The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Currently Small

Misc. Questions for a new lifter.

So, I'm 6'0'' and 160 lbs. I started casual lifting about 2 weeks ago. I have a few questions that I would like to be addressed individually if anyone has the time or knowledge I've been wondering about these questions for some time and have made a list so I can put them all in one thread and get some information. Here we go.

- The size and strength between my left arm and right arm is tremendous. My right arm is quite bigger than my left, and I can feel it when I'm lifting weights too. I can literally double the reps with my right arm and it's mentally frusterating because my left arm is so weak. Has anyone experienced this and what did you do to even out the size/strength in both arms?

- Is working out 7 days a week too much? 6 days? 5 days? What is the most time you should spend at the gym without hurting yourself or overworking yourself?

- I am 6'0'' and 160 lbs...obviously that is pretty skinny. I've heard a few people tell me to pack on fat (eat fattening foods, more specifically fast food) to gain weight quicker. My workout buddy has told me to eat as LITTLE fat as possible. I'm going for a cut look, but I also want to put on some weight as quick as possible. Fat or no fat?

-Abs excercises? I am trying to put on a 6 pack, but the only workouts I know for abs are sit ups and pushdowns (Where someone pushes your legs toward the ground and you try not to let your feet touch the ground) Are there any ab excercises that wil produce more and quicker results than these?

- I hate eating vegetables. I know they are a huge need and necessity in your diet, but I really hate eating them. I do however like the V8 juice that they sell in stores. Each bottle of juice is supposedly "3 servings of vegetables". Could I get by on drinking a bottle of V8 a day and not have to worry about eating those nasty things?

Thanks for help ahead of time, I look forward to hearing some answers.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hey! Welcome to the forum! Ill answer as best I can

1) Yes its common for there to be differences in strength and size between each arm. To help your left arm catch up, do what your left arm can do on both left and right for all excersises. Your concern now is to even them out, this is the best way. If you use heavier weights in one arm than the other youll always have one arm bigger than the other.

2) For a person starting out 3-4 days a week is enough. Find a good routine here like WBB1 http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

I used that routine 6-7 months ago and ive gained 20 pounds in a span of 2.5 months ( I was underweight like you are now so weight will come easy). My deadlift went up from 0 to 175 in that period of time. Very good routine!

3) Fat is essential in putting on muscle. Certain growth hormones are made of fat. Get 1-2 grams of protein per lb of body weight, get your essential fatty acids, some carbs, and the rest can be what ever you want so you eat enough calories to grow

4) Try doing weighted ab crunches, they seem to work very well.

5) Vegetables contain phytochemical and nutrients. V8 juice isnt very healthy in terms of sodium content. I suggest taking a daily multivitamin.

Remember, lift heavy and eat alot!
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 04-08-2007 at 04:55 PM.

heading to 195
    Many people on here will have a lot more valid opinion than me, but I'll try to tackle some of these...

- That's quite possible, but you did say you just started lifting two weeks ago, and casually. I say, go hard, stay consistent, and over time, it will even out. I'm not sure why exactly your right arm would be that much bigger than your left, but it should even out eventually. As for mental frustration, like everything, a lot of problems exist in your mind. You may notice that your right arm is bigger than your left, so you have it set in your mind that your right arm will be that much stronger. Try to overcome that mental obstacle.

- I guess it would depend what you mean by "working out." If you mean lifting heavy weight, then yes, I would imagine so. I'm sure you could go 7 days a week mixing lifting and cardio, but strictly lifting probably won't give the body enough time to rest and grow. As for the amount of time you spend in the gym, I don't think there is a set time. You should construct a workout with the right amount of sets and reps, determine your time you'd like to take in between sets, and that's how much time you'll be spending. Time doesn't necessarily correlate to results, so don't think you have to spend more time to see better results.

- I wouldn't necessarily say you'd have to have as little as fat as possible, but a clean bulk is probably better than consuming food that is bad for you. It's kind of hard to go for a cut look if you're wanting to bulk up.

- Putting on a 6 pack is also hard if you want to put on a lot more weight and not look so skinny. I don't know if there is any super exercise for abs that puts on quick results. There are plenty of ab exercises you can google though.

- I'm not sure about the V8, but I would imagine it is preferrable to actually consume the vegetables as opposed to drinking them. I am just guessing, but I would think that if you are consuming vegetables in a liquid form, you're more prone to quickly excrete the beneficial vitamins and nutrients as opposed to consuming them in solid form. The best thing to do is learn to like things like vegetables. Again, mental. Train yourself to enjoy them, or at least stomach them.

Hopefully if I misinformed at all, someone will be so kind as to correct me. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by snow; 04-08-2007 at 04:59 PM.

I would think its easier to abosrb nutrients if its in a liquid

Wannabebig Member
    i had the same problem with my right arm being stronger than my left and i evened it out by using dumbbells

when i work out i have monday wednesday and friday for lifting and tuesday and thursday for cardio and thats it.

Your right arm may always be a little stronger than your left. Just use dumbbells in the meantime, and it should (Mostly) even out.

As for diet, stay away from fast food. Sure, you could put on some pounds by eating that garbage, but going clean will make it much easier when you go on a cut later on. As for fat, if you want mass, GO FOR IT! Easy calories there. Peanut butter, cheese, whole milk. Fat doesn't make you fat. Lack of exercise and excess calories do. Fat's essential to your diet. That, and it's tasty

Here's your ab routine:
    3x10 Weighted sit-ups once a week. If that gets too easy, up the weight. If you run out of weight to use, do them on a decline.
    Ab definition is all diet. Most all of us want nice abs.
    BUT you're also wanting to pack on mass. Well, it's going to be hard to do both at the same time.

