The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to build a monstrous bench press by AJ Roberts - April 1st 2007

If you want to know what it takes to increase your bench press AJ Roberts delivers some great training advice. This is coming from a guy who benches 700 pounds!

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=302

Enjoy!

Daniel
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Tried some of the pointers from this article. Defintate difference. Up 10lbs on my bench.

Wannabebig Member
    i tried to set myself up like he tells you to in the article but really had trouble arching my back. The leg positioning made me feel alot more stable tho.
    Height 5,8
    Start weight 147
    Currnet weight 158
    Target weight 180

Yeah the leg bit really seemed to be the money. The arching i didnt get to carried away with, just a little more arch than usual.

canadian, eh?
    Excuse the stupid question, but doesn't arching your back harm it? I find if I arch it it feels ackward after I am done?
    Steve

No it shouldn't harm your back. But its certainly something that takes getting used to.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianbuilder View Post
    Excuse the stupid question, but doesn't arching your back harm it? I find if I arch it it feels ackward after I am done?
    As long as your shoulders and butt are on the bench, you're in the clear.

canadian, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    As long as your shoulders and butt are on the bench, you're in the clear.
    Okay, thanks for the clarification
    Steve

Learning as I progress
    I was wondering does the foot placement feel unnatural? I imagine it would but just wondering.

Also, to whoever it may concern I believe there is a typo after the "Bench Twice a Week" caption. Thinks its the first sentence.

Anyway, nice article
    Complication breeds desperation.

2 questions:

1)Let say you bench 5x5 incline dumbbell and want to follow it with a dynamic 8x3 of 55-60% of 1RM (flat bb), is it a bad idea to perform on same day?

2)Any of yall get hamstring cramps when benching?

Wannabebig Member CurlforEternity's Avatar
    Just bench heavy right? Working out the triceps have alot to do with bench press too
    Last edited by CurlforEternity; 04-10-2007 at 09:08 AM.

Wannabebig New Member
    This article is ridiculous if you want to use proper form while doing your bench

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joshgraham22 View Post
    This article is ridiculous if you want to use proper form while doing your bench
    Please enlighten us to what your definition of "proper bench form" is.

He's a new member. where's Anthony? he knows everything

What was outlined in the article will work whether you bench with an arch or not.

Other than that though guys, he's trolling.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Interesting article... I definitely agree with twice a week workouts. I've never done westside de stuff however, and think that mixing things up differently then that works as well. For example, a friend of mine does a ME bench day and a tricep/assistance day with good success... 513+ @ 165
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

Wannabebig Member
    This question is sort of hard to put into words but
    The article says increase your bench weight with the correct form, but say you did the correct form and then went back to your old form. would you instantly lose what ever you had been doing like this

When I start lets say I can do 250 with incorrect form then with correct form I can do 275.
    If then on my following workouts I used correct form and my bench went up say 300
    If I quit doing the correct form would I lose that original 25 lb gain?

You won't lose any strength you've gained. However, yes, if I tried to max out with my back flat and legs positioned normally then I'd definitely lift less as opposed to an arch and feet behind the knees.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Soilwork addict.
    Man, the whole "arch your back as much as possible" technique is wierd to me. It goes against everything I've ever been trained to do as far as bench pressing goes. I think lifting it as fast as you can would yield better results as far as gaining muscle. but I guess its not entirely about that, its mostly about seeing how much weight you can bench press even if it requires an unorthodox form not typically allowed in competition. For that I ask, whats the point? Is it just for bragging rights? This reminds me of when I first started to lift in middle school. I hurt my neck and lower back from arching my back like that. Back then it was called bad form. I guess its acceptable now. I'd rather bench to build muscle specifically. Not too worried about numbers. But I guess thats the diferance between a hobbyist and a powerlifter. My bench is only 305, which probably isnt crap compared to most on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBeach View Post
    I think I am just going to start posting dick pictures on here until this thread gets deleted.
    18% BF down from 25%+ since April. Halfway to abs.

Current 1200+ gym total. 214 lbs 5'10.5" 36.5" waist.

Working on correcting some imbalances at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g64fiero View Post
    Man, the whole "arch your back as much as possible" technique is wierd to me. It goes against everything I've ever been trained to do as far as bench pressing goes. I think lifting it as fast as you can would yield better results as far as gaining muscle. but I guess its not entirely about that, its mostly about seeing how much weight you can bench press even if it requires an unorthodox form not typically allowed in competition. For that I ask, whats the point? Is it just for bragging rights? This reminds me of when I first started to lift in middle school. I hurt my neck and lower back from arching my back like that. Back then it was called bad form. I guess its acceptable now. I'd rather bench to build muscle specifically. Not too worried about numbers. But I guess thats the diferance between a hobbyist and a powerlifter. My bench is only 305, which probably isnt crap compared to most on this board.

I could be wrong, but arching the back is almost always allowed in powerlifting competitions, from what I understand.

This reminds me of when I first started to lift in middle school. I hurt my neck and lower back from arching my back like that. Back then it was called bad form. I guess its acceptable now. I'd rather bench to build muscle specifically. Not too worried about numbers. But I guess thats the diferance between a hobbyist and a powerlifter. My bench is only 305, which probably isnt crap compared to most on this board.
    You obviously know nothing about powerlifting. Arching is allowed and utilized by nearly every competitor.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

benching with an arch is not only allowed, its a good idea to make yourself more stable on the bench. Pulling your shoulders in tight, tucking your elbows and setting yourself up on your upper back is definatly the best way to bench. I trained a guy who's bench was 365 benching flat backed, elbows out, pretty normal gym rat form. After a month with me he benched a very solid 405. Benching right actually allows you to utilize more of your strength.

Sloppy form is when guys have shaky arms, butts comming off the bench, feet moving all over the place or just not even touching. Amazing things I see almost every day in the gym

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I think your High.

Man, the whole "arch your back as much as possible" technique is wierd to me. It goes against everything I've ever been trained to do as far as bench pressing goes
    I'm curious where you learned then. Obviously not a good source.
    Don't pick on the weak, its immoral... Never antagonise the strong, its stupid

5'11 190lbs

Why are you guys even bothering to humor this guy's reply with a response. He's clearly a troll, who hasn't done any reading on the forum nor knows anything about powerlifting. It's not worth your time.

4g64fiero you clearly haven't done the research nor have you trained with elite people. Your making huge generalizations about bench technique and powerlifting, and frankly, it's offensive. You probably injured yourself because you had ****ty form and arched back just happened to be part of it. Please go do some reading before you post **** like this. Just a waste of server space.

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

Wannabebig Member
    gotta try some of these