Thread: Newbie Starting up

Wannabebig Member

Newbie Starting up

Hey guys I'll give a little intro first on myself. My names Nick I'm almost 16 and 1/2. I currently weigh 164 pounds and I'm around 5' 7" - 5'8". I have quite a bit of fat around my stomach area and some above my upper legs. I've tried to get started up before but I lost my motivation very quickly. I've had a membership to Bally's gym and my friend signed up to the same one, in hopes to get in shape like me. So for the past ~2 weeks I've been putting my membership to use. I've been following the Wbb1 workout routine and I jog at least one mile per day, sometimes another mile at my house. All of my running is done on a treadmill. One question is does it matter whether you run outside or on a treadmill?My main goals are to get in shape and feel better. I want to look really cut, but not too big. I'm kind of small for a 16 year old body wise. My main question is whether you guys think I should bulk now or cut? Sorry for no pic's I don't have a digital camera. Thanks in advance I need to know where to start. =}
    Last edited by T3hNick; 03-30-2007 at 04:17 PM.

Back in the game
    hello and welcome to the forum
    Lordy,Lordy.
    Wont mind hanging out the back of that- Paddy.

There is a miracle supplement its called 110%
    Hardwork that is..........- Peter Parker

Your workouts are only limited cos of your imagination- Peter Parker

No movie makes me Question my own sexuality quite like this one - Gyno Rhino

Don't cut until you've put on some muscle, otherwise you will just look skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by scission View Post
    Don't cut until you've put on some muscle, otherwise you will just look skinny.
    This has to be the most thoughtless comment ever. Anyway, ignore this horrible advice. You want to be in shape, and the first thing you've got to do is lose the fat so that you can add some muscle. Start your cut. There is plenty of info on these forums that will help you out. Running on a treadmil is still running. Judging from what you've said about your height, weight and build, you've probably got a good 40 pounds you could afford to lose. I'd probably start a bulk when you feel like you are not overweight anymore (130s-140s?) Check out crossfit, and get on that diet.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the info Kiaran. The only problem I have with really strict diets and meal plans is that my mom wont cook a whole separate meal for me and I dont food shop so I can't buy the stuff. Anyways anyone got some real good tips for burning my fat. Thank you!

Wannabebig Member
    BTW 40 pounds is way too much to lose. Theres no way im getting down to the 120's thats way too skinny. I have about 20-25 pounds of fat on me.

Wannabebig Member
    I have no idea what to do if I'm going to continue to bulk for a little. I might want to get up to 170-175 and then cut, or is this too much?

i would just start eating really clean. nice high protein intake. And just lift. Cut down on your running. you will burn off body fat and build muscle.

start tracking what you eat here: www.fitday.com

A mile every day is a little too much if you're wanting to put on some muscle. I'd do it once or twice a week.
    I agree with Roddy. Just start eating clean and taking in a lot of protein. 150-200GMs a day.

Worry about the specifics later. Since you're new to the game, you're going to see progress.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Quote Originally Posted by T3hNick View Post
    thanks for the info Kiaran. The only problem I have with really strict diets and meal plans is that my mom wont cook a whole separate meal for me and I dont food shop so I can't buy the stuff. Anyways anyone got some real good tips for burning my fat. Thank you!
    Try talking to your parents. Tell them of your goals and your desire to eat healthy. Convince them to buy lean cuts of beef, bonless skinless chicken, fish (tuna is a great protein source), whole grains/wheat breads, natural peanut butter, low fat dairy products, dark green veggies, and stick to water only. There should be no reason they would disagree with this healthy choice. If for some reason they say no, and you cant control how clean your diet is, you are going to need to focus on portion control. Try to eat 5-6 small meals a day. Track your calories and start by subtracting 15-20%. Keeping working out hard, run if you like, and watch your body take shape. I wish you luck.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks all for the posts. Another disadvantage i have is school. I cant really eat 5-6 well balanced out (time wise) meals in a day. Also I can't have the most healthiest lunch or breakfast in the world either, since I wont be at home. Usually I have a cereal of my choice, nothing sweet like froot loops, I usually go with cheerios and some 2% milk. Then for lunch I have either peanut butter and jelly (7g protein) on white bread, or like an American cheese sandwich. For dinner I usually have a small portion of whatever my mom cooks, if it's unhealthy ill eat w/e greens she makes for sides or some salad. When it is healthy I do not eat like a glutton. If anyone can help me ny telling me some easier, healthier meals that will work well in my situation, and how to get ~160 grams of protein a day w/o drinking like 7 protein shakes. Thanks in advance!

Wannabebig Member
    Oops forgot to mention, I'm still trying to decide if I cut now, will i be too skinny?
    Last edited by T3hNick; 03-31-2007 at 09:30 PM.

School should not be a factor, I actually find it easier to eat at school. I usually take a 1000 calorie shake to school and lots of nuts and just eat them throughout the day, you'll be amazed at how fast you'll be eating them nonstop. And of course I eat lunch and breakfast there also.
    I never go anywhere without a bag of nuts (which has tons of calories and healthy fats if you didnt know).
    And stay away from junk food.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by znorad; 04-01-2007 at 12:07 AM.

Oops forgot to mention, I'm still trying to decide if I cut now, will i be too skinny?
    Just build some muscle. Muscle is anabolic tissue, meaning the more you have, the higher your metabolism (which is why the big boys around here have huge calorie intakes).

I'm guessing you will lose some fat right from the get go if your workouts are intense enough.

I would start lifting and eating at maintenence and adjust from there.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by znorad View Post
    School should not be a factor, I actually find it easier to eat at school. I usually take a 1000 calorie shake to school and lots of nuts and just eat them throughout the day, you'll be amazed at how fast you'll be eating them nonstop. And of course I eat lunch and breakfast there also.
    I never go anywhere without a bag of nuts (which has tons of calories and healthy fats if you didnt know).
    And stay away from junk food.
    Good luck.
    I hate nuts =[. Yea I've been staying away from all junk food, just mainly eating small portions of all my meals. Along with my wbb1 routine and he jogging. Any thoughts on how long before I should start to cut?

...I currently weigh 164 pounds and I'm around 5' 7" - 5'8". I have quite a bit of fat around my stomach area and some above my upper legs...I want to look really cut, but not too big. I'm kind of small for a 16 year old body wise. My main question is whether you guys think I should bulk now or cut?...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    ...You want to be in shape, and the first thing you've got to do is lose the fat so that you can add some muscle. Start your cut...Judging from what you've said about your height, weight and build, you've probably got a good 40 pounds you could afford to lose...
    ...40 pounds is way too much to lose. Theres no way im getting down to the 120's thats way too skinny. I have about 20-25 pounds of fat on me.
    I have no idea what to do if I'm going to continue to bulk for a little. I might want to get up to 170-175 and then cut, or is this too much?
    ...I'm still trying to decide if I cut now, will i be too skinny?
    ...Any thoughts on how long before I should start to cut?
    OK. So according to you, you are ~25 lbs overweight (I will bet more). You want to be "ripped" and look like a lean, carved bastard. You don't know whether to bulk or cut because you want both at the same time. You are VERY worried about getting "too skinny", but don't want to be "too big" either. I'd say you are a little confused about your goals. Perhaps you should just start working out and eating healthier and see where that takes you.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log