The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Milk is your friend Vicioustorms's Avatar

15 year old, started weightlifting, need some advice

Hey, I'm 15 years old and will be 16 in October.

Now, the reason I've started weightlifting is because my dad encourages me to. I'm naturally a person of a fast metobalism so I'm skinny but do have muscle. My muscles on both arms are generally quite big when I tense them but my arms aren't as big as I'd like them to be...theyre skinny. Also my legs are quite skinny too. I've been weightlifting for about 1 week now. I have 40k dumbells but at the moment I only do 10kg on each weight. My dad showed me how to excercise my Arms, Shoulders and Chest with weights. I do 5 sets of each one. For example: I do arms once, until im tired, have a rest, then do a 2nd set, until im tired, then have a break, and i continue so forth for just the arms. Then i do the same for shoulders which I excercise in 2 ways, and my chest. I do my legs on the 2nd day. so one day i do arms, chest and shoulders then the next i do legs.

I am really determined to do this and have quitted mostly all my internet time for this reason, as I want to be healthy and happy with my body.

I've started eating healthy stuff such as fish, pasta, but for some reason I cannot consume alot of meat. I look for foods with good ammount of protein, with good ammount of calories but are low in fat...they're not that easy to find though. I figured out that I need 35g of protein a day through by how much i weigh. I weigh roughly 42kg which is about 91 pounds. I've started eating alot of fruit too like oranges, manneolas, strawberry yoghurts and bananas with my cereal. (all bran flakes) I checked out a site which says a Male needs 2500 calories a day....which I find hard to believe because I don't get anywhere near as much as that a day. So is it just for older people? Anyway, to get to the point: My dad said he'd get me USN Protein Shake which he drinks alot and I've had some of it before. I would find it much easier to consume protein this way. I know that I HAVE to excercise if I take the shake to develop my muscles, and that's exactly what i'll do. I drink loads of milk and have started to drink loads of water as well, because obviously it gives me the energy i need for weight lifting. Basically, I just want opinions from people to tell me if i'm on the right track, with what I'm doing. My dad has told me it will take pretty long, and I know that...I'm prepared to do this for months.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Vicioustorms; 02-27-2007 at 04:33 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Nice work on deciding to join the site and get dedicated. First of all I would suggest having a look at thew WBB1 routine for your lifting. If is a good beginner split. You need to do a full body workout, not just your arms, shoulders and chest. And you should have set number of sets/reps...not just going to failure a couple times for each muscle.

As far as the dieting part, what are your goals? You seem pretty light for 15 years old, how tall are you? You should consume roughly 1g of protein for each lb you weigh per day. With calories, you should track your macros (proteins, fats, carbs, cals) on www.fitday.com. I would say start off at about 2500 cals a day, 100g protein, 65-80 g fat? and maybe about 120 carbs. Try to find an amount of each where you are gaining about 1-2 lbs per week, as long as its not from 'bad foods'. Check the diet and nurtrition section for lists of foods that you should be eating. I'm not positive with the breakdown of your macros, just trying to throw some starting numbers out there....adjust until you see results. You can get some good tasting protein from atlargenutrition.com as well. Chocolate Nitrean + peanut butter + milk = delicious.

good luck with your goals.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicioustorms View Post
    Hey, I'm 15 years old and will be 16 in October.

Now, the reason I've started weightlifting is because my dad encourages me to. I'm naturally a person of a fast metobalism so I'm skinny but do have muscle. My muscles on both arms are generally quite big when I tense them but my arms aren't as big as I'd like them to be...theyre skinny. Also my legs are quite skinny too. I've been weightlifting for about 1 week now. I have 40k dumbells but at the moment I only do 10kg on each weight. My dad showed me how to excercise my Arms, Shoulders and Chest with weights. I do 5 sets of each one. For example: I do arms once, until im tired, have a rest, then do a 2nd set, until im tired, then have a break, and i continue so forth for just the arms. Then i do the same for shoulders which I excercise in 2 ways, and my chest. I do my legs on the 2nd day. so one day i do arms, chest and shoulders then the next i do legs...

Work your bigger muscles first. You can not get a good workout for your chest and back if your arms are tired. And yes look at WWB1 for a good beginner routine.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 02-27-2007 at 06:09 PM.

I started weightlifting my freshman year for wrestling. I was 5'9 125 lbs. four years later I'm 5'10 180 lbs. I'm going to give you some advice that I wish someone would have told me when I started lifting:

1. Get a plan. In the beginning, follow the KISS method: Keep it simple stupid. Follow WBB1 or something simpler. Get some sort of notebook and write it all down. If you don't, you'll loose track of your numbers/reps, get unmotivated, etc.

2. Do HEAVY COMPOUND movements. This is especially important in the beginning when you're smaller. movements such as squats, deadlifts, rows, bench press, pull-ups, etc. When you lift heavy, compound movements, your body freaks out - it produces a crapload of growth hormones/testosterone, which will make your ENTIRE BODY bigger. If you want to add an inch to your biceps, you're going to have to add an inch to your chest, your legs, your back, etc (at least, its a lot easier doing it this way). Simply put, your body doesn't *want* to have 20 inch guns and sticks for legs - its not very practical (It can be done but its very very very hard).
    This is the KEY to bodybuilding/weightlifting, especially as a beginner. Yes, its possible to get larger/legs whatever arms by *only* doing curls or leg extensions, but the average man isn't going to get much progress. Keep *isolation* exercises to a minimum.

