Thread: I'm doing too much on Mondays (I think, you tell me). What should I cut?

I'm doing too much on Mondays (I think, you tell me). What should I cut?

Monday:

Bench 3x6
    Deads 2x6
    Weighted Chinups 3x6
    Weighted Dips 3x6
    Db Chest Press 2x6
    BO DB Rows 3x6

=16 sets

16 isn;t a very high number, I know, and I do as much or more on other days. But Bench and Deads are really draining, and W Dips/Chinnies aren't much better at all. Lately I haven't been able to finish my workouts (today it was -1 sets from Dips, Chinnies, and a horribly failed last set of DB Rows). What should I do? Drop some sets here and there? Or should I just not move up in weight in anything until I get used to it?

Iron4Life
    Hows your diet on Mondays?

Banned
    That's WBB1 and i do...Bench, Incline Db Press, Dips, BO Bb Rows, Lat. Pulldowns, Deadlifts. Seems like to me your doing too much weight.

But for your routine don't do weighted dips/chins untill you get used to body weight, Incline on Db Press, and do BO Bb rows.

Bench: 6,6,4 (130)
    Deads: 6 (185) 6 (225)
    Chinups: 6, 5 (20)
    Dips: 5, 3 (20)
    Flat Chest Press: 6,6 (35's)
    BO DB Rows: 6,6 (55's)

Problems...

Bench - work up to 130....120,125,130
    Chins - same...work up....15x6, 20x6
    Dips - should have done, 6 @ 10, 6 @ 15
    FCP and BO DB Rows look fine.

"Also i've given up on Incline Press. It's the stupidest thing, some weeks I can get 2x6 with the 35's easily (easy as in I could do at least one more full set, other weeks I can't get a single rep (not an exaggeration). Flat Chest Press just works out better somehow."

Incline Press is designed to work your Clavicle Head. FCP is just like bench, which works your Sternal Head.
    Last edited by WestsideWarrior; 03-26-2007 at 06:15 PM.

I would drop two of the chest presses and add overhead press and squat.

The volume is fine. The idea that you are lifting too much weight is silly.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Bench 3x6
    Deads 2x6
    Weighted Chinups 3x6
    Weighted Dips 3x6
    Db Chest Press 2x6
    BO DB Rows 3x6
    Looks fine to me. Maybe Alternate the dumbell press one week and BB bench another week? I dunno...it looks doable to me.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    What does the rest of your split look like?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorWalls View Post
    Incline Press is designed to work your Clavicle Head. FCP is just like bench, which works your Sternal Head.

No this is wrong. The incline press was designed to work shoulders NOT the pecs and certainly not one head of the pec.

As for the OP, I'd separate chest and back if you find it so draining to put the two together.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-27-2007 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    No this is wrong. The incline press was designed to work shoulders NOT the pecs and certainly not one head of the pec.
    This, too, is wrong.
    Last edited by Progress; 03-27-2007 at 06:44 AM.

Cross trainer & DL addict mikesbytes's Avatar
    Are we talking Barbell Incline Press ?

If so, its targeting Pectoralis Major, Clavicular which is at the top of the chest just below the shoulders.

Cut one of your Big 3 exercises. I am highly against doing more than 1 on the same day. I believe your focus should be on 1 in each workout and then doing auxiliary exercises around it. So I say bench or dead should be removed and 1 or the other should be moved to another day. There are 7 days in a week afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by freac View Post
    Monday:

Bench 3x6
    Deads 2x6
    Weighted Chinups 3x6
    Weighted Dips 3x6
    Db Chest Press 2x6
    BO DB Rows 3x6

=16 sets

16 isn;t a very high number, I know, and I do as much or more on other days. But Bench and Deads are really draining, and W Dips/Chinnies aren't much better at all. Lately I haven't been able to finish my workouts (today it was -1 sets from Dips, Chinnies, and a horribly failed last set of DB Rows). What should I do? Drop some sets here and there? Or should I just not move up in weight in anything until I get used to it?
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Banned
    ^^Agreed

I'd get rid of DB bench.
    Last edited by Bupp; 03-27-2007 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    This, too, is wrong.
    The incline press was originally done to improve the overhead press.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    This, too, is wrong.

tuttut

Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-27-2007 at 10:21 PM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesbytes View Post
    Are we talking Barbell Incline Press ?

If so, its targeting Pectoralis Major, Clavicular which is at the top of the chest just below the shoulders.

