Thread: increasing your verticle part 2

Banned

increasing your verticle part 2

well after the first thread, and doing some thinking and jumping I came to the revealation of the possisble reason my verticle back in highschool increased alot in the beginning then came to a screaching halt in my later years at attempting to increasing it was overtraining it. It seems logical that you can overtrain yourself in jumping as well as lifting.
    Back then i was jumping about every day playing basketball most days of the week and working hard, to hard to increase it, in turn i seriously hurt my knees.

well about 10 years later, and my knees have almost fully recovered (naturally with no surgery) i have been playing basket ball once a week for a cardio workout.
    my verticle has been increasing slowly, at least back to were it was around a 38" verticle. i was able to dunk on occation, very softly.
    well last week i came pretty close to dunking it, and am feeling more confident that my verticle is increasing still.

one thing i learned which helps me alot is to have my legs warmed up before i start jumping, with a good run, or game of basketball, after they fell slightly tired i have more spring in my legs and can jump easier and higher.

I have been working hard on my ATF squats to, doing well on increasing my set weight (265x10 from 225x10 3 months ago), but my max unfortunatly hasnt been moving up (315x1 to 325x1) still not sure if this though will help my leaping ability though.
    but i think the main thing that is moving my verticle up is that im not overtraining it, i think once or twice a week work well

Based on your height and vertical, that should put your hand 10-12" over the rim. Seems like you should be able to dunk without too much trouble?
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Height= 68"
    Height w/ arms extended (approx) = 102"
    Total + Vertical = 140"
    140" / 12 = 11.67ft
    Rim Height = 10ft

Video? lol.
    Last edited by ancom41; 03-27-2007 at 11:32 AM.

Banned
    height = 68"
    height with arm extended = 87" (have no idea here the 102" is coming from)
    tips of fingers above the rim 5"
    rim height = 120"
    able to touch = 125"

125-87 = 38" (and thats how to get my verticle.)

i figure ill need 2-3" more to dunk it.that would place my wrist at rim level.

I'm planning to dunk by christmas this year. At 6'3" it won't be very impressive unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    height with arm extended = 87"
    Ahhh, I figured you'd have a higher overhead reach. No wonder you have a good bench!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Banned
    lol my arms are average size for my height, they are maybe an inch from my knees when extended down.
    from armpit to fingertips is 29" or 2'5"
    Last edited by smokinHawk; 03-27-2007 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Ahhh, I figured you'd have a higher overhead reach. No wonder you have a good bench!
    Yea, seriously.. whats your wingspan? Generally its close to your height.

Banned
    measures 69" or 5'9", an inch more then my height.

Verticle

\Ver"ti*cle\, n. [L. verticula a joint.] An axis; hinge; a turning point.

vertical

adjective
    1. at right angles to the plane of the horizon or a base line;
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

SmokinHawk - Besides ATF squats. What else do you do? Got any routines for vertical increase? I know I should search but some of the crap out there seems unrealistic.

im 5'9" 205 lbs and can touch rim fairly easily, I know I could probably dunk if I cut my weight down a bit but I love out muscling taller people down on the block
    5'10" 196lbs as of 6/10/11
    Best lifts B 365/ S 425/ DL 545/ OHP 200
    Goals: B 385+ S 450+ DL 600+ OHP 225+
    Progression Pics->http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122375
    Journal with vids/pics http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...07#post2364507

Banned
    ive tried plyometrics before and it didnt seem to do anything.
    lately all i have been doing for verticle now is starting streaching, playing a game or two, then i start jumping and grabbing the rim, it seems like i need to warm up my legs with a quick run and im able to jump higher.
    so i do light runs then jumps on mondays, calves on tuesday, and ATF squats, hamstring curls, deadlifts on wednesday.
    Im not at the point yet were i can say its effectivly increasing my verticle, i might be just bringing it back to were it was, but i feel i am making pregress, ill find out it i can ever effectily dunk it.

i need to find some plateforms to start jumping on them again, wondering if i can do my 57" box jump like i did back in highschool.

ouch... that last post made my head hurt.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    ouch... that last post made my head hurt.
    It's funny. He can capitalize "ATF", and we know his shift key works 'cause he typed a couple "s. But no other capitalization.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Banned
    i'm an engineer, we dont waste time with silly stuff like that.

