The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    8-19% for guys.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Yes, I have decided to cut!!!!

HOORAY!!!

... but when I get down to a decent BF or waist size, I don't just want to gain all the weight back again on the next bulk... that just becomes frustrating... how can I avoid that?

BEEFCAKE!!

EC

Bulk slower.

How? I can only lift weights and eat a lot of food, almost impossible for me to guess the exact calorie amount that will give me gains and no fat..

Cross trainer & DL addict mikesbytes's Avatar
    Eat less food and train hard. Keep an eye on your progress and adjust accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    How? I can only lift weights and eat a lot of food, almost impossible for me to guess the exact calorie amount that will give me gains and no fat..
    Huh? You can't gain only muscle and zero fat. You can, however, gain muscle and minimal fat if you bulk slower. How? By tracking your calories. If you just eat everything in site as much as possible without any idea as to how much you're eating, you're going to get fat. You need some structure in your diet. If you don't like what you've experienced so far, make it a point to take 5-10 minutes out of your day to track everything you eat and adjust accordingly. Read the diet links in my sig if you haven't seen the links already. Be a little more strict with your diet.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 04-04-2007 at 09:24 PM.

It is a good idea to track calories, there are several obstacles that I see however to your suggestion:

1. Could be very difficult to measure exact calories of everything you eat, especially if you are a normal person who grabs food at restaurants etc... or if your girlfriend or family cooks for you, or whatever.

2. Each day you burn a different amount of calories. You might workout and sleep on one day, and then on another day workout and do some walking and shoot pool, on another day you might not work out at all. The calorie requirements will be different for every single day!

Given these 2 facts, i don't see how it is possible to do this scientifically. So that is why I just ate everything in sight! Because I dont think this can be measured...

i don't see how it is possible to do this scientifically. So that is why I just ate everything in sight! Because I dont think this can be measured...
    And that is exactly why you're not seeing the results you want. You're going to have to develop a little self-control and discipline if you are seeking specific goals. Maybe even make some sacrifices if you have to. If you want this bad enough, you will make it happen. The only person who can change your body is you. You're eating everything in site because you just don't care and you don't want to track either and yet you're asking for advice on optimal dieting to gain minimal fat. You can't be lazy AND have the body you are searching for. It requires work, consistency, dedication, and persistence. Nothing should stand in your way of achieving what you want.

In the end, its your body and your life. You can choose to do whatever you want, just remember that you ain"t going to get good results, if you don"t put the effort in and that effort includes counting calories and counting energy expenditure.

There"s a lot of good advice in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    201 at 6'2" is tiny. I'm 215 at 6'3", and I'm boderline ethiopian.
    I must be less than ethiopian. 6'3" 190
    "Tom explained that when he came in he was in awe of the lifters in the group and that you can never become what you're in awe of."

"keep smoking weed, fail the test, and learn a ****ing lesson."--MrWebb78

"Chicks dig lifters because they know lifters arn't affraid of commitment"

I suppose it is possible to count calories of every single day, I will conceed that. That would probably just take discipline and refusing to eat out, etc..

But like I said, every day you burn different amount of calories, there is no way to measure that number. You do hundreds of different activities in a single day, each burns a different amount of calories. Sitting at this computer I might have burned some calories, when I walk to get the mail it will burn some, when I workout, etc... On a certain day my calorie requirement may be 2000, on another day 2500, or maybe 1800 or whatever...

So how can measuring calories help me? If you can't respond to this question, then your method isnt very valid...

EC

www.fitday.com to start tracking. and your average daily caloric requirements may not be exact but they generally stay within a pretty normal range unless you do something crazy like hike for 8 hours. If you eat 500 calories a day less then what you burn in the average day you will start losing weight. If you eat 500 above you will slowly gain weight.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

It's really not that hard, I think you're making it tougher than it has to be.

3500 calories equals roughly a pound. The smartest way to bulk back up without gaining too much fat is to restrict yourself to gaining roughtly 1-2 lbs a week. Anything more and you're probably gaining more fat than you want. So for example, if you track your Calories religiously for 1 week and notice that you haven't gained or lost any weight, then that is what your maintenance Calories are, i.e. the amount of calories burnt by your basal metabolic rate, daily activities (lifting, walking, etc), and the energy lost just by consuming food. If you add an extra 400-500 Calories every day, over the course of a week, you will hopefully have gained a pound. If not, you might have to add another 200 or so Calories to each day and see if you gain weight after a week.

