Thread: Bodybuilding Problems/ Gaining weight

Wannabebig New Member

Bodybuilding Problems/ Gaining weight

hi,

im 19 years old,weigh 50kg and am 5 foot 4.
    i started doing some weights a couple of weeks ago, but i made huge mistakes, i was inconsistent as hell and from recently looking at the wannabebig forums my routine for gaining weight was poor. Now from looking at all the advice on the forums i now want to become more dedicated to gaining weight and will give 100% to achieve my goal of getting bigger. But over the past weeks of inadequate weightlifting i have discovered many problems with my body:

body problems i noticed:
    1) i have mild dextroscoliosis 7 degrees to the right i think
    2)my right arm is a tiny bit longer, bigger and stronger by far than my left (my doctor thinks i cut a nerve when i was younger as my auntie would drag me often forcefully)
    3) my right ''wing'' is so much more pronounced (especially when flexed) compared to my nonexistent left wing)
    4)my left pec looks much smaller than my right
    5)my right rrap looks longer and ''lower down'' than my left
    6)my whole of my right body just seems much stronger than my left and i feel i have much more control (hard to explain, dw it doesnt have a mind of its own ), and my right always seems to be more sore...though i have tried to make my left work harded by using dumbells instead of barbells when i can
    7)IM SO SKINNY and i think theres more but i cant remember atm:

i was wondering if any or all of these problems would stop me from doing weights and a weight gaining routine. I am asking this forum because all the people i have spoken with dont know jack and keep contradicting each other: My former PE teacher was just a football freak, my doctor is just bewildered with weightlifting general and my friends just say its a waste of time, i dont know anyone with decent knowledge so im just lost in the dark.

After finding all these problems with my body i'v lost any confident i had left , but ive replaced that with a determination to fix these problems and gain weight, if it is within the realm of possibility i will pour every last gram of my being to my goal. So i ask what should i do? i m just so skinny and now after seeing these problems well... i just want a decent, good looking physique, nothing crazy, just decent.

If it's possible for me to achieve a decent body, i was thinking of starting off at WBB1. I live pretty far from a gym and cant afford it anyway, so i saved up and bought a bench, barbell, dumbells, weights and a chin up bar so im limited to excercises with only these equipment so i cant do the dips, leg curls or military press in rack, any good replacements for these exercises?

sorry for such a long post, im just at the end of my tether and just want to give you all the information about my body so you can see if i can be helped or if i am beyond help. Thank you for reading and i look forward to your responses.

I will always be greatly indebted to those that help me more than you'll ever know. Thank you again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wannabebig New Member
    the other pics, sry for double post could only upload 5 per post:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    You are skinny as hell and have nice broad shoulders like me. Lots of room to fill in.

Eat lots and keep working. It has been working well for me and I started out at what you were as well.

You don't have as big of a difference as you think.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Congrats on developing the burning desire to better yourself both physically and mentally...and also persevering, despite obstacles you have had and will have in the way. It requires the kind of motivation you have right now to change your life for the better, and to prove to yourself that you can do this. Now...moving on...

There are no routines for gaining weight. Gaining weight is completely dependent upon your diet and how much you eat. If you are consuming more energy (calories) than you are expending, you will gain weight. Everyone is different and everyone has different needs. I am about your height and I've found I need to be eating quite a bit in order to gain weight. I used to be severely skinny until I found out the magical powers of calories. You should start tracking everything you're eating. I have a task for you. Go sign up at www.fitday.com for a free account. Then track EVERYTHING you eat over the next week. Then come back here and post a link to your diet journal from FitDay. We can then evaluate your diet further. As for your diet, you should be eating at LEAST the following minimums ~>

Protein: 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM (Lean Body Mass)
    Fat: .5 grams of fat per pound of LBM

The rest of your calories can come from protein, fat, or carbs to meet your calorie requirements for each day and whatever makes you feel the most comfortable. Most of the fat you eat should come from healthy fat sources (EFAs - Essential Fatty Acids). That can be from olive oil, fish oil, natural peanut butter, nuts/seeds, chicken, fatty fish, avocados, etc...

We can start talking about your caloric needs after you track your calories for a week so we can get an idea of what your average is. The simple point here at your weight though is...you simply need to eat more...a LOT more. But after you give us your average calories for a week, we can get into this further.

body problems i noticed:
    1) i have mild dextroscoliosis 7 degrees to the right i think
    2)my right arm is a tiny bit longer, bigger and stronger by far than my left (my
    doctor thinks i cut a nerve when i was younger as my auntie would drag me often forcefully)
    3) my right ''wing'' is so much more pronounced (especially when flexed) compared to my nonexistent left wing)
    4)my left pec looks much smaller than my right
    5)my right rrap looks longer and ''lower down'' than my left
    6)my whole of my right body just seems much stronger than my left and i feel i have much more control (hard to explain, dw it doesnt have a mind of its own ), and my right always seems to be more sore...though i have tried to make my left work harded by using dumbells instead of barbells when i can
    7)IM SO SKINNY and i think theres more but i cant remember atm:
    You are far too skinny to be worrying about such tiny details at this point in time. After you gain 30 pounds, then maybe you can start analyzing your weak points a bit more.

Everyone deals with the body that is given to them. Everyone's physique is unique.

