Thread: Water: Does it drain your system?

Addicted to Adrenaline LevesqueIsKing's Avatar

Water: Does it drain your system?

My friend told me that a while back, and I was wondering if it actually had some truth, or if it was complete bs. We were talking about the best ways to gain weight and I said that he should just gain a bunch of water weight(as a joke), and he replied by telling me that water helps your system drain quicker and therefor makes you lose more (non-water) weight. I never drank all that much water, just when I was in the gym. Outside of the gym I ussually drink milk or gatorade.

Any truth at all?

Banned
    lolol..
    Water rehydrates your body. No you don't loose weight drinking water unless that's all your drinking and consuming because your body does think it's food so it speeds up your metabolism slightly and since water has no calories you would be burning more than you consume. But anyone who says water will drain your system is just wow.. Find a new friend eh lol?

Biology of it.. When you drink water and it's absorbed it moves nutrients and toxins in and out of cells more efficiently.. and most of a cell is water to begin with... To much water though will engorge the cell and can make it explode.. this is what happens in water intoxication..

Quote Originally Posted by LevesqueIsKing View Post
    My friend told me that a while back, and I was wondering if it actually had some truth, or if it was complete bs. We were talking about the best ways to gain weight and I said that he should just gain a bunch of water weight(as a joke), and he replied by telling me that water helps your system drain quicker and therefor makes you lose more (non-water) weight. I never drank all that much water, just when I was in the gym. Outside of the gym I ussually drink milk or gatorade.

Any truth at all?

Water is the medium through which most chemical reactions take place in your body. Water IS a good way to cut calories. If you drink a 16oz coke twice a day you are adding around 400 calories a day. On a 2000 calorie diet, those calories alone would be the recommended cutting amount of about 20%.

drinking more water will not drain your body. If you drink a lot of water you may being peeing a lot more, but that is not equivalent to losing excess water. Your body is about 62% water....so drink up.
    h: 5'10" w: 169
    340/235/420

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    The body is more like 70% water. And some of the organs, like the liver, are 90% water. Drink up!
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

I've always been under the impression that your body will hold water when you aren't rehydrating it with enough drinking water, and that when you finally start drinking enough, it will start to cycle that water more frequently, and efficiently (mainly due to the flushing of sodium). Thus, releasing water that had remained stagnant.

But if you keep your water intake up, it will equalize.

Not sure if it's valid or not, but I thought I might throw that out there.
    theJamAbides
    5'11" - 200 lbs.
    Jam's Journal

BP - 190x5
    DL - 250x5
    SQ - 230x5
    C**k Pushups - 1x1 (Cuz that's all you need baby!)

Your body does keep a balance, so yes. Your kidneys are wonderful things.

Quote Originally Posted by theJamAbides View Post
    I've always been under the impression that your body will hold water when you aren't rehydrating it with enough drinking water, and that when you finally start drinking enough, it will start to cycle that water more frequently, and efficiently (mainly due to the flushing of sodium). Thus, releasing water that had remained stagnant.
    Your body is always holding water, otherwise you'd die. You're body is always cycling water (your kidneys are constantly filtering blood at about 125mL/min.). When you are not drinking enough your body will hold onto all the water it can, however it is still constantly running through your kidneys. When you are drinking a lot of water your body will excrete what it doesn't need.
    h: 5'10" w: 169
    340/235/420

Ever hear of a water diet? Drink 8-10 liters of water for a day or two and tell me you don't lose weight. Oh, keep eating regularly too
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

You could call that the peeing diet too.

Addicted to Adrenaline LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    Ever hear of a water diet? Drink 8-10 liters of water for a day or two and tell me you don't lose weight. Oh, keep eating regularly too
    So you are agreeing with my friends statement despite everyone else that does not?