Now, to address your other questions. Your weight can fluctuate tremendously every day, so even if you burn an extra 200 Calories one day, as long as you are getting a surplus of Calories over the course of the week, you'll gain weight. So let's say your body burns 2600 Calories a day on average. If you take in 2600 Calories a day, you should stay at about the same weight. If you take in more (3100 Calories/day), you should roughly gain 1 pound a week. Let's say one day, you work out more than you usually do, let's say you burn 2800 Cals instead of 2600. You still are getting an excess of 3300 Calories over the course of the week, so that one day really doesn't influence it that much. If you look at it as day to day changes, you'll just drive yourself crazy. Track calories every day, but focus on weight gain/loss over the course of the week.
    Last edited by offhegoes03; 04-05-2007 at 01:21 PM.
    Chicken, Cows, Eggs, and Milk: Eating Big, Lifting Heavy
    My Fitday

Height: 5'8"
    5/07 Weight: 168 lbs, 9% BF using calipers
    Goal: Start lifting again in January and hopefully get rid of this tendinitis.
    "Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy"

Lesson:

Bulking by "eating everything in sight" will get you fat quickly and take ages to diet off.

The others are right. You don't have to be EXACT with your calories, but you should know round about what you need to eat every day. You're right that your expenditure varies and you can't always determine the exact calories of every meal you eat, but you should always have an idea. If you're getting significantly fat after 2 months then you are clearly over-doing it.

Ok, great advice... next time I bulk I will count calories..

I suppose I should be counting calories during my cut, but I find cutting very easy. The reason cutting is easy is because there are very intuitive ways to get a calorie deficit... for instance, you eat only when you're hungry, you stop eating when you're NEARLY about to be full, you dont eat carbs at night, you do some exercise, and eat stuff that is healthy and low in sugar and fat...this is an easy formula that works...

As far as counting calories, I suppose I will need a scale to weigh all my pieces of chicken... and read all the labels.. and measure everything... I will keep you posted...

EC
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 04-06-2007 at 01:30 PM.

Actually the cutting formula is a bit different then you think.

Track calories.

Cut daily maintenance calories by 15-20%

Get 1g protein per lb of LBM

Get .5g of mostly healthy fat per lb of LBM

The rest of the calories are less important. I recommend whole grains, green veggies etc. But you can technically eat donuts and as long as you dont go over your Maintenance - 15-20% then you will lose weight.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

for instance, you eat only when you're hungry, you stop eating when you're NEARLY about to be full, you dont eat carbs at night, you do some exercise, and eat stuff that is healthy and low in sugar and fat...this is an easy formula that works...
    The carbs at night is a myth, the low fat is not healthy and is also a myth, and if you want to lose minimal muscle, you need to track your calories. You still aren't understanding the importance of diet and tracking. It is even more important on a cut. And like Unholy said, you need to be getting at least .5 grams of fat per pound of LBM. For more info on fat in your diet, read this ~> Mmmmm Fat!

And here's another link to check out ~> So you need help with your diet...
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 04-06-2007 at 01:55 PM.

Well I appear to have lost at least 4-5 lbs since this thread began... I was 202, now I'm consistently weighing in at 196 every day... I think my metabolism was so high that the change in diet had a pretty dramatic effect right off the bat... of course, you guys have theories about water retention... anyhow, its a good start..

EC

Great start indeed, keep it up!
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Well I'm now weighing in at 193. Is it possible to lose weight so fast? If this continues, I may decide to bulk when I reach 180. Or do you think that is too soon?

EC

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    Er, I hate to burst the bubble but 201 @ 6' 2" is not big. You either have very little muscle and a spare tire around your waist or you have muscle and are exaggerating how fat you are. I am an inch shorter then you an at 201 I would have to have 0% bodyfat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    201 at 6'2" is tiny. I'm 215 at 6'3", and I'm boderline ethiopian.
    That is freakin' tiny. I'm 6'0" 325lbs....you'll be fine dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    If you clean up your diet, start eating at or right below maintenance cals. Start lifting heavy with a good split you should recomp wonderfully.
    I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    You can't be lazy AND have the body you are searching for.
    Damn.

Well I'm now weighing in at 193. Is it possible to lose weight so fast? If this continues, I may decide to bulk when I reach 180. Or do you think that is too soon?

EC
    What will your BF % be at 180 ?

Wannabebig Member
    I am not a weightlifing newbie, I gained a decent amount of muscle for a few years... but then I got mono and was in bed for 6 months.. I didn't want to lose the muscle I had gained so I still ate a lot of calories.. now I am fat as ****!!

I am able to lift weights again, and I want to gain even more muscle.. problem is now I really do look like Eric Cartman... if I go on a cut it could take me 6 months to lose all this weight.. I'd rather continue to bulk up and add to the great gains I made earlier...

So what do you think, is it dangerous for me to continue bulking, even if it is a REALLY CLEAN BULK? What would you do in my situation?

Thanks,

EC
    NO...NO...NO...You will gain muscle while dieitng down if you havent been training. Do not bulk up if you value your health!

Quote Originally Posted by BIG NASTY BOY View Post
    NO...NO...NO...You will gain muscle while dieitng down if you havent been training. Do not bulk up if you value your health!
    I hope you're joking.

Big Nasty Boy, what the hell are you talking about?