Thread: New Guy, Would Appreciate it if you Guys Can Bring Input

Wannabebig Member

New Guy, Would Appreciate it if you Guys Can Bring Input

Hi, im 20 y.o. and about 150. I am planning on doing the workout plan that wannabebig articles suggested, which is:

Day 1: Chest and Back
    Dumbbell Incline Press 2x9-11
    Close Grip Chins 2x9-11
    Flat Dumbbell Flies 2x9-11
    Wide Grip Pull Downs or Deadlifts 2x9-11
    Decline Barbell Bench Press 2x9-11
    Seated Cable Row or T-Bar Rows 2x9-11
    Rest Day
    Day 2: Legs
    Squats 1x20
    Leg Press 1x20
    Leg Extensions 1x15
    Hamstring Curl 2x9
    Seated/Standing Calf Raises 2x25
    (Do one of set of each)
    Rest Day
    Day 3: Biceps, Triceps, and Shoulders
    Seated Dumbbell Press, Standing Dumbbell Lateral Raises, Front Dumbbell Raises
    2-3x6 (supersetted)
    Incline or Decline Skull Crushers 2x9-11
    Incline Dumbbell Curls 2x9-11
    Dips 2x9-11
    Hammer Curls 2x9-11
    Abdominals to be performed on any training day.
    Weighted Crunches 3X12
    Rope Crunches 3x12
    Weighted Leg Raises 3x12
    Stability Ball Crunches 3x12

but i want to focus on cutting and not actually bulking because i would really like to see a more defined abdominal before i bulk. I can slightly see a two pack on my upper abdomen in the right light but i definitely have a belly i must get rid of. Couple of Questions:

1. Should I be doing about 1-3 miles of jogging/running before each day ? I have heard of HiiT, should I do that instead of jogging?
    2. How much calories/protein should i be eating and i have to be eating strictly clean stuff?
    3. What should i eat before running/working out to obtain maximum fat burning.

To the original poster, at 150 lbs a cut would probly make you look skinny. I know you want abs, but they more than likely would be the 'skinny abs.' Like people said it's all about preference, that's just my 2 cents.

I would not jog everyday before a workout and as far as diet goes, I would check out the diet and nutrition section and read the stickies. Also, you should start tracking your foods on www.fitday.com (free membership.)
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 04-01-2007 at 03:56 PM.

Hey and welcome. You want to lose weight, so first get on your diet. For arobic work checkout http://www.crossfit.com/ instead of traditional cardio. Your diet doesn't have to be perfectly clean to lose weight. Just be mindful of what you put in your system. There is no magical food that is going to dramatically maximize fat-burning potential while working out. Consistancy is key. The calories you require is relative to your body. You're going to have to track the calories you eat and play with the amounts until you find out what makes your weight drop. 2000-2500 is a good place to begin. Read up on some of the other posts in here on macros (protein/fat/carbs). It'll help you out.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Wannabebig Member
    I'm 5'9

can you please tell me why its not good to do aerobic exercise everyday? Should i only jog before a workout?

the reason i want to cut is because im pretty lean all over EXCEPT my a little on my best and freaking belly. it kind of bulges out a little and it bothers me (self conscious).

btw. i read some that its good to eat a small amount of protien before the actual workout because something about your body burning muscle and not fat? can you clarify for me?

I do aerobic exercise almost everyday and I feel great. If you are trying to gain weight, it means you have to eat a little extra to make up for the spent calories. Just don't overdo it. There is such thing as too much of a good thing. Cliche, I know.

Jog whenever you feel like it. Some people here get WAY too much into the fine-details of dieting and exercising. The truth is, the basics work. Always have; always will. The reason people suggest protein before a workout is to prevent your body from catabolising the muscle. How big of a difference does this really make? I don't know. Is it dramatic and the most important thing to your cut? No. Some people like to carb-load before a workout so they have energy. The only thing I can really say makes a huge difference is to have eaten 1-2 hours before you workout, so you have the juice to complete a strong workout.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the help, Kiaran.

Few more questions.

When exactly does the process of fat burning occur? While you actually strain your muscle while running or pulling and pushing from weights?

Should I be running right before a workout to get my blood pumping and my muscles working first? or can the cardio be done any other time?

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    When exactly does the process of fat burning occur?
    All day in accordance with your diet and training. Trying to burn fat in the gym is a bit pointless.

Should I be running right before a workout to get my blood pumping and my muscles working first? or can the cardio be done any other time?
    http://wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=292
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Life is short..SO LIVE IT! Validus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haitu View Post
    Hi, im 20 y.o. and about 150. I am planning on doing the workout plan that wannabebig articles suggested, which is:

Day 1: Chest and Back
    Dumbbell Incline Press 2x9-11
    Close Grip Chins 2x9-11
    Flat Dumbbell Flies 2x9-11
    Wide Grip Pull Downs or Deadlifts 2x9-11 -There is no "or" I'd deadlift
    Decline Barbell Bench Press 2x9-11
    Seated Cable Row or T-Bar Rows 2x9-11 T-Bars are awesome!!
    Rest Day
    Day 2: Legs
    Squats 1x20 -Less reps and more sets squats are a mammoth exercise
    Leg Press 1x20 -less reps more heavy sets
    Leg Extensions 1x15
    Hamstring Curl 2x9
    Seated/Standing Calf Raises 2x25
    (Do one of set of each)
    Rest Day
    Day 3: Biceps, Triceps, and Shoulders
    Seated Dumbbell Press, Standing Dumbbell Lateral Raises, Front Dumbbell Raises
    2-3x6 (supersetted)
    Incline or Decline Skull Crushers 2x9-11
    Incline Dumbbell Curls 2x9-11
    Dips 2x9-11
    Hammer Curls 2x9-11
    Abdominals to be performed on any training day.
    Weighted Crunches 3X12
    Rope Crunches 3x12 Don't need all this abb work, abbs are liek any other muscle you only need one or two exercises and don't do it on any given day have a schedule and stick to it
    Weighted Leg Raises 3x12
    Stability Ball Crunches 3x12

but i want to focus on cutting and not actually bulking because i would really like to see a more defined abdominal before i bulk. I can slightly see a two pack on my upper abdomen in the right light but i definitely have a belly i must get rid of. Couple of Questions:

1. Should I be doing about 1-3 miles of jogging/running before each day ? I have heard of HiiT, should I do that instead of jogging?
    2. How much calories/protein should i be eating and i have to be eating strictly clean stuff?
    3. What should i eat before running/working out to obtain maximum fat burning.
    you should be eating 1-1.5 grams of protein for each pound of lean body mass. I just play it safe and eat my body weight in protein. If i'm correct you should be eating .5 grams of fat for each lb of lean body mass. carbs are for energy spread them out.

Wannabebig Member
    sCaRz*Of*Pain

thanks for that hiit link. ill defnetly substitute it for my cardio.

Question about strength increase.

I'm sorry but i tried searching strength and such but the results were endless.

The amount of weights i can lift, how much should it increase every week if i'm doing everything right ? 5 or 6 pounds every week?
    Last edited by haitu; 04-05-2007 at 01:36 AM.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You should try adding 2.5 pounds or so a week. But listen to your body. Never sacrifice form for heavier weight. If you start to lose form or control, you're using too much weight.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 04-05-2007 at 02:36 AM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."