The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Eating Disorders: Did I stunt my growth as a stupid kid?

Does anyone have experience with or knows any one that has had experience with eating disorders?

Throughout middle school I was a skinny-fat kid. I have thin parents and thin brothers and I had a thin frame, I would just say that I was rather flabby because my diet had a lot of excess calories and junk food and I didn't exercise. I had always been really self concious about my appearance, and it was during late middle school that I got it in my head that my body had too much fat on it.

By the begining of 9th grade I had actually begun to "take action" so too speak. At first you could call my actions healthy. I eliminated soda from my diet (I drank like 2 to 3 a day) and virtually all junk foods. It didn't stop there, however. As with most things in my life I became incredibly obsessive about dieting and losing weight. I cut back more and more and more. In retrospect I really had no idea how thin I was getting. By the winter of my 9th grade year I can remember that pretty much all I ate in a day was a small 6 inch sandwich/soda/baked chips from subway (every day) for lunch, MAYBE some soup when I got home, and a little bit of whatever my mom made for dinner. I went from around 150 pounds (at the end of 8th grade) to 110 or 115 pounds. I really had a skewed self image.

I believe this "stint" of my life can pretty much be secluded to my 9th grade year, as in september to around June. That june I went and lived with my dad in my home town that summer and can distinctly remember eating stockpiles of food (partially due to the munchies, having discovered pot with my friends) and from then on my diet was relatively normal. The year following my diet was still pretty neurotic but no where near as calorie restrictive or insane as it was for those few months. I ate regularly and often ( but was still health concious. No junk food or soda) and was pretty much normal in terms of eating although I was still a very thin 10th grader at about 5'10 and 125 pounds.

I began weight lifting and bodybuilding at the begining of 11th grade. That entire year was just filled with haphazard gym learning experiences and eating just about everything bolted to the floor. With the exception of a week long loss of appetite due to my mom's death in february of that year, I rocketed up the ladder and was about 150 pounds by that summer.

I continue'd with the body building, learning more and more about proper form, routines, and diet. When I graduated from highschool I was 6 feet and about 175 pounds.

It is now a year after I graduated from Highschool. There are many things about my past that I deeply regret, but nothing haunts me more than the fact that I might have possibly permantly ****ed my body up in some way by being an idiot as a 14-15 year old in 9th grade.

As far as height is concerned, I am taller than my dad and older brother by about two inches, and am as tall as my half brother whose dad is, as far as I know, taller than my dad.

Other than that, I feel pretty healthy. I am often told I am very muscular by friends and family, but it doesn't seem to help the issues that I have bottled up in side of me. I fret about my thin wrists and hands, sometimes convincing myself that they're syptomatic of growth stunting, but I know in my heart that its genetic as my two brothers have very delicate wrists and hands as well.

So I guess my question is, what are the chances that I've severely damaged my frame growing up? What impacts on bodybuilding will this have?

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by greentinted; 04-10-2007 at 02:54 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Small joints/bones are great for bodybuilders because it makes your muscles look fuller and bigger. I doubt one school year could have messed up your frame for good.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Whatever is going to be posted is just an opinion; honestly I don't think you have "damaged" anything you are over 6 feet so I wouldn't say it hindered your growth considerably.
    The only impact I see It having is if you use it as an excuse then it may become a problem. I would just continue to eat properly and lift toward your goals, no matter what is said itís not going to change what "is".

Did you stomach become horrible distended while your ribs poked through your skin like you see in those infomercials of starving children? If you didn't achieve that and maintain it for a long time, I doubt you stunted your growth. If you were 5 feet tall in a family of 6 foot people, lacking hair and teeth, then perhaps you might have been malnourished.

i never ate food per say till i was about .. 22. I went my whole life on No breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, whatever was for supper and that was it. I never really realized it till i was about 21, and never did anything about it for another year. I'm 190+ now, but if i lost all this muscle i'd i'm a 120lb wimp under all this. I see kids at the gym that have never touched a weight in their life, 16yrs old and their 180+. I'm also a few inches shorter than the average height in my family.

Either way i dont think it effected me in a detramental fashion. I've turned it around, and i just enjoy eating healthy now, and getting in a hard workout everytime i hit the gym.

Your Just fine Bud! IMO. 175lbs aint bad at all! Just keep liftin! Your Young!
    Last edited by Roddy; 04-11-2007 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greentinted View Post
    Other than that, I feel pretty healthy. I am often told I am very muscular by friends and family, but it doesn't seem to help the issues that I have bottled up in side of me. I fret about my thin wrists and hands, sometimes convincing myself that they're syptomatic of growth stunting, but I know in my heart that its genetic as my two brothers have very delicate wrists and hands as well.

So I guess my question is, what are the chances that I've severely damaged my frame growing up? What impacts on bodybuilding will this have?

Thanks for your time.
    Let me address this in two different segments. First, I don't think you've stunted your growth. I think the fact that you're still concerned that you've stunted your growth despite being as tall as or taller than everyone in your family is very symptomatic of someone with a real body dysmorphic disorder.

That brings me to my second point - you're still worried about the size of your wrists and hands. This type of neurosis is similarly symptomatic of someone with a disorder.

I think you'd be best served by seeing a professional to discuss these issues, as you're concerned enough (still) about your body image to obsess about it. Nip this in the bud, ya know? We'll be pullling for ya.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Nothing you can do about it bro. Just keep eating and training and push your limits.
    31 years old
    5'8", 183lbs
    Current PR's:
    Bench 225lbs x 4
    Squat 255lbs x 3
    Deadlift 315lbs x 3

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    ...I don't think you've stunted your growth. I think the fact that you're still concerned that you've stunted your growth despite being as tall as or taller than everyone in your family is very symptomatic of someone with a real body dysmorphic disorder.
    I agree wholeheartedly. If you're two inches taller than both your dad and full-blooded brother, you don't have stunted growth.

Your obsessive thoughts about the appearance of your wrists and hands are unusual. The fact that you had some body image issues even prior to your mother's death point to some underlying issues that need to be explored. I agree that a visit to a mental health professional could be be beneficial. Best of luck and keep us updated.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.Ē --- Charles Darwin

I'm glad you posted here.

I agree, it doesn't sound like you've permanently damaged your health. Wouldn't hurt to make sure your primary doc is aware of your history, and have him/her give you a good once over.

On to the ongoing issues: You've gotten 90% of the way there - you recognize you had a problem, you've pretty much overcome it with positive behavior (bodybuilding). I certainly think you should spend some time with a therapist of some sort to make sure you work through it all.

From the tone of your post, you'll be able to do that, and you're going to be just fine.

And having been through all of that, you'll have no trouble at all working hard enough in the gym to get jacked.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I was sort of like you in school dude (I'm assuming you are a dude). All I ate was junk, even though I was always hungry. I was too busy playing videogames. I'm 6 ft tall with a rather small frame, including small wrists. My younger brother is an inch taller than me and he had even worse eating habits. But what can you do about it even if you find that it did stunt your growth? Build a time machine?