The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

bodybuilders vs fighters?

my mate is saying stuff like "body builders dont run cz they no there da ardest men on da planet"
    "ronnie coleman would beat any boxer"
    please tell him this aint true whatsoever!
    fighters fight period.
    bodybuilders lift weights.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

All the mass in the world won't help you if you don't know how to throw a punch. There's no muscle protecting any of the knock out sweet spots on the human head.

But against a similarly untrained opponent? It can make all the difference.

Tyson, in his prime and likely even now, would probably KILL Coleman before the ref finished saying 'I want a good, clean fight'.
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 03-30-2007 at 01:54 PM.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Yeah, it's not like strength training and size don't make a difference -- they do make a huge difference.

But, you can be bigger, faster, stronger, more athletic, and more powerful than a well trained fighter, but if you are untrained, you'll probably lose.

Skill training and conditioning are so essential to fighting. I've seen first hand some very jacked guys get the crap beat out of them by people that know how to fight (in my MMA gym).
    Last edited by KingJustin; 03-30-2007 at 02:37 PM.

It's my belief that ALL other factors being equal (flexibility, explosiveness, experience, endurance, etc) a big guy will beat a small guy every time.

But show me two world class fighters who match up perfectly except for size?
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer View Post
    All the mass in the world won't help you if you don't know how to throw a punch. There's no muscle protecting any of the knock out sweet spots on the human head.

But against a similarly untrained opponent? It can make all the difference.

Tyson, in his prime and likely even now, would probably KILL Coleman before the ref finished saying 'I want a good, clean fight'.
    I agree 100%. I would put money on most UFC/Pride fighters over any bodybuilder. Coleman would be like 'Lightweight I can do this...yeaaa budddyyy" and Lidell woulda knock his block off.

like people have said if both have the strength speed flexibility endurance obv skill then size will matter.

its a mix up mang. I dont think you can find a rule for this. I'm sure it could be disproved.

i'm sure there is some body builder out there who is one hell of a prize fighter.

Another example: i got jumped a year ago by a guy who could really fight, my size and strength was the only thing that saved me. I didnt get to punch him once, but i out powered him redicoulously and threw him into head first into a brick wall. Turned out he was some golden gloves big shot. He didnt get back up. I left in a hurry.

^^^ so thats no fighting skill (me) against a fighter.
    Last edited by Roddy; 03-30-2007 at 03:51 PM.

You could look at a guy like Kevin Randleman who is basically both. He has gotten his ass kicked by guys that would never be considered a bodybuilder. IE Chuck Liddell
    Last edited by seK; 03-30-2007 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    its a mix up mang. I dont think you can find a rule for this. I'm sure it could be disproved.

i'm sure there is some body builder out there who is one hell of a prize fighter.

Another example: i got jumped a year ago by a guy who could really fight, my size and strength was the only thing that saved me. I didnt get to punch him once, but i out powered him redicoulously and threw him into head first into a brick wall. Turned out he was some golden gloves big shot. He didnt get back up. I left in a hurry.

^^^ so thats no fighting skill (me) against a fighter.
    This is freaking classic. This is like Indiana Jones shooting the fancy-pants swordsman. Score one for brute force!

"I left in a hurry." is even more amusing.

Ronnie Coleman is a bit of an extreme considering he's like nearly the biggest man alive muscle wise.

I don't doubt for one second though that there aren't highly skilled fighters out there that would make a joke of him.

I used to think that also, norways biggest bodybuilder is 300lbs at a low bodyfat. He got into a fight with a pretty good MMA amateur and the MMA guy eventually had to resort to shooting him to survive. He just could not fight against such serious strenght.

Now a Bob Sapp guy who has no agility, reflexes and speed...he gets killed by just most any fighter.
    Last edited by Rock; 03-30-2007 at 06:12 PM.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

I really don't think a bodybuilder with a decent amount of athletisicm wouldn't be able to hold his own against a MMA fighter. Think about it, a small guy going for a take down? Ronnie wouldn't be going anywhere. And lets say he does get him down and gets on top of him, he's not holding a 170 pound guy on the ground, he's holding a 250+ pound guy on the ground that can benchpress the MMA fighter with one arm. Sure, muscle doesn't protect your head and face, but you don't have to be a genius to keep your hands up. There's no telling how much punishment a bodybuilder can take to the torso and legs. The bodybuilder would just need to fight defensively and wait for that one opening where he can get a hold of the little guy, then its bear hand bone breaking time.

Bodybuilder vs Mike Tyson...that's another story. Getting punched by a mike-tyson-in-his-prime punch must feel like getting hit by a car.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

What about Francois Botha? He went 90 fights without losing, stepped into the K1 ring and did some damage.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Gamer/Lifter
    Here is the formula.

Size only matters in fighting if both of you are the same size.

I don't know all that much about Ronnie, however if he doesn't know how to fight (which IMHO wouldn't be that hard to believe) and a smaller guy went to fight him, the smaller guy could beat him up.

Fighting IS NOT ABOUT SIZE.

Just like tackling in football is worth jack **** if you ain't got any skill to begin with. Trust me I know this has been demonstrated to me. My PLer coach had me go agansit a girl to show that size doesn't matter she laid my ass out at 135 LBs. Not because she was stronger, but because she knew how to hit me.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Get big.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirino83 View Post
    I agree 100%. I would put money on most UFC/Pride fighters over any bodybuilder. Coleman would be like 'Lightweight I can do this...yeaaa budddyyy" and Lidell woulda knock his block off.
    LOL

Here is the formula... if he doesn't know how to fight ...and a smaller guy went to fight him, the smaller guy could beat him up.
    ^^^ dog ****! see my post above. there is no formula or rule. it can all be disproved.

You're all being too technical. The only thing that matters in a fight is who can kick the other guy in the nuts first.