my dad recently passed on his mazda 6 to me, and while it does have a mediocre bose sound system, i would like to make some changes to it.
id like to have the following:
1) be able to have my ipod hook up into the sound system
2) id like some bass, but im not the kind of person who needs his car rattling from so much bass that people a mile away can hear it. just enough to feel it, nothing overboard.
3) i like my music pretty loud, but I also want it clear. to get an idea of what "type" of music i would listen to, its along the lines of red hot chilli peppers, although i dont like them just trying to give a genre of sorts
4) the interior isnt the prettiest thing ever, but I like it as is. does anyone know if i needed to get a new head unit, if there is some way to keep the interior as is, or close enough to? I dont want the whole "middle" (the part that holds all the audio controls + heat controls etc.) ripped out and then just have a rectangular head unit placed in there.
5) i also dont need anything fancy. no dvd navigation/flashy screens etc. i want just enough to accomplish the above and i would be happy
ive never owned a car before, so i have never really looked into this. anyone have suggestions for me, or even possibly a good forum i could join to learn more?
also, what should i do about installation. would taking it to best buy etc. be a bad idea. they overpriced? what should i do to shop around for someone to install? Can I order all the parts myself to get a good deal, and then just give it to a company to have them install it for me?
how can i make sure i can trust the installer? should i be able to ask for photos of would the end product would look like? what are legit questions to find out if he is legit?
id like to spend about $500 max, but i can sway a little. any help?