So set a goal. If you want to be 200 pounds, set that as your goal. Once you get to 200 pounds, go on a cut until you can see your abs. This way, you'll be bigger AND have some sexy abs, as opposed to being a 6 foot twig with no muscle and a little bit of ab definition.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Currently Small
    I want to have more of a cut look than a mass look, if that makes sense.

i24.photobucket.com/albums/c31/taxed_upon/willposey.jpg (it wont let me post a link so you'll have to add the www or whatever before it)

That is basically the body style I am trying to achieve, maybe with a more defined chest. Does this mean I have to get up to 200 lbs and then cut and get my weight down to 185? Or can I just eat less fattening foods and build muscle up to 185 without having to bulk first?

Also, I was looking at the suggested workout routine and I notice that on some excercises, it seems like it isn't enough of a workout or not enough excercises to actually workout a muscle group. Example:

Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps

So 3 excercises, 2 sets each, with 6-8 reps per set. Is that really enough of a workout on chest for a whole week?
    Last edited by Sexican; 04-08-2007 at 08:50 PM.

juice plus....is something you can get to avoid eatting veggies...this will give you intake of fruits and veggies but check em out

http://www.juiceplus.co.uk/nsa/pages/Home.soa
    If you want to prevail
    Ignore the known road
    and BlaZE your own trail

Wannabebig Member
    A little off topic but within the same idea...

I'm right handed and my right arm is stronger than the left but when I flex my biceps, my left arm is noticeably larger. It was always the opposite before I started lifting. I'm assuming they will even out eventually.

Did the left get bigger to compensate for being weaker from the start?
    5'11, 194lbs, 22 yrs old, Lincoln, NE

USMC Boot Camp weight: 170 lbs
    Starting Weight: 176 lbs
    Current Weight: 194 lbs
    Target Weight: 215 lbs

sexican dont have the mentality of "staying away from fatty foods" because fat is essential for growth. Your mind set should be in terms of calories, not fat.

And yes its enough training for a newbie. Youll be suprised how many people out there over work their muscles.

As well because your new, every week in every excersise you should out do what you did before. You should only be able to do 6-8 reps of that excersise, if you can do more, raise the weight. In other words, make those 6-8 reps count by going all out (with good form). Make it a quality workout.

I was skeptical at first but my gains were very good, and yours will be too if you eat alot (including fat), sleep, and lift hard.

Wannabebig Member
    I disagree.

You DO want to add calories but you'll have to cut for a longer period of time if you eat a lot of fat.

Eat the leanest meat you can find. Lots of calories, protein and very little fat.
    5'11, 194lbs, 22 yrs old, Lincoln, NE

USMC Boot Camp weight: 170 lbs
    Starting Weight: 176 lbs
    Current Weight: 194 lbs
    Target Weight: 215 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by calebmurf View Post
    I disagree.

You DO want to add calories but you'll have to cut for a longer period of time if you eat a lot of fat.

Eat the leanest meat you can find. Lots of calories, protein and very little fat.
    Very little fat?
    Fat is important when it comes to hormones. Someone here may have a better idea that I do but from my understanding fat is needed for growth hormones.

Fat doesnt make you fat, too many calories do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sexican View Post
    So, I'm 6'0'' and 160 lbs. I started casual lifting about 2 weeks ago. I have a few questions that I would like to be addressed individually if anyone has the time or knowledge I've been wondering about these questions for some time and have made a list so I can put them all in one thread and get some information. Here we go.

- The size and strength between my left arm and right arm is tremendous. My right arm is quite bigger than my left, and I can feel it when I'm lifting weights too. I can literally double the reps with my right arm and it's mentally frusterating because my left arm is so weak. Has anyone experienced this and what did you do to even out the size/strength in both arms?

- Is working out 7 days a week too much? 6 days? 5 days? What is the most time you should spend at the gym without hurting yourself or overworking yourself?

- I am 6'0'' and 160 lbs...obviously that is pretty skinny. I've heard a few people tell me to pack on fat (eat fattening foods, more specifically fast food) to gain weight quicker. My workout buddy has told me to eat as LITTLE fat as possible. I'm going for a cut look, but I also want to put on some weight as quick as possible. Fat or no fat?

-Abs excercises? I am trying to put on a 6 pack, but the only workouts I know for abs are sit ups and pushdowns (Where someone pushes your legs toward the ground and you try not to let your feet touch the ground) Are there any ab excercises that wil produce more and quicker results than these?

- I hate eating vegetables. I know they are a huge need and necessity in your diet, but I really hate eating them. I do however like the V8 juice that they sell in stores. Each bottle of juice is supposedly "3 servings of vegetables". Could I get by on drinking a bottle of V8 a day and not have to worry about eating those nasty things?

Thanks for help ahead of time, I look forward to hearing some answers.
    I prescribe you reading my journal from front to back.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Lord.... eat vegetables. They are good and good for you. You could take some pills and drink V8, but you ARE NOT going to be getting all of the phytonutients that you could be and you will eliminating a lot of soluble and insoluble fiber from your diet. I'm sure there are innumerable benefits to actually eating healthy foods rather than eating crap and popping pills, but I'm not a dietician - do a google search and I'm sure you'll get hundreds of sites.
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-09-2007 at 02:59 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sexican View Post

Pull-ups and Deadlifts.

Have fun.