3. Stay away from machines (at least in the beginning). Machines have their place in weightlifting, but now you should be learning proper form and hitting movements that stress the entire body. Machines have a tendency to *isolate* whatever muscle your training by taking the smaller, stabilizer muscles out of the picture. Get someone to teach you the form, and stick to free weights.

3. Eat! You're not going to grow if you don't get enough calories - this means proteins AND fats (healthy fats : ). You can get technical and take cerino's path if you want to - but I was pretty lazy and that took too much work. If you're like most 15 year olds, you have a razor fast metabolism, and you probably won't get fat no matter what you eat. Currently You're eating enough food to sustain whatever weight you're at, i.e. If you're 130 lbs, you're eating enough food to sustain a 130 pounder. This means that if you want to GROW (this means getting bigger - legs, chest, arms, etc.) you're going to have to eat like a 135 pounder, or a 140 pounder, etc.

this was hard for me; I had to learn to stuff my face, 6 times a day (even right before bed). Try and make good food choices, stay away from anything heavily processed (too much fast food) or too many desserts (oreos don't build muscle > : )- but besides that, especially if you're starting out, anything goes. If you *do* get fat (I highly doubt it) then consider a cleaner bulk.

4. Get lots of sleep! Your body grows in your sleep - this is also when it releases all of those growth hormones you get from exercises like the SQUAT. Try and get at least 8 a night.

5. Don't overtrain! this is HUGE mistake for beginers. Don't train more then 3-4 times a week max, you have to give your body plenty of time to heal. Also, keep volume (the number of sets/excercises you do per body part/workout) low. Still train with intensity, work really hard on whatever set you're doing, but training with intensity DOES NOT mean doing 50 sets of curls, or hundreds of reps. I only do around 4-6 exercises every time I go to the gym, but I'm usually EXHAUSTED by the time I leave, because I train with intensity. This is what works for me, but I believe a similar principal will work for anyone - you don't need 10-15 different movements every workout to see gains.

Thats all I can think of for now. I kept the principles general because according to Brooks D. Kubik, weightlifting is "more art then science" - what works for one man isn't nescessarily going to work for another, so take whatever you read with a grain of salt. :-p
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I was just wondering whether salted peanuts are good? I see they have 622 calories and 28g of protein in 100g of peanuts...but they have 53g of fat.

Ex-Twig. Future Freak. Rock Steady's Avatar
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I was just wondering whether salted peanuts are good? I see they have 622 calories and 28g of protein in 100g of peanuts...but they have 53g of fat.
    Yes, they're a good fat. That said, don't just eat peanuts.
    My Journal & Before/After Bulk Pictures
    6'1, 217 lbs
    Lifts (lbs): D:465 / SQ (to ||):335 / DB Bench: 110s x 4 / TK:8

From reading your post I believe you are really serious about this, from my personal experience.. some of this repeats (though not intentionally) what other people may have said

WBB1 is a great starting point, It helped me put on a good amount of size and hit the whole body.

Don't worry to much about what weight your lifting, start of low and get absolute perfect form and gradually increase it. Lots of small amounts soon add up and you keep perfect form throughout, You will notice its always harder to do curls with your back str8 but by keeping it str8 you are focusing on your biceps and not swinging force into it. The important thing for gaining muscle is not what number you are lifting but that its a little more than the previous week.

Your not gonna get big eating like a bird, eat eat eat. If you wanna pack on size think more food.
    Stats

Researching starting in feb 2007 ready and knowledgeable

Yeah, I know how to keep track of my excercise it's just the food that's a bit more difficuilt. Like Cirino said, I should aim for 100g of protein a day and 2500 calories. I am thinking of a menu of which I can follow everyday to make sure I get that or at least pretty close. I am thinking something like:

Breakfast (All Bran Flakes with bananas)
    Protein Shake
    School Break (Special K calories bar)
    School Lunch (chicken sandwiches and a banana)
    Protein Shake
    When I get home (peanuts) and some fruit
    Dinner (Lamb or some other sort of meat with vegetables)
    Protein Shake

Obviously I wont have the same thing for dinner everyday because it's just an example.
    Last edited by Vicioustorms; 03-01-2007 at 02:20 PM.

Good... now double it and your set.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Perfect View Post
    To be honest, I think kids should wait until they are at least 20 years of age to start lifting weights. Your still young and your body is STILL growing. It will stun your growth if you continue working out. I know because i've seen it happen to my kids, and they just won't grow any more.

Hope I discourage you, but I do think kids should wait a bit longer than 15.
    Coincidence?

Isnt this just a myth?I for one regret not starting to lift til my early 20's.

