The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Train Like a Spartan spartansgym's Avatar

loved the article

I read the article on the gym computor and imediately began working on my form with good results. Thanks for the info

i have been using that for for years, I have always gotten great results.
    NOW
    Age - 25 Weight - 275 Height - 6'4" BF% - to high

Bench Press: 370LBS 11/13/06
    Squat: 135 X 6 11/7/06 (bad back, just working on form)
    Deadlift: 400LBS 11/10/06

Wannabebig New Member
    Whats your guys' opinion on benching with feet up on the bench and knees bent. I keep my should/back/butt on the bench, and bend my knees and keep my feet flat on the end too. Don't know why. Just started doing that once, and I feel fine doing it. Bench just over 300 lbs...body weight of 155.

I'm going to try this form in tomorrow workout and see what happens.

Super Ectomorph on Crack Justin Ryan's Avatar
    Great article, I realized everything I am doing is wrong. ha ha ha. I'll try this new form out tomorrow

Wannabebig Member
    I broke my right wrist (I'm left handed) twice as a kid once. Once completely through the bone.

I now find that my right tricep is a lot smaller & weaker as well as my right forearm, than my left (I have no other muscle is like this).

When I bench I can only do very few sets on a relatively heavy weight and my 1 rep max is also poor. I find that my right tricep never burns or gets pumped like my left. Also I can feel my left tricep doing most of the work.

Is there any way of sorting this out?

go see a doctor.
    PRs: B/S/D/T 235/295/435/965
    My Journal

New Goal: Explore my body's potential

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLion View Post
    go see a doctor.
    That's what I plan to do.

Wannabebig Member
    funny thing is i was taught not to arch that it destroys your form
    BENCH:215
    SQUAT: 450
    DEADLIFT:505
    HANGCLEANS:250
    SHRUGS:500
    SHUT UP AND SQUAT

tommy teen
    One time I benched 340. (HI)

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Sullivan View Post
    funny thing is i was taught not to arch that it destroys your form
    probably why your bench is so much lower than your squat and deadlift.

I've gotta agree with the guy who said he was taught NOT to arch the back. I was also taught not to arch the back in high school weightlifting class. Now, by no means is a high school lifting class or a high school weightlifting coach the authority on power-lifting. All I'm saying is, I believe we were taught NOT to arch the back because we were young and our bodies were still developing, thus things like arching of the back during benching and squating past parallel were advised against.

I think the problem is no one ever actually said, "Ok, your body has gone through it's development stage, you can lift like this now."

I don't think he was trolling, really no need to berate the guy for making a comment that wasn't agreed upon by the general population. He never mentioned that he was elite, nor that he trained with elite people. Just stated that he was taught the exact opposite of what that article said.
    Bench: 300
    Squat: 345
    Power Clean: 245

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." -Arnold

Soilwork addict.
    Quote Originally Posted by FeelMyLats View Post
    I've gotta agree with the guy who said he was taught NOT to arch the back. I was also taught not to arch the back in high school weightlifting class. Now, by no means is a high school lifting class or a high school weightlifting coach the authority on power-lifting. All I'm saying is, I believe we were taught NOT to arch the back because we were young and our bodies were still developing, thus things like arching of the back during benching and squating past parallel were advised against.

I think the problem is no one ever actually said, "Ok, your body has gone through it's development stage, you can lift like this now."

I don't think he was trolling, really no need to berate the guy for making a comment that wasn't agreed upon by the general population. He never mentioned that he was elite, nor that he trained with elite people. Just stated that he was taught the exact opposite of what that article said.
    Thanks for backing me up. I was merely seeking clarification because I was always informed otherwise. In fact, I know I'm way weaker than alot of the people on here, thats why I'm here. Thats exactly what I said in my first post in this thread.

Also, there is a pic of a guy with his ass off of the bench(atleast it appears that way) in the article.

AFAIK thats not allowed in meets. I read the article closer and realised it said to arch as much as possible with your ass still on the bench. This makes more sense.
    Last edited by 4g64fiero; 11-07-2008 at 08:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

Soilwork addict.
    Quote Originally Posted by dxiw View Post
    Why are you guys even bothering to humor this guy's reply with a response. He's clearly a troll, who hasn't done any reading on the forum nor knows anything about powerlifting. It's not worth your time.
    I came here to learn about lifting. I've done alot of reading on the forum but its been more about squats and deadlifts. Posting an ignorant question is, by nature, the normal order of forums. That isnt what trolling is.
    Quote Originally Posted by dxiw View Post
    4g64fiero you clearly haven't done the research nor have you trained with elite people. Your making huge generalizations about bench technique and powerlifting, and frankly, it's offensive. You probably injured yourself because you had ****ty form and arched back just happened to be part of it. Please go do some reading before you post **** like this. Just a waste of server space.
    If your offended because I proposed a question about something I didnt understand, then you misread what I was asking. But yes, I'm definitely going to read more. As far as my form when I hurt my back in HS, it probably was ****ty. To bad I lived in poverty 300 miles away from a decent gym so excuse me if I'm not a professional. I had no resources but small school football coaches.
    Last edited by 4g64fiero; 11-07-2008 at 08:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

Wannabebig New Member
    nice article

Wannabebig New Member

following workouts

I start lets say I can do 250 with incorrect form then with correct form I can do 275.If then on my following workouts I used correct form and my bench went up say 300. If I quit doing the correct form would I lose that original 25 lb gain?

Wannabebig New Member
    good article

Wannabebig Member
    nice tips. I can't wait to try them out.