The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone experienced with frats/sororites???

This is gonna sound pretty pathetic but I need some help. My girlfriend goes to a different college than me and is currently pledging for a sorority. I here stories all the time from guys and girls about all the weird **** they had to do during pledging. Her sorority has a brother fraternity so she got her big brother or whatever.

Now, I've heard in the past that some sororities have the new girls do things like have sex with a member of the brother frat to get in and stuff like that. My gf assures me that our relationship means more to her than joining a sorority and she would drop out if they ever told her to do something like that. She even said she asked the older sorority girls and they said that's degrating and they don't do that (But I take anything they say with a grain of salt because you can't trust 99% of those conniving *****es).

Is it true that sororities make the girls do that? And if it is, do you know if it's a commom thing and theres a good chance her sorority would make the girls do that?

I know I'm gonna get people saying "if you can't trust her to make the right decision you shouldn't be with her" but its not that I don't trust her, its that I've been giving her hell all the time about how the older girls are just gonna lie to her to pull her in and she is wasting her time and should just focus on school.

Thanks everyone

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    its that I've been giving her hell all the time about how the older girls are just gonna lie to her to pull her in
    Well, P, what's the worst case scenario? Even if they *did* lie to her to "pull her in," she's not bound to stay there. She's free to leave if it's not to her liking.

I know you're not goign to like to hear this bro, but it sounds like you are a little insecure vis-a-vis this girl. Frankly, if you can't trust her to live in a sorority, it's my opinion you must re-evaluate your relationship with her. You should either trust that your woman won't shack up with a guy at the first opportunity or you should start searching for a replacement.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

If your sure she wont go have sex with some guy to get into a sorority you have 0 problems.

yeah i know, but it seems like a lot of guys, even those who trust their gf, get cheated on. It's a problem thats way too common.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Dude, I used to be all like "OMGZ My GF izzz gona cheat on me!!! OH ONZZZZ!!11"

Then you know what? I said good. I wouldn't want to date or marry a girl who cheated on me. Thanks for saving my time and money.

It's a win win either way.

Not being a dick but one of my best buddies was in a frat his whole college career for 4 years. I hung out with him and them all the time throughout the years and went to a bunch of frat parties, socials. etc. I don't think you should worry about the pledge more than the 'socials' they have. Pretty much the guy frat and girl sorority ahve a party that is exclusive for just them. I've seen alot of **** go down durin them. Not saying your girl is like that...but the option will more than likely always be there. If you trust her 100% I would say don't worry about it...if your questionable...well then.......bang some girls and keep quiet so when you find out she cheated you can feel good about yourself and still make her the bad one

Big Brother = **** buddy

Just kidding bout the big brother part

I was in a frat. What you are hearing is nonsense. If it's not, I got shafted.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

If it makes you feel better during our socials the girls were not allowed in our bedrooms, and they always had sober monitors. Things did happen sometimes, but not as often as I would have liked. Most sororities actually try to stay away from getting negative names at the school.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Luckily she's 5'4", and shes taller than him. He's a real little guy, so it's not like I would have to confront some 6'4" 245 pound gorilla who's squatting 500 pounds if something ever did happen.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    You got shafted.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    You got shafted.
    LOL pwned.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

K Phenom. This is a complicated one. You mind me asking which university she goes to (and maybe her name so I can Facebook her and send her a poke, just ****ing with ya)?

Different schools have Greek scenes of different intensities. I'm at USC and there's a pretty strong Greek scene BUT the girls stay really classy and what you're speaking of would never happen... at least not in the way you described (ie "forcing" someone to do it). Certainly girls are impressionable and if a guy is part of their brother frat which happens to be a cool frat then the outcome can still be the same.
    This is at USC. If your girl is going to a university in Texas then you might be ****ed because I heard there are girls in sororities who will only marry a member of a brother fraternity later on in life. Shallow? Yes. Pathetic? Definitely. BUT apparently that's just how some people tick.

On the other hand, as has been said by other members, you might want to re-evaluate your relationship. I don't know how old you are, how far apart you guys are, or how often you'll see each other but to be honest having your girlfriend join a sorority and yet trying to keep a monopoly on her sex life is a bit cruel. The funny thing is that the sooner you decide that her having sex with someone else will not get to you = the better you'll feel about things and paradoxically the less likely she will be to "cheat" on you. When she hears the jealousy over the phone it'll make you lose a few points in her book and then what? You can only lose so many points before she hops on some other dude. SO DON'T ACT JEALOUS OR WORRIED!

With that said, and I know this sounds uber-preachy, you might want to think about whether you care for this girl as property or as a person. Because if you cared for her purely as a human being I think you would possibly say to yourself "well I just want her to have a fun time and live it up... as long as I don't have to raise a kid that's not mine or get an STD". I mean seriously than it will reciprocate for you and you'll be free to do whatever you want. And as I said earlier it'll make her less likely to hook up with other guys (at least in my opinion).

Want to know what might make or break a situation like this?
    Well let's put it this way, I hope you're good at phone sex.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

I was in a fraternity. It is and it isn't like that. She is not forced to have sex with anyone, but I can guarantee you that every drunk dude known to man is hitting on her. She will be in situations that will be uncomfortable, but that will happen at any party or bar she goes to.

You have to ask yourself, when she gets drunk, how does she act? That will determine whether or not she will hook up with someone else.

