The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Soon to be lean... Joe Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, England
    Posts
    10,963

    Advanced Cutting Strategies by Jimmy Smith - April 1st 2007

    Do you want to learn how to take your body to the next level? Jimmy Smith talks about how to incorporate nutritional strategies that will be sure to change your body!

    http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=301

    Enjoy!

    Daniel
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

    Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    4,548
    I'm definately not in the "advanced cutting" class of people, but I found this article very enlightening. It got me to read Berardi's G-Flux article, which is excellent! I can't believe how simple of a concept it is - eat more and exercise more. Combine it with the carb cycling that Jimmy outlines in his article you'll be one kick ass athlete.
    I've never been more motivated to do cardio than I am right now....maybe this motivation will last longer than a few days

  4. #3
    Senior Member Vapour Trails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    812
    G-flux is widely ridiculed, as is Berardi.

    The article is recycled ideas with a worse and vague implementation plan combined with some pure speculation.

    Low carb? How low? High carb day? How much?
    Cheat meals, how much, how often? Macro breakdown?
    Those are pretty half-assed depletion workouts. A real full body depletion is 90 minutes long and consists of about 700 total reps.
    The only thing I think is good about the article is the idea that diets need refeed periods with intense training - something that has been around for years already.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    4,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapour Trails View Post
    G-flux is widely ridiculed, as is Berardi.
    I don't know much about G-Flux's reputation, but I do know that Berardi is very highly respected. Where are you getting this idea from?

  6. #5
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    I'm definately not in the "advanced cutting" class of people, but I found this article very enlightening. It got me to read Berardi's G-Flux article, which is excellent! I can't believe how simple of a concept it is - eat more and exercise more. Combine it with the carb cycling that Jimmy outlines in his article you'll be one kick ass athlete.
    I've never been more motivated to do cardio than I am right now....maybe this motivation will last longer than a few days
    Thanks for the feedback. If you notice in the article I do not suggest an entire G-Flux like dieting. Rather, I imply that we need to use the principles of G-Flux to prevent the issues that arise from dieting.

  7. #6
    n00b status
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    COLLI PARK, maryland
    Posts
    46
    will this diet be effective for fat loss if im not exactly lean to begin with?

  8. #7
    Senior Member PoutineEh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    478
    personally, i find these cyclical diets that include depletion workouts etc. are harder than just regular dieting. it would probably be easier on you and just as effective as to do a regular diet and then when you start to get into just having stubborn fat to lose, to then give these harder diets a try (this diet and UD 2.0 come to mind).

  9. #8
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeabigboy View Post
    will this diet be effective for fat loss if im not exactly lean to begin with?
    It will be effective but not anymore effective then a low carb diet for some who has 15+ pounds to lose. This diet is for those who want to go from lean to ripped.

  10. #9
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by PoutineEh View Post
    personally, i find these cyclical diets that include depletion workouts etc. are harder than just regular dieting. it would probably be easier on you and just as effective as to do a regular diet and then when you start to get into just having stubborn fat to lose, to then give these harder diets a try (this diet and UD 2.0 come to mind).
    Exactly, I want people to realize that this article was written with the guy or girl in mind who looks better then 90% of people already but wants to get even leaner.

  11. #10
    Senior Member teenathlete3030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    189
    Get lean and gain muscle, I like it. I found it a little confusing though.

    Can this diet be accomplished with only 2 heavy lifting days, dedicated for strength/power and not hypertrophy, along with two days that focus on speed/agility work but not lifting?

    Is it basicly saying to eat more the days you lift and less the days you don't? Along with eating carbs the day before a heavy workout? I'm confused.
    6'0" 180
    Vertical 29" Running= 37" 40= 4.70
    Big 3: Squat= 320
    ........Bench= 275
    ........Deadlift= 350ish?
    OL: .....Clean= 270 150%
    ...........Snatch= 200 111%

  12. #11
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by teenathlete3030 View Post
    Get lean and gain muscle, I like it. I found it a little confusing though.

    Can this diet be accomplished with only 2 heavy lifting days, dedicated for strength/power and not hypertrophy, along with two days that focus on speed/agility work but not lifting?

    Is it basicly saying to eat more the days you lift and less the days you don't? Along with eating carbs the day before a heavy workout? I'm confused.
    If you are an athlete, I'd advise against this diet. It is purely for those looking to improve their physique. As an athlete you should aim to decrease your bodyfat but not to the levels or through the means that physique minded individuals do.

  13. #12
    Senior Member teenathlete3030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    189
    OK, in that case, I think I'll bulk.
    6'0" 180
    Vertical 29" Running= 37" 40= 4.70
    Big 3: Squat= 320
    ........Bench= 275
    ........Deadlift= 350ish?
    OL: .....Clean= 270 150%
    ...........Snatch= 200 111%

  14. #13
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by teenathlete3030 View Post
    OK, in that case, I think I'll bulk.
    Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

  15. #14
    Learning as I progress
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
    It will be effective but not anymore effective then a low carb diet for some who has 15+ pounds to lose. This diet is for those who want to go from lean to ripped.
    Just wondering why you chose to phrase it like that? Are you an advocate of low carb diets?
    Complication breeds desperation.

  16. #15
    As I Am Paul Stagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    Posts
    8,669
    I would think even Mr Smith would agree with me - If you don't have the basics down, no specific 'get ripped' diet is going to be particularly effective.

    Are you 220 pounds at 10% bodyfat? Or are you 160 pounds at 17% bodyfat?

    The first guy might be able to take this article and get jacked for summer, or get closer to getting on a bodybuilding stage. The second guy needs to stick to the basics of sound nutrition - apply the basics, slowly and surely get bigger and leaner over time.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

  17. #16
    Learning as I progress
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,669
    Not sure if you comment was at all directed at me Paul, but I agree with you. I was simple curious why he said low carb, and not low calorie.
    Complication breeds desperation.

  18. #17
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Con View Post
    Just wondering why you chose to phrase it like that? Are you an advocate of low carb diets?
    It was phrased this way in response to some one asking if they should use it even though they aren't at lean levels yet. I wouldn't advocate anyone using who isn't already below 8-10% for a male and 12-15% for a female. Reason being is because they can achieve rapid fat loss and body recompostion gains through just correct diet and increased energy expenditure alone. If they used this diet to get from 20% to 10% then what would they use to get from 10% to 7%, ya know?

  19. #18
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    I would think even Mr Smith would agree with me - If you don't have the basics down, no specific 'get ripped' diet is going to be particularly effective.

    Are you 220 pounds at 10% bodyfat? Or are you 160 pounds at 17% bodyfat?

    The first guy might be able to take this article and get jacked for summer, or get closer to getting on a bodybuilding stage. The second guy needs to stick to the basics of sound nutrition - apply the basics, slowly and surely get bigger and leaner over time.

    Perfectly said

  20. #19
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Con View Post
    Not sure if you comment was at all directed at me Paul, but I agree with you. I was simple curious why he said low carb, and not low calorie.
    I'm not a low calories fan, even with dieting. Now granted, you are going to have to decrease calories to lose fat but I'm going to keep calories relatively stable until I see stalled fat loss.

Similar Threads

  1. A Soldiers PT Journal
    By NeroTheWarlord in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 04:56 AM
  2. How to build a monstrous bench press by AJ Roberts - April 1st 2007
    By Joe Black in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-08-2009, 01:06 AM
  3. Please Stop Quoting Routines...Thanks
    By -TIM- in forum General Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-12-2003, 02:47 AM
  4. Whoah...almost died today...(a squat query)
    By puny_ectomorph in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-26-2002, 03:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •