Hello everyone. Just joined the forum. Was hoping I could get some guidance for what I want to accomplish.
Background: I have some weight training experience, but just basic stuff to help me get stronger to look a little better and to play certain sports. I have no desire to to really big or compete or anything like that.
What I need help with: I play in a mens inline hockey league. I only started skating about a year ago. What is painfully obvious is that I do not have the leg strength to compete effectively in this league and to improve my skating. (This is despite just training and finishing a marathon). What I'd like to do is double my quad strength.
1. How do measure my current strength?
2. Other than squats, are there any other exercises I should focus on?
3. Since hockey requires quick bursts of energy generated from the quads, should my reps be done quicker?
4. Should I focus on more reps, less weight, or fewer reps, more weight?
5. Should I use creatine or any other substances to speed up my progress?
6. How long do you think it would take to double my quad strength, and is this even a realistic goal?
I hope I didn't ask too many stupid questiions and thanks for your help.