Just curious, are you going heavy on leg days?
    5'10" 196lbs as of 6/10/11
    Best lifts B 365/ S 425/ DL 545/ OHP 200
    Goals: B 385+ S 450+ DL 600+ OHP 225+
    Progression Pics->http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122375
    Journal with vids/pics http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...07#post2364507

Banned
    yes heavy for me
    my leg routine has been lately
    135x10 for a warm up (with streching before hand ofcourse)
    265x10 for 2 sets
    300x3
    315-325x1 (trying for 315x2 but havent got there yet)
    my set weight of the 265x10 has moved up pretty fast with some effort, as i started out with 225x10's about 3 months ago, but my max singles have stayed flat at 315-325 as my back seems to give out.

also been doing deadlifts after squats pulling stuff like 225x5 SLDL, 275x5 RDL, 315x5, 365x3, 385x1 to try and strengthen my back.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    ive tried plyometrics before and it didnt seem to do anything.
    lately all i have been doing for verticle now is starting streaching, playing a game or two, then i start jumping and grabbing the rim, it seems like i need to warm up my legs with a quick run and im able to jump higher.
    so i do light runs then jumps on mondays, calves on tuesday, and ATF squats, hamstring curls, deadlifts on wednesday.
    Im not at the point yet were i can say its effectivly increasing my verticle, i might be just bringing it back to were it was, but i feel i am making pregress, ill find out it i can ever effectily dunk it.

i need to find some plateforms to start jumping on them again, wondering if i can do my 57" box jump like i did back in highschool.
    Any time you practice jumping over and over, you are doing plyometrics. Also, platform(box) jumps are plyometrics. Plyometrics exercises in general are ones that make use of stored elastic energy as well as the stretch reflex. Basically, you find that if you warm up and then practice plyometrics, you get okay results.

The thing about plyometric exercises is that they were only ever meant to be done for a mesocycle at a time during a peaking session in sports. This suggests that they only help so much before you are limited by your raw strength and speed of contraction since plyometrics are designed to help you take advantage of that stored energy and your stretch reflex. That is, eventually, your stretch reflex is maxxed out and you can't store any more elastic energy.

Warming up with a quick run might be unnecessary and probably isnt giving you the best warmup. Dynamic mobility drills specific to jumping are probably better for this. Also, passive stretching before lifting/jumping has been shown to decrease maximal output. Long story short: get your body temperature up and your muscles lose by kneebends, leg swings, easier jumps, etc, and you'll have a better training session for the actual jumps to come.

Your workout seems a bit off to help you with your jumping (if that is your main goal.) Though I've seen slightly different numbers before, something like 45% of jumping comes from your hip extensors, 35% from your quads, and 20% from calves and other smaller muscles. Yet in your training, you spend 1 of 3 workouts doing calves or 20% of your jump, 1 of 3 workouts doing hip extensors and leg extensors or 80% of your jump, and 1 of 3 doing technique. You should consider splitting the hip/quad day and throwing calves in somewhere in there. This may add more strength which, all other things being held constant, could raise your vert.

Also - if you feel like you are not jumping at your best for your strength/speed, why not another jump day? Are your knees/hips/ankles sore at all?

Finally, some explosive movement with weight will attack the speed portion of a jump. Clean/snatch pulls would help here, and if you know the full motion, the snatch itself might be your best bet.

Jay

Banned
    I am trying something new,after doing all that junk back in highschool, i hit a brick wall and didnt get anywhere, and blew out my knees.
    I am not trying to hard to increase it, and seeing what helps increase it.
    I am not doing alot of jumping, compard to what i used to do. And i know it sounds strange and not like it would work, but after a game of basketball, with no rim grabs before hand, once my legs are starting to get tired, i am able to jump higher, then if i would do rim grabs, play a game, then do more rim grabs through out.
    so im saying run/game, legs are tired, and now grab the rim, i jump higher , then if i was to warm up by jumping, or warmup jumping, game, then jumping.
    and streching has always helped me jump higher.

my leg workout is not intended to increase my verticle, but am just trying to get my squat numbers higher, it seems like its not limiting my jumping ability either though.

occasionally after a game my knees get a little sore, also my feet from all the direction changes i do. Im starting to where some neoprene knee wraps (same i use on my squats) for prevention of injuries to. (lol im getting old)