Thread: Olympic lifting

Banned

Olympic lifting

when doing them what are some ideal rep ranges for it. Im guessing 5x5 or 4x6. Im also guoessing you do these for strenght (low reps) and not hypertrophy or endurance(high reps)

Quote Originally Posted by YoungHypnotiq View Post
    when doing them what are some ideal rep ranges for it. Im guessing 5x5 or 4x6. Im also guoessing you do these for strenght (low reps) and not hypertrophy or endurance(high reps)
    You are right; olympic lifts are not designed for hypertrophy or endurance, though its possible to use them for endurance with light enough weight. (Its a lot harder to get achieve any hypertrophy with them alone - you might as well do squats/deadlifts for leg hypertrophy if that is what you are after.)

5x5 or 4x6 is actually pretty high and I would assume you'd be using no more than 60-65% of your clean/snatch max at this sort of weight. Often times, olympic workouts have triples, doubles and singles.. maybe something like 2 triples at 80% of your max, 2 doubles at 85% of your max, and another double at 90%. But this sort of workout is later in a training cycle.. 5 at 65% for 2 sets, followed by 4 at 70% for 2 might be nearer the beginning of the cycle.

Basically, as with any other movement, you need to periodize olympic training to get a good benefit out of it. I would not go above 5 reps on sets, and I certainly would not do 5x5 at the same weight. That's a hypertrophy plan (as is 4x6) and the Olympic lifts are technique and power which require a lot more concentration. You'd burn out hard on 5x5 with any sort of real weight. Further, as technique is the most important thing, my fear would be that after the first 2 sets, you'd lose your form on reps 4 and 5. Losing your form on an olympic lift completely defeats the purpose of doing them.

Jay

Banned
    so you recomend I do something like 2 sets of 3, 2 sets of 2, 2 sets of 2, and 1 set of 1. BTW. I only have the ability to do O-lifts so i do only them 3 times a week. how many lifts do you recomend for me to do in each W.O