Iron4Life
    To be honest, I think kids should wait until they are at least 20 years of age to start lifting weights. Your still young and your body is STILL growing. It will stun your growth if you continue working out. I know because i've seen it happen to my kids, and they just won't grow any more.

MR Perfect... is MR I don't know Crap!!
    Show your proof... b/c there is plenty of research out there that says differently...

There is NO WAY to stunt your growth lifting weights...

At 15, just make sure you lift with good form... and do the rest of Hazerboy has said above... it's excellent advice.

But, don't just be a gym rat... get outside and do sports too.. you want athletism to go with your new strength and mass you gain.

Don't be afraid of Bodyweight exercises either... pushups, pullups, situps, handstands, etc... all good..

GL.. and have fun...

Scorpion32

Comming from someone who deals with Hundreds of high school weightlifters a year, don't listen to this guy! You young guys/girls learn to lift with proper form and work your butt off, it will give you a big advantage on the courts and fields. Not to mention it keeps you around people that care about their body, and what they put into it. It can also be the difference between getting a scholarship for your athletic ability.

Once again thanks for all your opinions...

And i do situps on the same day i do arms, chest and shoulders
    Last edited by Vicioustorms; 03-02-2007 at 11:25 AM.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Exchange sit ups with weighted crunches.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Gamer/Lifter

BS....

One of the biggest guys I know has been lifting since he was 13.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

To be honest, I think you should stop giving advice.

Weight lifting does not stunt growth. Were that true, your kids would be in wheelchairs and unable to move. Either you are trolling on these forums or you don't know what you are talking about.

Banned
    I may not know a lot about weight lifting but I've been lifting since I was 13-14 till now and I'm 6'4 so I must be a genetic freak of nature...

Bull **** mate.

Ive grown nearly a foot since I started lifting when I was 13

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Bull **** mate.

Ive grown nearly a foot since I started lifting when I was 13.

Offering the perfect advice? I hope you are banned soon for that very sentence.

Oh, and kid, stick with MACHINES, not free weights.
    Now you can leave because you have no idea WHAT THE CRAP you are talking about.

Your advice is some of the worst I've ever read. Congrats, Mr. Misinformed.

If you start with machines and use them for about a year or two, your body will be able to move to the next step. Trust me, I know what i'm talking about.
    No, you don't. Go educate yourself. Please. Learn something new besides the garbage that's floating around inside your head. It's not helping anyone.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 03-03-2007 at 11:32 AM.

Lol.

Even if he did have some knowledge, it still wouldn't discourage me.

By the way, just so everyone knows my aims: Nothing like some extreme bodybuilding figure or too big...just something that looks good, reasonably big.

My training has gone well so far, I'm getting hungrier as I excercise, and am able to eat more.
    Last edited by Vicioustorms; 03-03-2007 at 01:05 PM.

Lol.

Even if he did have some knowledge, it still wouldn't discourage me.

By the way, just so everyone knows my aims: Nothing like some extreme bodybuilding figure or too big...just something that looks good, reasonably big.

My training has gone well so far, I'm getting hungrier as I excercise, and am able to eat more.
    ya don't listen to a word that dumbazz says. it will not stunt your growth... all you need to do is keep throwing the iron and EAT EAT EAT. You'll bulk up in no time.
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

Wannabebig Member
    i am also 15 i turn 16 in october, except i weigh 215 pounds and am a freshmen linemen for my highschool team. you nedd to consume 4000 calories a day if your lifting weights and running. you need to consume as much protein as you weigh. you need to gain weight. The next advice i have is to get a routine. Do hevy compound lifts, bench,power clean, squat, deadlift, hang clean, hang snatch, military press, incline press, jump shrugs with calf raises, stuff like that. the most important advice i have to give to you is to stay dedicated and dont get discouraged because the strength and muscle will come. your diet lokks pretty good.

you nedd to consume 4000 calories a day if your lifting weights and running.
    No generalized caloric intake works for everyone. You have to find your intake level through trial and error. www.fitday.com is your friend.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    What's with the aggro? All i'm doing is offering the perfect advice. I wasn't try to discourage or offend the kid, I was looking out for him. Why did you lot have to give Mr. Perfect nasty remarks? I was just helping him for crying out loud.

(1) Anyways, I am afraid i'm gonna have to contradict you guys and say that lifting weights early DOES stun your growth. I didn't start lifting weights until recently and now i'm a (2) SUPER MESOMORPH. Let the kid decide for himself.

(3) Oh, and kid, stick with MACHINES, not free weights. Since you are a beginner you can't be expect to do heavy compound movements. You're too young and you don't have the muscle mass or weight to take it yet. If you start with machines and use them for about a year or two, your body will be able to move to the next step. Trust me, (4) I know what i'm talking about.
    (numbers are mine)

1. S-T-U-N-T, not stun. You've done that twice now. Someone whose name is Mr. Perfect should know that.

2. Any pictures to back up this statement?

3. No. Machines lock you into a pattern which could be harmful to your body. And switching to free weights requires re-learning the exercises all over again. Much better to start right off the bat with free weights

4. You have not shown this yet...never too early to start though.