The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

at 329(shameful)pounds how many calories per day should I eat to "cut" and keep LBM?

I am 329, and have no idea as to my BF %. I would imagine that it is quite high.
    Would I *need* to know that before I think about how many calories I need?
    I have a really simplistic understanding of it caloric intake(deficit and surplus)
    Since I am 329:

(329)12=3948

So, as long as I keep it below 3948, I am at a deficit, right? That's how I understand it. Isn't that the amount of calories my body requires to maintain this tremendous weight, and that it will burn with just me doing nothing?

I do no cardio
    [I wanted to start, but I want to get my diet straightened out first. And when I do start it will be light cardio
    (walking, neighborhood cruising bicycling). Nothing intense.]
    I lift twice a week, I added some more lifts to my work out last time also, it still does not take long though.
    I am thinking that I should be consuming 2500-3000 calories per day. What do you guys think of this?

(Also, should I be "cutting" at all? I know that most will agree with me that I should, but I have heard it argued that one should put on the desired muscle mass *first*, before cutting, because then when one lost weight, and decided they wanted to bulk, they would just have to cut down again. Furthermore, by bulking first and increasing your muscle mass that will increase your metabolism and help you lose fat faster anyway)

Thanks for reading.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Learning as I progress
    Bulking at 329 is a mistake, unless you are an established powerlifter. Dont let the thought cross your mind again.

Since you are probably at a very high bf%, you will be cutting weight for a while. Id so a PSMF so kick start things. Take a two week maintenace break after 3 months, and repeat the process until you need something more mainstream.

WRT maintenance, its can vary a lot from person to person, but BW X 15 is a loose guideline.

GL.
    Complication breeds desperation.

Just get active, get ur cardio in, lift weights, eat less than u currently are and u will lose weight. It doesn't need to be complicated.

The number that u posted for ur calorie intake is just a ballpark number. If you're really worried about tracking calories, and counting what u eat, calculate what u eat on a normal day right now (if ur weight is relatively stagnant), and use that as ur ballpark for a maintenance. Or do it for a week for a better representation.

But really, my first two sentences are what really matter in this post.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

You don't need to cut, you need to change your lifestyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

I agree with bohizzle...right now I would put lifting a little further back...and just focus on the cardio...I was headed down that road once...and I saw it getting out of hand...and it takes a lot to get it where you want...but once you get a hold of it... it's the greatest feeling...i've lost like 30 lbs in the past two months...I weighed 345...and being as big as we are...a pool is the best place for cardio...so much easier on the joints....Good Luck

Thanks to everyone for the advise.

Con,
    Yeah, I have decided not to worry about muscle mass at this point. So, I will not "bulk". I figured it was a bad idea anyway. When you mentioned PSMF, I had no idea what it was. Then I did a little research, and it seems to be a rather difficult diet. I need something that is simple. Also, something where the food is cheap(think peanut butter and wheat bread). I think PSMF is probably more conceptually complicated than what I want to get into at this point, and also that it would be difficult to follow(that one guy who is really promoting it said it is more difficult to follow than atkins).

but BW X 15 is a loose guideline.
    The number I gave was BWx12. So x15 is more accurate? Or does it really matter, as they are both loose guidelines?

Bohizzle,
    Just get active, get ur cardio in, lift weights, eat less than u currently are and u will lose weight. It doesn't need to be complicated.
    That definitely makes sense.

Rusty,
    You don't need to cut, you need to change your lifestyle.
    A lot of people say that "it's not about dieting, it's about changing your life style" and things like that. But what exactly do you mean? Could elaborate some more on that? Were you essentially saying what Bohizzle was, but in more general terms?

edit: Hey Boss, just seen your post after I posted. I hate it when that crap happens:

