The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Help for a relative newbie....

Hello everyone. Just joined the forum. Was hoping I could get some guidance for what I want to accomplish.

Background: I have some weight training experience, but just basic stuff to help me get stronger to look a little better and to play certain sports. I have no desire to to really big or compete or anything like that.

What I need help with: I play in a mens inline hockey league. I only started skating about a year ago. What is painfully obvious is that I do not have the leg strength to compete effectively in this league and to improve my skating. (This is despite just training and finishing a marathon). What I'd like to do is double my quad strength.

Specific questions:
    1. How do measure my current strength?
    2. Other than squats, are there any other exercises I should focus on?
    3. Since hockey requires quick bursts of energy generated from the quads, should my reps be done quicker?
    4. Should I focus on more reps, less weight, or fewer reps, more weight?
    5. Should I use creatine or any other substances to speed up my progress?
    6. How long do you think it would take to double my quad strength, and is this even a realistic goal?

I hope I didn't ask too many stupid questiions and thanks for your help.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    1. Max out but warmup properly. Focus on the big 3: Bench, Squat, Deadlift.
    2. Post in 1.
    3. No, you could hurt yourself.
    4. More weight, less reps.
    5. Creatine, Protein, eat...sleep...drink ALOT!
    6. No telling. Everyone is different.

When you cardio, do interval training. High intensity sprints followed by low intensity active recovery.

You could do this running while on a track or you could even do this on/in a rink.

You actually should do a combination of controlled speed (high rep) and heavy (low rep) squats to improve burst. The key is being controlled and using the proper weight for less risk of injury.
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

Quote Originally Posted by apierce View Post
    Hello everyone. Just joined the forum. Was hoping I could get some guidance for what I want to accomplish.

Background: I have some weight training experience, but just basic stuff to help me get stronger to look a little better and to play certain sports. I have no desire to to really big or compete or anything like that.

What I need help with: I play in a mens inline hockey league. I only started skating about a year ago. What is painfully obvious is that I do not have the leg strength to compete effectively in this league and to improve my skating. (This is despite just training and finishing a marathon). What I'd like to do is double my quad strength.

Specific questions:
    1. How do measure my current strength?
    2. Other than squats, are there any other exercises I should focus on?
    3. Since hockey requires quick bursts of energy generated from the quads, should my reps be done quicker?
    4. Should I focus on more reps, less weight, or fewer reps, more weight?
    5. Should I use creatine or any other substances to speed up my progress?
    6. How long do you think it would take to double my quad strength, and is this even a realistic goal?

I hope I didn't ask too many stupid questiions and thanks for your help.
    1. Find a rack, and squat. You will find your answer.
    2. Squats, deadlifts, lunges. I would also look up crossfit, there are some good explosive excercies in there. I would do HIIT in combination w/ any or all of these excercises.
    3. Do your goals include muscular endurance? or just strength? I know nothing of hockey or the physical demands.. so i will let you answer first.
    4. ^
    5. Theres really not much need, I dont think your goal is to gain mass as much as it is to gain functional strength. (you still need to eat right and make sure you are getting adequate sources of protein)
    6. This is a very realistic goal and I think you will be suprised at your results. When I first began to incorporate squats into my program I could push out a meager 135lbs. Today I can probably squat low 400's. This progress was over a 2 year period, but i reached the mid 200's within 6 months of my training. I know alot of other people here can personally attest to similar results in their own training programs.

Height: 6'2
    Weight: 195 (01JAN09)
    B/F: 11%
    Goal Weight: 210
    Starting weight: 150 (10/1/04)

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancom41 View Post
    1. Find a rack, and squat. You will find your answer.
    2. Squats, deadlifts, lunges. I would also look up crossfit, there are some good explosive excercies in there. I would do HIIT in combination w/ any or all of these excercises.
    3. Do your goals include muscular endurance? or just strength? I know nothing of hockey or the physical demands.. so i will let you answer first.
    4. ^
    5. Theres really not much need, I dont think your goal is to gain mass as much as it is to gain functional strength. (you still need to eat right and make sure you are getting adequate sources of protein)
    6. This is a very realistic goal and I think you will be suprised at your results. When I first began to incorporate squats into my program I could push out a meager 135lbs. Today I can probably squat low 400's. This progress was over a 2 year period, but i reached the mid 200's within 6 months of my training. I know alot of other people here can personally attest to similar results in their own training programs.
    Thanks so much for your comprehensive answer. Thanks to the others as well. What a great forum. To answer your questions:

2. Don't know what crossfit or HIIT are but I will look them up. Looks interesting.

3/4. Muscular endurance. Yes, I think that is important, but probably not my primary goal. To be more specific, I play inline hockey in a small inline rink with some good and some bad hockey players. Hockey involves basically skating your ass off for 2-3 minutes (pros are more like 45 seconds), some minor upper body contact (its a no-checking league). Skating requires deep, frequent and powerful knee bends and pushing off (one at a time). After 2-3 minutes skating, you rest for 4-6 minutes before playing again. The whole game is 45 minutes long. Bottom line is I am slow and I lack good balance. I also get absolutely exhausted after 1 minute on the rink if I'm skating hard. I just finished my first marathon on Sunday and all of the marathon training did
    VERY LITTLE for my hockey endurance or strength, except that total strength during the game (what little there is) seems to last longer so thats good. So to answer your question, muscular endurance is a tangential goal, but pure strength is the primary goal so that I can skate better and be better when I'm NOT tired.

5. Interesting you don't suggest creatine. Quite frankly, I would rather avoid the cost. But creatine won't help with functional strength? Didn't know that.

6. Thanks for this encouragement. Even if I added 10-20% strength improvement, I think my skating skills would be dramatically improved. 100% would be fantastic.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    You actually should do a combination of controlled speed (high rep) and heavy (low rep) squats to improve burst. The key is being controlled and using the proper weight for less risk of injury.

Would I do this on the same day or on different days? Also, is twice a week good or could I do squats 3 times a week?

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorWalls View Post
    1. Max out but warmup properly. Focus on the big 3: Bench, Squat, Deadlift.
    2. Post in 1.
    3. No, you could hurt yourself.
    4. More weight, less reps.
    5. Creatine, Protein, eat...sleep...drink ALOT!
    6. No telling. Everyone is different.
    I don't want to be mean, but you have no business giving other people advice right now.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Banned
    Random, but okay.

Quote Originally Posted by apierce View Post
    Would I do this on the same day or on different days? Also, is twice a week good or could I do squats 3 times a week?
    Different days. 1 day dynamic effort the other day maximum effort. It's a basic principal of the westside routine.
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

For bursts of speed needed for football and or Hockey a set of 20 runs up a steep incline about 30 yds. Jog down, pause for 10 seconds, and then get your ass moving up hill again.

This will either make you faster and stronger with stamina or kill you.
    Last edited by Angler; 03-28-2007 at 09:30 AM.