Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help out a skinny kid, Please!!!!!

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Help out a skinny kid, Please!!!!!

i am 16 years. i am 5'9" and only weigh 130 pounds. i have been working out at least three days a week for the past year and a half and can only bench 120 pounds. i think it might be because i do have long arms, thus it is harder for me to push the weight up after it touches my chest, but i try to deny it. i need some input on what a long armed skinny kid can do to bulk up with muscle mass and strength. i have track and crosscountry practice all year round except for the winter, so i dont have much time to workout 5 days a week as i do in the winter. i am in dire need of some weight lifting routines that will help me out and help me gain weight as well as strength.

-Tbeatty

eat, eat, lift, eat, sleep... Try to get as many cals in a day as you possibly can and lift heavy. you need to eat atleast 6 meals a day... try to get up to atleast 3500-4000 cals a day and you should see some gains.

Banned
    I remember when I was a freshman.. I only pushed 105 on bench....a year later I was kicking 145 max...Now I'm at 205 max...3 yrs later....takes time and like gunshow said...all you can do is...

eat eat eat, push push push, sleep sleep sleep....period

I was the same size as you at the beginning of the school year. Just eat, you probably think you already eat a lot, but you don't. Eat eat eat, and go heavy on bench. Don't do something like 4 sets of 10. Do something like Bill Starrs routine. Oh ya, and drop cross country, you can't possibly enjoy that, and it will make getting bigger a lot harder.

you dont have to lay the bar on ur chest to get a good feel from the workout n movement so why dont you look at your elbows and go as low as 95ish degree angle and bak up?

ps for weight gain hit up 3 weightgainer shakes chocolate flavor with a glass of milk + 2 teaspsoons of peanut butter blender time and that should be about a good 1.2 k calories each
    Last edited by kique; 04-12-2007 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kique View Post
    you dont have to lay the bar on ur chest to get a good feel from the workout n movement so why dont you look at your elbows and go as low as 95ish degree angle and bak up?

ps for weight gain hit up 3 weightgainer shakes chocolate flavor with a glass of milk + 2 teaspsoons of peanut butter blender time and that should be about a good 1.2 k calories each
    Unless we are dealing with some sort of debilitating shoulder injury, I think its better for people to go through their full range of motion as opposed to stopping earlier. Especially new lifters. More experienced ones can play around with partial reps to achieve certain types of overload, but for a newer guy, he should develop strength throughout the whole motion.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris View Post
    Unless we are dealing with some sort of debilitating shoulder injury, I think its better for people to go through their full range of motion as opposed to stopping earlier. Especially new lifters. More experienced ones can play around with partial reps to achieve certain types of overload, but for a newer guy, he should develop strength throughout the whole motion.

Jay
    thats what the dumbell free weights are for incline bench with dbs will develop a good structure/strength
    Last edited by kique; 04-12-2007 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    Oh ya, and drop cross country, you can't possibly enjoy that, and it will make getting bigger a lot harder.
    LOL!!!!
    XC sucks, I HATED IT, but a ton of my friends loved it and personally, i think they would have been lost with out it (character development wise). only drop it if you are serious about lifting. And if you are serious about lifting and getting stronger and bigger (and not looking like a string bean all the time) EAT SOME DAMN FOOD
    "Tom explained that when he came in he was in awe of the lifters in the group and that you can never become what you're in awe of."

"keep smoking weed, fail the test, and learn a ****ing lesson."--MrWebb78

"Chicks dig lifters because they know lifters arn't affraid of commitment"

eat more.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbeatty991 View Post
    i am 16 years. i am 5'9" and only weigh 130 pounds. i have been working out at least three days a week for the past year and a half and can only bench 120 pounds. i think it might be because i do have long arms, thus it is harder for me to push the weight up after it touches my chest, but i try to deny it. i need some input on what a long armed skinny kid can do to bulk up with muscle mass and strength. i have track and crosscountry practice all year round except for the winter, so i dont have much time to workout 5 days a week as i do in the winter. i am in dire need of some weight lifting routines that will help me out and help me gain weight as well as strength.