Quote Originally Posted by BossHawg02 View Post
    I agree with bohizzle...right now I would put lifting a little further back...and just focus on the cardio...I was headed down that road once...and I saw it getting out of hand...and it takes a lot to get it where you want...but once you get a hold of it... it's the greatest feeling...i've lost like 30 lbs in the past two months...I weighed 345...and being as big as we are...a pool is the best place for cardio...so much easier on the joints....Good Luck
    I am not going to put off my lifting. I appreciate the advise, but I think that would be a very bad move on my part. Even just for the psychological benefits. I am making some progress(minor though it may be), but it is of immense value to me, and I do not want to give it up nor do I want to postpone it. I do not think it will do anything but compliment my weightloss goals, and I certainly do not believe my lifting will conflict with my weight loss goals. I do think I should include some cardio though. But it will be light cardio. Way to go with your weight loss. Being fat ain't no fun.
    I wish I could get into the pool, but I do not have access to one. Which is a darn dirty shame, because I love swimming. I used to swim all the time when I was a kid and teenager. I would do mile-swims when I was a Boy Scout, and I would play waterpolo too when I got the chance.
    Last edited by Sumorai; 10-13-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumorai View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the advise.

I am not going to put off my lifting. I appreciate the advise, but I think that would be a very bad move on my part. Even just for the psychological benefits. I am making some progress(minor though it may be), but it is of immense value to me, and I do not want to give it up nor do I want to postpone it. I do not think it will do anything but compliment my weightloss goals, and I certainly do not believe my lifting will conflict with my weight loss goals. I do think I should include some cardio though. But it will be light cardio. Way to go with your weight loss. Being fat ain't no fun.
    I wish I could get into the pool, but I do not have access to one. Which is a darn dirty shame, because I love swimming. I used to swim all the time when I was a kid and teenager. I would do mile-swims when I was a Boy Scout, and I would play waterpolo too when I got the chance.
    Right on, definitely dont quit the lifting.

In fact i would do the opposite and ditch the cardio personally. At your weight and fitness level cardio is going to be a strain on your heart and unless your during interval training like HIIT (which you cant because of said fitness level and weight), steady state cardio isnt gonna do much but stress your heart and catabolise muscle mass. Not to mention turn a bit of fast twitch fiber => slow twitch. Which is also counter productive to your goal as far as shedding fat. Fast twitch muscles burn fat.

Oh yeah your goal. Your goal should be to "clean" up your diet, and at the same time turn your body into a calorie burning machine....even while you arent exercising, i.e. running. So use those muscles so your body doesnt lose em for you.

I was once almost 300 lb myself, i dropped down to (see sig) and did almost 0 cardio. All it takes id cleaning up the diet, and exercising with intensity. You dont really need to start counting calories till you drop some of that weight, and you will.

Ok, im rambling now....i got my Nitor in the mail today, took 1 capsule this afternoon and im still spinning. This stuff is great. (shameless plug)
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

Just eat, lift, and you will lose weight, regardless just because you're adding a bunch of strenuous movement to what I assume is not there right now.

Take walks around your block or park, bike to work instead, take the stairs.
    Cut out soda. Little things like that will help.

Make this a part of your life, like the days that you don't go to the gym will feel weird, empty some how. Then you're on the right track!
    I don't have time. I make time.

Quote Originally Posted by tigo View Post
    Make this a part of your life, like the days that you don't go to the gym will feel weird, empty some how. Then you're on the right track!
    Haha, holy crap i feel like that, wednesday is my offnight and i never know what to do with myself. Cant go out since i work in the morning, but im all fidgety. Maybe ill go anyway and just do HIIT on the 'mill. lmfao!
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

next-tyson-but-white arnoldsclone's Avatar
    alright here goes dude,

i was once 302 lbs mahself a couple years ago,now i'm 210 lbs. The way to lose a ton of weight and to do it fast is to

1. superset everything you do as far as weightifting goes to burn more cals.
    2. do 30 mins of cardio every other day at a minimum.
    3. become determined and set some realistic goals
    4. start eating 6 small meals a day to get your metabolism to kick into gear, have the meals be 300 calories a piece and eat every 2.5 to 3 hours, you won't be too hungry because you'll be eating regularly but you'll never give your body enough food at 1 time to store fat.
    5. get a journal to document everything from lifting to cardio to food and your weight.
    6. get a gym membership damnit if you don't have one already.

