Thread: Spartan Workout (300)

Wannabebig Member

Spartan Workout (300)

Either way, it's the reason Butler enlisted the help of Mark Twight, a former world-class mountain climber who, based on personal experience, believes in training as if your life depends on it. In fact, Twight would argue that a good workout should make you feel almost queasy upon hearing what lies ahead. For example, to hasten Butler's mind-body transformation, he created what he calls the "300-rep Spartan workout." (Trust us, 100 reps is plenty hard.) (*2) It goes like this: Without resting between exercises, Butler performs 25 pullups, 50 deadlifts with 135 pounds, 50 pushups, 50 jumps on a 24-inch box, 50 floor wipers (*3), 50 single-arm clean-and-presses using a 36-pound kettle bell, and 25 more pullups. All this, in addition to utilizing other unconventional yet equally taxing training methods, such as tire flipping and gymnastics-style ring training. Sound like hell? It is. In fact, upon receiving his marching orders for a Spartan workout, one of Butler's costars told Twight, "It feels like you just killed my dog."

1. Never Say Die

It was history's staunchest goal-line stand: 300 Spartan warriors fending off a million-man Persian army in the Battle of Thermopylae in 480 BC to save Greece, and perhaps even the seeds of democracy. Comic-book legend Frank Miller (Sin City) depicted the battle in a graphic novel, which hooked director Zack Snyder (Dawn of the Dead). "This is an incredible story to begin with," says Butler, "but Frank took it and turned it into a brilliant book. And Zack turned it into this masterpiece."

2. Train For Victory

Start off by doing 100 reps using four to six different exercises, 10 to 25 reps per exercise. Build up from there until you can do 300 without rest. Feel free to swap in exercises such as jumping jacks, dumbbell curls, and Swiss-ball crunches, says Butler's current trainer, Manhattan-based Joe Dowdell, C.S.C.S.

3. Learn A New Move

"Lie on the floor holding a 135-pound bar straight overhead," says Twight. "Keeping his legs straight, Butler touches his feet to one plate, lowers them to the floor in the center, and then raises them up to touch the other plate." That's one repetition. Try it yourself, but with an empty bar first, raising your feet until they're about 8 inches away from the bar (since there's no weight plate to touch).

4. Recover Faster

To determine whether you're pushing too hard, begin measuring your heart rate upon waking. When your reading is three to five beats above normal, your ability to recover is compromised, says Bill Hartman, P.T., C.S.C.S. Downshift your training -- and try to sleep more -- until your heart rate returns to normal.

5. Stop Smoking

Rather than having lights flashed into your eyeballs to quit the lung darts, you should start wearing the nicotine patch 2 weeks before your quit date -- one study shows that this ups the success rate significantly. Wear the patch on your arm, rather than on your back or stomach, to improve absorption.

for the full interview go to:

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...10000013281eac

So badass

Those guys in 300 looked GOOD, too.

Quote Originally Posted by freac View Post
    So badass

Those guys in 300 looked GOOD, too.
    Smoke and mirrors... don't let the lighting/computer graphics fool you. There are members on this board who didn't train professionally for months who have better physiques.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

For real? Cuz those are some damn trippy mirrors they have there if they can make abs like that! O.o;

Well, how should I put this... yes? Heck, I'm not a well-paid Hollywood computer engineer and I can use photoshop to make myself look ripped beyond all belief. I'm not saying that they didn't work hard for hteir bodies, but I'm pretty sure that all actors in these movies will have make-up and computers fill in the blanks.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Health goals

and I can use photoshop to make myself look ripped beyond all belief.
    Good thing I'm not that computer savvy, or else I'd definately use that power for evil >_>

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Some of those guys just had ripped abs and when the camera got close to them, they weren't even very big....at all.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

repost

I haven't seen the movie yet, but does anybody have a pic from the movie (of the actors)? A lot of people seem to be impressed with the CG abs, and I'm curious to see what all the buzz is about.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Quote Originally Posted by manowar669 View Post
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but does anybody have a pic from the movie (of the actors)? A lot of people seem to be impressed with the CG abs, and I'm curious to see what all the buzz is about.

No pictures but here's the trailer
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...62055073286303

For those that think it was all CG, look at this:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...69194676000688
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...15118014751607
    Completely untouched.
    Last edited by Coqui; 04-11-2007 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    Smoke and mirrors... don't let the lighting/computer graphics fool you. There are members on this board who didn't train professionally for months who have better physiques.
    Maybe you should watch the unaltered training videos before you discredit their hard work.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Maybe you should watch the unaltered training videos before you discredit their hard work.
    Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    I'm not saying that they didn't work hard for hteir bodies, but I'm pretty sure that all actors in these movies will have make-up and computers fill in the blanks.
    Aha! I've already got that base covered, so to speak!

I know they worked really hard and earned their progress in the gym for months at a time, but in the end I think it's laughable to assume that they didn't get any computer enhancing to fill in the blanks, as I alluded to in my second post here. My point is that it isn't realistic to look at the MOVIE 300 and say, "Wow, look at those abs that Gerard Butler has! He's a manimal!" Yes, he does get in great shape, but he also gets a little extra push, that's all.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Health goals

No one is saying there wasn't camera/makeup work involved in the movie.

BUT ...

Did you actually watch the training video? There are plenty of abs, no camera work involved. A lot of those guys were in great shape before, so it's not to say the training is 100% responsible ... but I find it a little amusing how people generally discredit actors and assume something else is at play (makeup, cameras, lighting, drugs, etc) instead of giving credit where it's due.

So again, watch the training video.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Wannabebig Member
    can u teach me how to photoshop and look huge.... I got a couple ex's that I wanna send some pics to.... 300 was amazing btw CG'd abs or not

Wannabebig Member
    Where is the training video?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    No one is saying there wasn't camera/makeup work involved in the movie.

BUT ...

Did you actually watch the training video? There are plenty of abs, no camera work involved. A lot of those guys were in great shape before, so it's not to say the training is 100% responsible ... but I find it a little amusing how people generally discredit actors and assume something else is at play (makeup, cameras, lighting, drugs, etc) instead of giving credit where it's due.

So again, watch the training video.
    +1

They all have awesome cores. The spartans are the new Brad Pitt of the Fight Club era, which is awesome because they have some legs!

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    +1

They all have awesome cores. The spartans are the new Brad Pitt of the Fight Club era, which is awesome because they have some legs!
    I thought he had a better physique in Troy

No doubt these guys had to work hard to get into shape just like every other human that wants to look good has to.

Although most of us have this little thing called work we have to do. Most of us also do not have a personal trainer daily or a chef that makes all our meals. Well my wife does but that just leaves less time for me in the gym.

Let me tell you, you tell me you’re going to pay me to get into great shape and have people waiting on me hand and foot and you just bought yourself one ripped SOB!

Where do I sign up???

Quote Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
    I thought he had a better physique in Troy
    People actually watched that?

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    People actually watched that?
    I liked Troy, even though I hate Brad Pitt. Didn't do too bad of a job compared with Homer's Iliad, or Virgil's Aeneid (I read the classics). They just made Briseis' role a little more PC.
    Last edited by manowar669; 04-12-2007 at 10:18 AM.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Troy was not a bad flick.