The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Frustrated

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Frustrated

This is more of a vent than a question.

I feel like I can never get to where I want to be physically. First, let me give you some background. I am a bilateral lung transplant recipient. I am very short for my age (24) and actually only look 16 or so. So it's very important to me to work out, not only for the health benefits, but to feel better about myself.

Anyway, since my immune system is supressed, I get sick once and while and either have to go into the hospital for a week or so or do IV meds at home. I was told today, that'd I'd be doing IV antibiotics for 7 days, starting tomorrow.
    Whenever I do IV meds, I have to scale back the weight or lay off working out completely. This time around, I'm just going to scale back and do more cardio to maintain.

But I feel like I get to a certain point in my fitness and then always to have to take time off because of illness. Like last summer, I was making some great gains and then had to stop because I had pneumonia. It put me out for nearly a month!

I am fortunate, though, because I feel like I have good muscle memory and my fitness returns pretty quickly (but I'm always scared it won't). Plus, I take prednisone every day, which can deteriorate muscles if they're not used.

So I don't really have a question to ask. I just need to rant. I really feel like if I was able to work out for 6 months straight I could be close to where I want to be. My weakness is my upper body. My chest is wimpy. My arms respond well to strength training, but still look skinny. I don't mind being skinny as long as I have some muscle definition and overall strength. But my chest is really lacking. The most I've worked out with chest-wise is doing the incline press with 27lb.dumbbells.

AAHHH!

Oh, well, I should be thankful that I am able to work out on any level. But it's still aggravating to have to take breaks, lose gains and work so hard for minimal gains in my chest.

Thanks for listening!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Damn man... I dont know what to say...

I guess telling you to breathe deeply and relx would be bad?

Hehe, sorry Im being a dick.

Is there any way to prevent you from getting sick in the first place?
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

I feel ya on the getting sick part and having to stop lifting.
    When I was in Iraq a stomach virus went around camp and eveyone got the ****s. Very bad diarrhea, and during that time I went from 200lbs to 189 in a matter of days. It took me a while to get back in it, but I did.
    The difference between the freaks and the flock is the ****ing fork!
    You wanna gain weight? Then it's time to squat!

I'm with ya man. I go to a university that has a quarter system (10 weeks per quarter) so every 5 weeks, I gotta lay off lifting for a week or more just to study for the midterm or finals. A week, hunched over a desk, doing nothing but reading and writing papers, doesn't stimulate any muscles and hence when I return to the gym, it takes about a week or two for me to get back into the flow of everything. I don't see gains until the second week. So yeah, for every 5 weeks, I'm only really gaining for 2-3 weeks, which is extremely frustrating when 1) you hate school and 2) you're not academically wired like most people attending your top 10 public university.

And then of course, there're the dreadful illnesses that I suffer right before midterm and finals. Sometimes all the stress can just take its toll on me. Last winter, I came down with an awful stomach virus that hospitalized me for two days and kept me out of the gym for about 3 weeks. I lost about a month's worth at that time.

So yeah, I understand exactly what you're going through.

Wannabebig Member
    Well, I can never guarantee myself that I won't get sick. Since my immune system is supressed, it's always a risk. I always wash my hands, eat well, get plenty of rest and stay away from people who are sick.