If you two are at two different colleges and don't see each other. Take a break and let her do her thing and you do your thing. Unfortunately, in my experience its not going to work out.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    I was in a fraternity. It is and it isn't like that. She is not forced to have sex with anyone, but I can guarantee you that every drunk dude known to man is hitting on her. She will be in situations that will be uncomfortable, but that will happen at any party or bar she goes to. .
    Yeah unfortunately I've been faced with this many times. I've been with her for over 3 years so I've adapted very well to the fact that tools, both drunk and sober, are going to hit on her. I've gotten better at dealing with it over the years.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    You got shafted.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    Different schools have Greek scenes of different intensities. I'm at USC and there's a pretty strong Greek scene BUT the girls stay really classy and what you're speaking of would never happen... at least not in the way you described (ie "forcing" someone to do it). Certainly girls are impressionable and if a guy is part of their brother frat which happens to be a cool frat then the outcome can still be the same.
    This is at USC. If your girl is going to a university in Texas then you might be ****ed because I heard there are girls in sororities who will only marry a member of a brother fraternity later on in life. Shallow? Yes. Pathetic? Definitely. BUT apparently that's just how some people tick.
    Pretty far away from texas. We both go to college in new york, about an hour away from each other, so I see her a couple times a month. And when at home, she is about 5 minutes away from me. So we see each other a decent amount. But damn, that whole frat/sorority marriage thing...that's messed up.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    Pretty far away from texas. We both go to college in new york, about an hour away from each other, so I see her a couple times a month. And when at home, she is about 5 minutes away from me. So we see each other a decent amount. But damn, that whole frat/sorority marriage thing...that's messed up.
    Where in New York if you don't mind me asking. I went to the Univ. of Buffalo.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

^^^

Binghamton University for me, she goes to the SUNY Oneonta

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by accuFLEX View Post
    Dude, I used to be all like "OMGZ My GF izzz gona cheat on me!!! OH ONZZZZ!!11"

Then you know what? I said good. I wouldn't want to date or marry a girl who cheated on me. Thanks for saving my time and money.

It's a win win either way.

With that attitude, it almost seems like you're already preparing yourself for her to cheat, so that if she does you will be able to just shrug it off like it was nothing.

The only problem with that is if you are already assuming a defensive attitude, it might be kind of hard to enjoy the relationship. Sure they won't be able to hurt you, but they probably won't be able to make you feel especially good either.

I think to really get the most out of a relationship you have to leave yourself vulnerable to some extent.

Whether or not you believe the benefits of being vulnerable outweigh the potential pains is another question entirely.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 04-13-2007 at 01:41 AM.

Uh... cheating IS nothing. So she bangs a few guys, so what? If it's you she wants to be with and you who she wants to father her children then big deal. It's just sex.

I don't care how many guys my girlfriends of the past and present sleep with, and they know it. None of the serious ones ever have taken me up on it, though. I go out of my way to fill all emotional, physical, and intellectual needs and I do the best I can with what I've got in the looks department (I'm a 6 at best). I make it so that even ex's have to admit I was the best boyfriend they ever had, and regret not being with me. If I wasn't poor as **** none of my girlfriends would ever have left me. The ones who did leave because I'm poor usually contact me a few years later, brokenhearted from being with a bunch of jerks who were inferior to me in every way except for a paycheque.

She's young, you're young. Let her sleep around a little if that's what she wants to do. If she's really into you she won't anyways. And if she's not... you're only 19. Hardly life destroying if she finds someone else.
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 04-13-2007 at 06:20 AM.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

^^Edit: This was to SpecialK

It's not a defensive attitude, it's a non needy attitude. I don't need a woman in my life, but if I had one, which I do, I expect the best from her and don't put up with any crap.

At 19, most girls and flaky and change their values almost daily. I'm not going to invest my entire heart in someone that could be completely different in 6 months.
    Last edited by accuFLEX; 04-13-2007 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer View Post
    Uh... cheating IS nothing. So she bangs a few guys, so what? If it's you she wants to be with and you who she wants to father her children then big deal. It's just sex.

She's young, you're young. Let her sleep around a little if that's what she wants to do. If she's really into you she won't anyways. And if she's not... you're only 19. Hardly life destroying if she finds someone else.
    Dude....no. Just no. If people get involved in a monogamous relationship there shouldn't be any outside hanky-panky. If she sleeps around "a little" now then she'll do the same further on down the line. I don't care what you say--once a cheater, always a cheater.

Now, if you guys decide to be swingers or something, then it's allllllllll good and you two/four/whatever should have a very good time.

But as far as it being cool for her to sleep around in the confines of a relationship, I say that's not acceptable. Break up, do your thing, then get back together if both of you think you're still best for one another. It might seem like I'm splitting hairs by saying it's cool to break up to sleep around, but being honest in a relationship and admitting to cheating is bad, but I wholeheartedly believe that in the confines of a relationship: no cheating!!

Personally, I think we've mistaken pair-bonding for monogamy as a society. There's a biological urge is to mate with multiple partners and a biological urge to form a long lasting attachment with a dependable one. I'm not opposed to the idea that these two things don't need to be mutally exclusive.

So I guess I'm a 'swinger' except I don't really care to seek out other partners. The one I have is good enough for me.

Honestly, this whole 'possessive' thing over a sexual partner has never made sense to me.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

^^ I wish I had that attitude. I would kick the **** out of some dood if I caught him snaking my girl (even more if he knew I was with her)