No. ANY chest exercise works the ENTIRE chest muscle. We have gone through this countless times. You can not isolate one part of the chest or one of the heads.

No. ANY chest exercise works the ENTIRE chest muscle. We have gone through this countless times. You can not isolate one part of the chest or one of the heads.
    Exrx is not saying it isolated, it is saying;
    Target
    * Pectoralis Major, Clavicular
    Synergists
    * Deltoid, Anterior
    * Triceps Brachii
    Dynamic Stabilizers
    * Biceps Brachii, Short Head

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Exrx is not saying it isolated, it is saying;
    Target
    * Pectoralis Major, Clavicular
    Synergists
    * Deltoid, Anterior
    * Triceps Brachii
    Dynamic Stabilizers
    * Biceps Brachii, Short Head

Exrx IS saying that. It doesn't mention the sternal head AT ALL.

Incline barbell press targets the sternal head as well. Try and flex your clavicle head as hard as possible without moving the sternal head.

And I wouldn't rely too much on what Exrx says. Any source that uses the term "upper chest" is automatically suspect in my books. Once and for all . There is no lower, upper, inner or outer chest. Yes the pec has two heads. NO you can NOT target one without involving the other. This has been hashed out before on this board COUNTLESS times.

Do a search and you will see. This should get you started. Read what Cackerot69 and Belial (posts #52 and #67) have to say about the incline press---upper chest. And then read PowermanDL's post (#151) on the last page. In fact read the whole thread when you have time.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...t=inclinepress

And that's just ONE of the dozens if not hundreds of threads on this subject.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-28-2007 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    The incline press was originally done to improve the overhead press.
    Why am I doing incline press on chest day?

tuttut

Sorry, I wasn't familiar with this aspect of the lift. I always thought incline or at least and especially low-incline bench was a chest dominant exercise.

Learn something new every day.

Why am I doing incline press on chest day?
    Why do you have a chest day?
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Exrx IS saying that. It doesn't mention the sternal head AT ALL.

Incline barbell press targets the sternal head as well. Try and flex your clavicle head as hard as possible without moving the sternal head.

And I wouldn't rely too much on what Exrx says. Any source that uses the term "upper chest" is automatically suspect in my books. Once and for all . There is no lower, upper, inner or outer chest. Yes the pec has two heads. NO you can NOT target one without involving the other. This has been hashed out before on this board COUNTLESS times.

Do a search and you will see. This should get you started. Read what Cackerot69 and Belial (posts #52 and #67) have to say about the incline press---upper chest. And then read PowermanDL's post (#151) on the last page. In fact read the whole thread when you have time.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...t=inclinepress

And that's just ONE of the dozens if not hundreds of threads on this subject.
    I have a shoulder injury and I'm in the process of building a new routine / schedule and are currently using the info on Exrx as the primary basis. Knowing where Exrx is incomplete or wrong would be very useful information.

The posts in the thread you provided make interesting reading and are clearly written by members who know there stuff. I will endevour to read the entire thread. Unfortentually the only link providing supporting documentation no longer works.

Where is the supporting documentation the provides the information that is incomplete or wrong on Exrx?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    I have a shoulder injury and I'm in the process of building a new routine / schedule and are currently using the info on Exrx as the primary basis. Knowing where Exrx is incomplete or wrong would be very useful information.

The posts in the thread you provided make interesting reading and are clearly written by members who know there stuff. I will endevour to read the entire thread. Unfortentually the only link providing supporting documentation no longer works.

Where is the supporting documentation the provides the information that is incomplete or wrong on Exrx?

Well, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "supporting documentation"? Documentation for what exactly? That you can't train "upper chest" by itself? That's just anatomy and physiology.

Yes the chest has two heads. But you can't train one of them by itself since both are attached to the "belly" of the muscle. Think of it as pulling on one end of a rope. Even though you don't touch the other end...it still moves.

Hence the term "upper chest" or "lower chest" for that matter is flat out wrong. All chest movements will train the entire chest. I wouldn't say Exrx is flat out wrong in its description of how to do the exercises, just its terminology is. It may be possible to stimulate one part of the muscle MORE than another...but that stimulation will be negligible. If you manage to increase the "upper chest" (for want of a better term) the "lower chest" will increase as well. You can not induce significant growth in one part and not another. Again that's just anatomy and physiology.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-29-2007 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    Why do you have a chest day?
    That's not what I meant. I have it on horizontal push.