Thread: Sore shoulders after bench?

Sore shoulders after bench?

Now, this has been a reoccurring thing, but have only recently been worried by it. After I bench (incline, flat and decline), I wake up the next day with soreness in my shoulders...but more specifically, the front of my shoulders. I was wondering if this is something to worry about. I have been an avid lifter for some time and have only experienced this soreness as of late. The shoulders do not hurt when I throw a baseball (with moderate intensity), when I raises a weight over my head, etc. so I'm not thinking it is serious. I am of the mindset that I might be lowering the weight down too far which is causing the strain in my shoulders, but could be wrong. Does anybody know what might be causing this? Any help is appreciated...

Your front delts are used in benching, that is why. My front delts get sore every time I bench heavy.
    Last edited by KevinStarke; 03-31-2007 at 11:55 AM.

^ theres your answer.

On a side note though, theres really no need for you to be doing incline, flat and decline all in the same workout. This could be part of your problem.

So basically I shouldn't worry if the soreness subsides within a day or two?

I shouldn't being doing all three in the same workout? Why is that? I feel like such a noob right now

Quote Originally Posted by Go Pre View Post
    I shouldn't being doing all three in the same workout? Why is that? I feel like such a noob right now
    Its not necessary to do all three in the same workout unless you're doing only 2 sets per exercise. Your chest will get a good enough workout with only 5-6 sets per workout. More than that and you could be overtraining. I do chest twice a week and on each bench day I do 5 sets and so far it is working awesome for me. Just my opinion.
    h: 5'10" w: 169
    340/235/420

Everyone is different. Some people never get sore, some always do. Dont judge your workouts by soreness. If you are continueing to make gains, then you are doing something right. If you hit a platue, you might want to re-evaluate your routine or your diet.

If your target for all your presses is your chest, they all do they same thing. Theres no need to have that many excercises. It is an easy way to end up overtraining. But like I said, if you are seeing consistant gains, then keep it up. But this could become an issue in the future.