But you have no idea what you'll look like 40-50 pounds from now. As for exercises, get the form down SOLID and never increase the weight if it causes you to lose proper form or control. Not only is this safer, but you will grow faster as well keeping your form good. Are you doing the WBB Routine #1? You should start with that as it does not contain a ridiculous amount of volume and it is easy to get into while still making great strength/size gains, given that your diet is on key.

An important note: DO NOT RUSH ANY OF THIS. Building muscle and strength takes time. Leave your ego at the door and never use more weight than you can handle. Over time, you will become strong. Everyone has to start somewhere. Don't try and rush things because results won't come any faster and if you get injured, you could be out of lifting weights for a month or more, and that would suck.

If I can think of anything else I'll write it. Please feel free to ask questions.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 04-11-2007 at 06:36 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

You do look a bit lopsided, but just lift and see if it fixes itself. And geez, eat.. you're tiny.. no offense.

Wannabebig New Member
    thanks guys for the replies, i signed up at the ''fitday'' site and as of tomorrow i'll start filling it in. Im going to stat shovelling food in now (mostly from healthy sources) till i can take no more and then some. You guys have given me hope, im severely skinny now, its true but im gonna stick to the routine, eat like crazy and hopefully that will change.

Thank you again.

Drink a lot of milk. Easy calories.

Eat natural peanut butter like it's your job.

Watchya talkn bout willis
    my right arm was like yours too, a little longer, but luckily it grew back proportionate

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    but luckily it grew back proportionate
    Man: Homer, this...this is never easy to say. I'm going to have to saw your arms off.
    Homer: They'll grow back, right?
    Man: Uh... yeah.

lol ^^^

You've got a pretty good base to work from...I've seen much skinnier people than you so be assured that it's not that bad.

As far as your dis proportionality, it may seem bad to you but in your pics you look fine. If you keep at it, they just may grow into each other.

Follow advice that's been given, lift and eat like a crazy man. I have to eat at least 4k cals a day to gain.
    age---------22
    weight------140 145 150 155 160 165 170 and counting
    height------ 5'9"

Bench 225x1 | Squat 325x1 | Deadlift 355x5
    My Journal

Remember - if it were easy then everyone would do it.

I was 120lbs when I first started lifting weights. At a height of 5'9". I started eating better and tracking what I was eating (biggest step). If I wasn't gaining at least half a pound a week I increased my calories by another 200-300. I'm about 220lbs now at 5'10". For all those people that claim to be hardgainers, you're hardly-eaters. It's not how much you eat in one sitting but how much you've eaten over the course of the day.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Do that voodoo that he do
    Do everything as far as diet that Scars indicated, then add a cheeseburger on top of it. Seriously, I'm not kidding.

Find a nice, progressive weight training program. WBB #1 is a good one, but there are a bunch of others out there. Work hard at it and continue to train with progressively heavier weights. Did you complete all of the prescribed reps that session? Then add a small amount of weight next time.

Eat progressively more and more food. Work hard for 3-6 months. Write down what you do (or have a journal on here) and pay attention to your body. Make little notes about how you feel when you do certain things (with your diet, exercise, sleep, etc) even if you think it doesn't matter. The more you learn about YOUR body the better off you'll be.

See where you are in about six months. If you've done all that I just said you'll be a ton stronger, have gained a lot of good weight, and know a whole lot more about yourself.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Wannabebig New Member
    thanks for all the advice.

started everything today, eating like crazy and listed everything i ate on ''fitday.com''. Im drinking a tall glass of milk after every meal and eating peanuts as if my life depended on it, but so far i've only eaten 1500calories (dinner and after dinner meal still to come) , worryingly my diet today consisted of 50%fat, 25% carbs, 25% protein (90grams only so far but i can get it up to around 110-120 by bed) . I think i definitely need a high calorie shake to make sure i can get in more calories. I would glad of any suggestions...are any of these any good? (i have whey protein powder but it the calories they provide are minimal):

discount-supplements.co.uk/store/sports-supplements/weight-gainers/?referrer=cdd

I also decided to start WBB1 legs (because stupidly and naively i had up until today never done any leg exercises). It was the most intense workout i've ever had, after just the squats my thighs were quivering. i did all the exercises in the routine except the leg curls because i lacked the proper equipment. I think my squat form is a bit lacking though, many sites stated that proper technique not to let your knees go past your toes and to sit down as if sitting on a chair nehind you. I did that but short of falling backwards my knees would still go past my knees a little bit. any tips to make sure that my knees dont go past my toes?

thank you again for your responses, encouragement and advice, i truly appreciate them.

Superboy, glad to see that you're taking the necessary initiative to change yourself. I have a feeling that three or four years from now you'll be the next Homeyield and you'll look back at these old pictures of yourself when you're explaining to someone how you USED to weigh in at 110. KEEP IT UP! Also, you don't need to be buying "weight gainers" - if you have trouble getting enough calories down (which you never ever should), try the following in a blender:

1 banana
    1/2 cup oats
    1 tbsp natural peanut butter
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1-1.5 cups milk
    (whey protein, if you have any)
    This comes out to somewhere in the 500-700 calorie range, and you'll be able to slam these down at will.

Honestly, I'm guessing if you're serious about gaining weight that you should probably have MORE than 1500 before dinner. I don't know what your daily caloric needs are, but its safe to say that they're likely a little higher than that... but TRACK TRACK TRACK and get back to us, k?
    Last edited by McIrish; 04-12-2007 at 05:15 PM.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer