumo and conv. deads and search on youtube for some videos. Heavy bomber has really good form in his videos (check his journal)
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

I'd say that with ur height you should pull conventional, usually taller people with long arms due well with it but if you say your all legs then maybe sumo.

Perhaps you shouldn't limit yourself, right now I mix up both with each set I do switching back and forth to see which works for me and it seems sumo is easier to lockout and conven is easier to explode off the ground.

Banned
    do both

i think im 6'5 so a little taller id say im also more legs than arms, i would pull sumo but its not allowed for strongman so i dont - did it twice, first time i pulled a 6 rep pr, second time i up'd the weight by 40lbs an hit the same number of reps

Quote Originally Posted by WyztaTrjnsFtbll View Post
    i have good leg strength and ive heard it doesnt use ur legs as much. any input is appreciated
    Actually it uses your legs quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorWalls View Post
    Conventional - feet a little more than shoulder width apart
    Actually you can have your feet as close as you want.