Thread: A couple of noob questions

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

A couple of noob questions

Hey guys. I have been hitting the gym pretty hard lately trying to get a little healthier. I just had a few questions that I hope I could get answered. Sorry if they are dumb but I'm just starting to learn here. thanks in advance.

1. I am seeing great results in my legs and back. However my arms and chest seem to be pretty unaffected by my workouts. Could this mean that I am not doing something right or that I just need to change my workout? I have been doing the same routine for a little over a month now but I didn't think I would need to change it up that quickly. Overall I am very happy with my results elsewhere but it seem like my arms and chest are just moving alot slower that the rest of my body.

2.I am currently cutting on a diet of about 2000 cals a day. I can see a few inches lost here and there, but overall my weight is not changeing much. Is this normal or should I cut cals even more? Just to let you know I am 6'0 280 with a bf% somewhere around 30 (yeah I know big fatty).

3. WTF is a curl jockey and why is it so bad to be one? I do curls on my arm days and don't mind being called things I just want to know if I am either wasting my time or doing something detrimental to myself.

Thanks in advance for any info you guys can give. I really have gained a whole lot of information since I have starting browsing this forum.
    -Dave

1 and 2 might contradict each other. You say you have no effect on your arms and chest. What are you trying to do? If you're trying to burn fat, your chest and arms aren't really going to be getting much bigger. At 280 pounds, I can already tell you 2000 calories isn't enough. What do you mean by them not being affected. Not going up in weight, not burning fat off those areas?

3. A Curl jockey (in my opinion) is one who spends their entire time in the gym working on their biceps. Completely ignoring the fact that they have more muscles in other parts of their body. To me, back day gets a lot more bicep growth than arm days ever have.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm sorry for not being clear. My legs and back have "thined" out alot and I am starting to see some definition. I'm not looking to build more muscle right now just keep what I have. While I have lost alot of extra fat on my claves It seems like I can't lose the fat on my arms. Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by twistedframe; 04-10-2007 at 07:08 AM.

1 month is nothing. If your arms haven't thinned out a bit after another 4-6 weeks then maybe adjust something in your diet or training.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
    1 month is nothing. If your arms haven't thinned out a bit after another 4-6 weeks then maybe adjust something in your diet or training.
    +1

Just keep at the diet thing, and the changes will come. It won't happen overnight...

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks guys for all the info! I know it won't happen overnight I've tried all the fad diets in the past so I know those are all bs. I guess I've been seeing really good results in my legs and was just hoping everything went that fast . Oh and does 2000cals really seem low? I don't know what my maintinece was b/c I used to eat a whole bunch of crappy fast food and drink sodas. I just basically cut that out and replaced it with hicken and tuna for the most part. Anyway thanks for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by twistedframe View Post
    Thanks guys for all the info! I know it won't happen overnight I've tried all the fad diets in the past so I know those are all bs. I guess I've been seeing really good results in my legs and was just hoping everything went that fast . Oh and does 2000cals really seem low? I don't know what my maintinece was b/c I used to eat a whole bunch of crappy fast food and drink sodas. I just basically cut that out and replaced it with hicken and tuna for the most part. Anyway thanks for the comments!
    Your body will lose fat at different rates. My back is starting to look shredded yet I don't really have any definition in my arms (unless I flex)