The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Stop Smoking Journal

OK,

This has been a thorn in my side for 5 years now. I've quit once or twice for up to 3/4 months. I've always blamed something stupid for my relapse though, and I know they are all just excuses.

What sucks the most, is that now I am bettering myself physically through lifting and eating cleanly, but I'm still offsetting that with smoking. I want to quit, for good, for life. Smoking constricts the blood vessels in your body which decreases blood flow and I think it is responsible for my long recovery time in between workouts. It also has it's effect on my CNS and lung capacity. I'm tired of it.

I thought to myself, what better way than to start a journal, where I know I will receive peer motivation and praise, as well as a few harsh words if I continue to fail. I don't plan on failing.

Last time I quit, I used Chantix which is a VERY expensive new drug that tackles nicotine differently than the patch. Instead of replacing nicotine, like Nicoderm and Nicorette, it actually blocks the nicotine from entering the brain. You are supposed to take 2 pills a day for 6 months, continue to smoke for the first week, and even though you are smoking, your body will not receive the benefit of nicotine, effectively quitting nicotine cold turkey.

Chantix has worked for me before in December, but my wife cheated and left me, which I used as another excuse to start up again. That bitch isn't going to run my life anymore, so it's not even a bad excuse to continue smoking.

The drug comes in 1 week packets so it is easy to administer. I will be starting it on Sunday, April 15th. I plan on updating this journal with the amount I have been smoking, and the feelings I'm having as I go through withdrawals. Also I will account for the great feeling I have to see it stop affecting my lifts and recovery times.

I appreciate ANY and ALL input including but not limited to, "You are an idiot for smoking this long!", "Be a man and just quit!", etc.

Please be with me through this endeavor!
    theJamAbides
    5'11" - 200 lbs.
    Jam's Journal

BP - 190x5
    DL - 250x5
    SQ - 230x5
    C**k Pushups - 1x1 (Cuz that's all you need baby!)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm sure myself and many others will be glad to assist in your quest. You got the mindset right, now all ya gotta do is get it done! Best of luck.
    19 Years Old
    5'8
    147lbs

Journal:http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=102026
    RAW/Belt - Pre-2008 - Present - Goal
    Bench: ------- 185 ------ 200 ----- 225
    Squat: ------- 265 ------ 285 ----- 315
    Deads: ------- 355 ------ 405 ----- 455

I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me [strong]. And when I [lift], I feel His pleasure. -Chariots of Fire(mod.)

Quittin sucks. I smoked since I was 16 and I'm now 23. I quit at the beginning of football season for a few months then started again and now an 2 weeks off again..this time hopefully for good. The key is to not have the occasional cigarette when youare drinking because it WILL lead to you smoking full time again. The best thing I find to help is commits (mint flavor)
    You can grab some at your local cvs or walgreens behind the counter. They are a lozenger that slowly dissolves on the side of your cheek giving you a little dose of nicotine. Life saver.

http://www.commitlozenge.com/
    Good luck with ya goals.

Son, Ive been smoking for almost 8 years and I am only 19. I need to quit as well.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Started smoking when i was 18, got up to over a pack a day. Now, ive been tobacco free for 3 months. I know you can do it man. When you quit, everything changes....your energy levels, your hair/teeth/skin, your sex drive...and i don't even need to tell you how much it helps your working out. Just keep thinking of your goal...i know you can do it...

i found that toothpicks help
    B:250x2r S:235x5r D:295x5r
    Bulking to 240...now 220
    Goals: B:310x1r S:350x1r D:400x1r

---------------------------------------------------------
    Journal

I'm with you man quitting is hard but not impossible! You can do it , just focus on your goals

As for me its been a week since i last smoked. My problem is that i'm always going out with my friends and its tough not to smoke just one!! However, i promised myself i'd stop and i plan on sticking to it. Goodluck,we're all with you here!
    Last edited by WILL006; 04-11-2007 at 03:29 PM.
    July 2005 weight....175 March 2007 weight....197
    March 2006 weight .230 February 2009 weight...200
    July 2006 weight.. ..215 May 2009................209
    September 2006.....200
    December 2006......209

Bench max .....275
    Squat max ......315
    Deadlift max......405

You guys are awesome! I'm psyching myself up for Sunday.

I know what you mean about having the occasional cigarette while drinking, that's what always brings me back. It's silly. I've really taken my drinking down to a bare minimum and I'm always mindful of when and where I drink so as not to hurt my workouts or my growth (as best as I can). Hopefully I can carry that over into my mindset on smoking.

I was worried about the appetite suppressing nature of smoking, but I thought about it, and I'm almost to my goal of 185 anyway, and then I plan on bulking, so what better time to quit?!

Good luck to those who are reaching their goal of quitting simultaneously with me. Feel free to track your progress in this thread as well. Everyone is welcome!
    theJamAbides
    5'11" - 200 lbs.
    Jam's Journal

BP - 190x5
    DL - 250x5
    SQ - 230x5

Week 1

OK, so I followed the instructions and kept smoking for a week while I took the startup pills. The pills during the first three days are quarter doses and the last 4 days of week 1 are half doses.

I started on the full dose on Sunday, and am still taking one in the AM and one in the PM. Yesterday I cut my smoking from 25 - 30 cigs a day to 6. Today I've smoked 2 cigarettes so far and it's 11 o'clock.

I will admit that before the medicine I'd be jonesin' every hour or so, and I'm just really NOT at all now. I just need to work on the coworkers that want me to head outside with them every few hours or so. I have trouble saying no.

Off to a good start I'd say. I had a great workout last night, some of which could probably be attributed to my 5 cigarettes instead of 20 beforehand. Can't wait to see what zero is like.

My divorce is final tomorrow and I get to go see my beautiful bride in court. Should be stressful, but I'm not going to buy any cigs so I shouldn't have one with me.
    Last edited by theJamAbides; 04-24-2007 at 09:56 AM.
    theJamAbides
    5'11" - 200 lbs.
    Jam's Journal

BP - 190x5
    DL - 250x5
    SQ - 230x5

Well, I've been on Chantix for almost a month now. I just went my first week without smoking. Even went out and had a few beers and didn't even think about it.

So far I've noticed: Showering after waking without the inevitable hack and black phlegm coming out of my lungs, increased lung capacity, increased sexual virility , and better sleep.

Hooray! I'm gonna stay on the drug for 2 years of that's what it takes, but as of right now, I don't want or need a smoke. I'm happy.
    Last edited by theJamAbides; 05-06-2007 at 10:10 PM.
    theJamAbides
    5'11" - 200 lbs.
    Jam's Journal

BP - 190x5
    DL - 250x5
    SQ - 230x5

I'm really proud of you. This is huge. Not only are you ditching that monkey on your back, but you will no longer feel the contradiction between your addiction and your otherwise healthy lifestyle.

Every time you want a smoke, consider this: If you cave, you're supporting an industry that deliberately targets and addicts children, because it's virtually impossible to convince a non-smoking adult to start smoking.

One day at a time. You're living it. Stay strong.

Thanks Built! That means alot and that is such a good thing for me to think about whenever I get the urge. I'll take your advice for sure!
    theJamAbides
    5'11" - 200 lbs.
    Jam's Journal

BP - 190x5
    DL - 250x5
    SQ - 230x5