The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Cut advice please

Hey guys, I've decided that at this point, after about 3.5 years of bodybuilding, I want to get really cut for the first time. I have cut before, but only enough to lose the gut and never really get ripped. The end of my last cut took me to 193 lbs(from around 220), where I had no gut but wasn't ripped either. So having no experience at the low end of the BF spectrum since beginning BBing, I come seeking advice.

I'm 6'0 206-208 lbs right now, currently bulking up to 210 for the start of May.

I figure I would want to get down to 185-190 to be moderately ripped. That means losing about 25 lbs.

My questions are:

1)What do you think about doing it in one go (25 lbs in a row) vs cutting 10, maintaining/slightly bulking, cutting 10 more, repeat, etc.

2)Is 25 lbs more than you guys typically cut at once?

3)I understand that 1 -2 lbs/ week is a general guideline for a good speed to cut at. Do you guys find a big difference between 1 and 2 lbs per week in terms of being able to keep LBM?

4)Would 25 lbs in 3 months be faster than you guys would go?

5)Should I taper off the loss toward the end of the cut as I get leaner?

6) Simple calorie reduction, carb cycling, UD 2.0. Any reccomendations? My last cut was very simple: simply reduced calories, about 1 g/lb of LBM of protein, around 0.5 g/lb of lbm fat.

7)Finally, I noticed strength loss during my last cut, but half of those losses returned within a month of bulking again before I gained a single lb back. Should I take that to mean that strength loss while cutting does not neccessarily equal loss of LBM? Does having less energy or other factors affect strength directly and not neccessarily LBM?

Oh, and I realize 185 at 6'0" isn't very thick, but I started lifting at 153, so I have a thin frame and I'm okay with looking slim so long as it's a quality slim (for the short term).

Thanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

1) All at once
    2) No
    3) It depends on lots of factors, many more important than how many pounds you drop in a week.
    4) It's about right. I would focus more on bodyfat change than weight.
    5) You may not have a choice.
    6) Depends on many things. IMO, mostly on how fat you are now.
    7) Strength loss doesn't necessarily mean LBM loss, but it might. There are other factors involved, yes.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Thanks.