The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

What do you think of my cutting routine?

My goal (obviously) is to lose fat and as little muscle as possible.

Tuesday:
    Squats 3x5
    Leg Press 3x10
    Flat Bench Press 4x5
    Flat Flyes 2x6/8 (this just means varying rep range, not doing both)
    Rack Pulls with Shrugs 3x6/8
    BB back rows 2x8
    BB Rear Delt Rows 2x8
    Wrist Curls 2x6 or 2x8

Thursday:
    Calf Raises 3x8/10
    DB Bicep Curls 2x6/8
    Concentration Curls 3x6/8
    CG Bench Press 3x6
    Skullcrushers 2x8/12
    Reverse BB Curls 2x6/8
    SLDL with Shrugs 3x8/10

Saturday:
    Seated Calf Raises 3x12/14
    Leg extensions 3x6/8
    Chins 3x6/8
    Wide Grip Pulldowns 2x6/8
    Bench Press 3x8/10
    Flat Flyes 2x5/6
    Lateral Raises 3x5/6
    Military Press 4x5

A few points. I still cannot do deadlifts sadly because of my dodgy right hip.
    Also i have tried to keep to the BGB idea of working each muscle twice a week, but I have lowered the volume, and this is mainly the area where I'm looking for opinions - is the volume too low? I usually do 5x5 for bench for example and 5x5 for chins, and I have lowered the number of sets for pretty much all excercises. Is this a good approach?
    About diet (I know its the wrong forum but as I'm here) I will be taking the same amount of protein (175 grams a day, I'm 168 lbs and a good bit of this is fat)) but I will be mostly cutting back on carbs and only a little reduction of fats, is this the right appraoch?
    Forgot to mention, I will be doing 25 mins of light cardio mondays, wednesdays and fridays.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by JConrad; 03-31-2007 at 06:52 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by JConrad View Post
    My goal (obviously) is to lose fat and as little muscle as possible.

You don't need a cutting routine at all. If you want to lose fat, diet. That is all you need. Lift heavy and hard so that the body "hangs onto" the muscle.

Most of those exercises are not exercises for keeping muscle. Your "cutting routine" should not differ greatly from your "bulking routine". Simply reduce your caloric intake.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-31-2007 at 08:06 AM.

Banned
    That looks like a ton of volume, especially considering you're going to be in a caloric deficit.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    That looks like a ton of volume, especially considering you're going to be in a caloric deficit.
    Thanks, that's what I was asking about. With this routine I have already lowered the volume from when I was bulking, but how much more should i reduce it by?

Songsangnim, do me a favour and assume your not talking to an idiot. This is the same as my normal routine - except the rep ranges are a little lower the number of sets are fewer.
    I don't need to be told that diet, not routine, determines outcome, I was simply wondering whether with reduced calories I should cut the volume even more.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Thanks, that's what I was asking about. With this routine I have already lowered the volume from when I was bulking, but how much more should i reduce it by?

Songsangnim, do me a favour and assume your not talking to an idiot. This is the same as my normal routine - except the rep ranges are a little lower the number of sets are fewer.
    I don't need to be told that diet, not routine, determines outcome, I was simply wondering whether with reduced calories I should cut the volume even more.
    Whoa there tiger! The only assumption I made was that your regular routine was mostly with compounds, not that you were an idiot.

The volume looks a tad high. You have a lot of sets and reps. Personally in a cutting phase I wouldn't do anything above 8 reps and very often just six. I'd also drop a few of the isolation movements thus saving my energy for the exercises that required the most effort.

Banned
    Keep it simple. Pick a couple of compound movements and do 4 sets of 6-8 reps. Then pick a couple of isolations and do 2 sets of 6-8 each. If you stick heavy, you'll find it very tiring.

You could also try Bill Starr's 5x5 routine, or have a look at Baby Got Back.