The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Losing muscle/strength on a cut?

Today I started my first cut, but I'm wondering, if I start to lose muscle mass or strength should I:
    !) increase protein intake
    2) increase overall calorie intake
    3) lower volume of weight training
    4) increase volume of weight training

I know the above options are pretty general, but I suppose I'm asking you what you fellas did if/when you found yourselves in this situation?

Hopefully this won't happen, but i want to be prepared for all eventualities.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by JConrad; 04-02-2007 at 03:41 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It is very dependent on the amount of loss IMO.
    I would be more worried about an decrease in LBM which would equate to strength loss. If I found I was losing LBM at an unacceptable rate I would increase my calories… which would increase my protein intake. I wouldn’t change my lifting since I would have done enough research before starting my cut to know what is an acceptable amount.

Thanks for the info.
    I get nearly all of my protein from whey, which allows me to strictly dictate how many carbs and fat calories I take in. During my bulk I was on 1.6 grams of protein per LBM weight, and I will stick to this throughout my cut.
    Doing it using (almost) carb free whey protein makes it easy to cut the carbs, I'm aiming for 500-600 fewer calories a day and this reduction will be about 60% carbs and 40% fat calories with no reduction in protein calories.

Wannabebig Member
    You should make an effort to get some other types of protein in your diet. Whey is digested really fast, so while your body will have an over-abundance of whey right after you drink it, your body will have none between meals. Slower digesting proteins like meat give your body a more constant supply of protein.

Quote Originally Posted by almiki View Post
    You should make an effort to get some other types of protein in your diet. Whey is digested really fast, so while your body will have an over-abundance of whey right after you drink it, your body will have none between meals. Slower digesting proteins like meat give your body a more constant supply of protein.
    I don't eat meat, but i do have 3 bowls of oat cereal a day, so I get 600 ml of full fat milk every day.

Cottage cheese is also great. Fat free cream cheese as well. Whole wheat products also have protein. As long as your getting 1g protein for every lb of LBM and you are lifting heavy you shouldn't lose much if any LBM. Ive gained 10lbs of LBM on my cut so far.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    Cottage cheese is also great. Fat free cream cheese as well. Whole wheat products also have protein. As long as your getting 1g protein for every lb of LBM and you are lifting heavy you shouldn't lose much if any LBM. Ive gained 10lbs of LBM on my cut so far.
    Christ, I hope I can say the same in 4-5 months. I weigh 176 lbs, my best guess is that at least 20 lbs of this is fat, so my LBM is around 156 and I eat 185 grams of protein a day.