This is the practical method to drop weight healthily

the way i did it was to eat 6 small 200 cal meals daily, overtrain myself purposefully so i would be in the gym every day and lift for like 1.5- 2 hrs and then do cardio for half an hour. i would come in and work out on saturday for like 3-4 hrs every saturday! It takes drive and ambition and self controll. you need to learn these things to get the physique you desire my friend

Ahnold says, " milk is for babies!"
    "deadlift if you know"- myself
    Boxing/ working out 5 days a week!
    6'1"- 230lbs-and bulking till i can't stand the mirror
    Former fatass- whent from 302lbs to 207 lbs rippling 05-06
    bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405
    big 3 total = 1175 lbs of RAW IRON!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Get big.
    Start cardio NOW. Stop making excuses. At 329 lbs with a body fat percentage that is probably through the roof, you are a major candidate for heart disease. You're killing yourself. I'm not sure what else can be said

Thanks for all of the replies. I found them quite informative. Somehow the new replies slipped under my radar. I guess I figured this thread was not getting any more responses and forgot about it. I don't know.
    But anyway, I really appreciate it.

I had a long, long, reply, but I accidentally lost it. lol, that sucks. but maybe not, considering it was really long and may have been somewhat rambling. But definitely thanks to everyone. As for my plans:

I will probably do *light* cardio. This will entail some light bicycling and brisk walking. I will watch what I eat. I'll try to eat smaller but more frequent meals, but I don't know if I'll start counting calories again yet. But then again, I need to know how much I am taking in, so I'll just have to do it.
    And of course, I will continue lifting.

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate the advice.

edit: shanesen, what do lift on your big three(max or projected max)? I am curious because we are the same height and I was wondering if you've found limb length to be a major hindrance for you(particularly in bench press). Also, I have the same BW goal as you(250lbs...but coming from the other end of the weight spectrum! lol )
    Where do you expect to be in so far as your big three are concerned in say....about 5 years?(by then of course, I imagine you will have achieved the 250bw). Do you want to eventually get bigger than 250?(I definitely would not want to, and I don't get the impression you do either, but who knows)
    Last edited by Sumorai; 10-20-2007 at 01:23 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    ****** 329 you are a big boy for sure

I rarely max out so im not sure about my big 3. I usually just concentrate on my progressing in my working sets. If those get stronger, so will your max. I prefer not to max so i can avoid possible injury, its just that unimportant to me. I HATE taking time off due to injury.

As far as working sets goes, im bench pressing 5x5 @ 255 atm. Squatting 5x5 ATF at 275 (torn meniscus atm, have to be very careful or knee locks up on me). Deadlifting 5x5 @ 315.

I have just gone back to BGB after doing wbb1.1 for quite sometime and dropping a lot of weight. I have already beaten some of my previous numbers even though i now weigh much less. I fully expect to gain a lot of strength now that im back on BGB, as i did the first time.

After about 3 months of BGB, i intend to give crossfit a go for as long as it takes until i get burnt out on it.

As far as body weight goes, i dont plan on ever weighing more than 250 again. If i end up in the 230's but ripped and strong, ill be extremely happy. I want functional fitness. being near 300lb, even though i was only at about 20% bf, i just felt bad. I would sometimes have trouble breathing, and irregular heart beat. I just dont think my frame was intended to carry that kind of load 24x7.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

Quote Originally Posted by DieselDan1014 View Post
    ****** 329 you are a big boy for sure
    lol...well hopefully I won't be this fat for too much longer.

shansen,
    Thanks for sharing your info. Those are good numbers. How much rest between sets are you taking on the bench? There must be something wrong with me, because I cannot bench the same weight, for multiple sets. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I think there is something physiologically wrong with my muscular endurance. I think it is something genetic. For example: If I bench xlb's 5 times for one set, on the second set I could get that same weight only like 2 or 3 times. And that is with a five minute rest. It usually takes me about 15 minutes to fully recuperate I think. But anyway, I'll normally work out with a reverse pyramid. My first set will usually be like 2-4 reps, then I will drop down the weight and increase the reps. I normally do 3 sets. I am pretty happy with how my strength is progressing, so I am afraid to change it for now.