-Tbeatty
    Honestly, you need to drop the outside actvities.

?????
    EAT!!!! your metabolism is probably very high you need to eat alot of food to get those muscles to grow also i would say your so skinny because you run xc and stuff and since you do that your gonna have to eat that much more but keep it up and eat eat eat, get plenty of rest and lift hard and heavy ....

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPW View Post
    EAT!!!! your metabolism is probably very high you need to eat alot of food to get those muscles to grow also i would say your so skinny because you run xc and stuff and since you do that your gonna have to eat that much more but keep it up and eat eat eat, get plenty of rest and lift hard and heavy ....
    I've seen ectomorphs who could not gain weight eating tons of food with a lot of outside activity, but I agree his problem is he cant get in enough cals to grow. I dont think he can stick with the long distance running and gain much muscle if hes pure ecto.

schmitty199
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG NASTY BOY View Post
    Honestly, you need to drop the outside actvities.
    Well im currently in track and still gaining weight. So to the OP it's probably not your sports that keep you from getting bigger. Your probably not eating enough, or not lifting on a good plan.
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys

120 aint bad, im 16 5'8 and 130 and am benching just under 100 haha..

Quote Originally Posted by tbeatty991 View Post
    i am in dire need of some weight lifting routines that will help me out and help me gain weight as well as strength.

-Tbeatty

tbeatty - WBB1 is a great routine to start with, link is below.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

Read all of the pages. You might want to print it out.

Good luck dude.
    31 years old
    5'8", 183lbs
    Current PR's:
    Bench 225lbs x 4
    Squat 255lbs x 3
    Deadlift 315lbs x 3

Quit cross country. It is next to impossible to gain muscle while on a cross country routine.

Addicted to Adrenaline LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    Oh ya, and drop cross country, you can't possibly enjoy that, and it will make getting bigger a lot harder.
    Wow dude, honestly you just pissed me off. How the hell do you know what he enjoys? Just because you dont like to run doesnt mean he doesnt. I used to run and liked it alot. Regardless, I did stop, but thats besides the point, because a lot of people dont stop. Oh, and btw, you seriously need to stop lifting...No one actually enjoys lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlifter View Post
    Quit cross country. It is next to impossible to gain muscle while on a cross country routine.
    Highly untrue. Unless you are working EXTREMELY hard at CC, you probably wont be burning muscle. The body only burns muscle when it is out of fat. As long as he keeps his caloric intake high above his expendature its very possible for him to make gains.

To the thread poster: FYI, Im a lot like you, you can read my info in my profile. Oh, and also, Im turning 16 in like 2 weeks and I only bench 95, so dont sweat it dude.

Although what a lot of the people have told you is somewhat true, it is only true to a certain extent. If you wanna stick to running, feel free to keep running, but you MUST understand that this means you have to keep your caloric intake HIGH above the average lifter (and the average lifters intake is already high). Personally, I shoot for 6000-7000 calories a day, and I havent done any REAL running for over a year now. That also has to do with me being an ectomorph though, which I dont know if you are or not. Just remember that to gain muscle you have to gain weight, and to gain weight you have to take in more calories than you put out, and with all that running, your sure to be putting out a lot of your calories.

Good luck man!

Quote Originally Posted by LevesqueIsKing View Post
    Highly untrue. Unless you are working EXTREMELY hard at CC, you probably wont be burning muscle. The body only burns muscle when it is out of fat. As long as he keeps his caloric intake high above his expendature its very possible for him to make gains.

To the thread poster: FYI, Im a lot like you, you can read my info in my profile. Oh, and also, Im turning 16 in like 2 weeks and I only bench 95, so dont sweat it dude.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but you're 15 years old and you weigh 130 pounds. You're not eating 7,000 calories a day. That's getting up there with what Dave Tate eats.

Any aerobic exercise initiates catabolism. If it were true that long distance running simply burned fat, you'd see the majority of long distance runners having 5% body fat (or if you want to be literal, 0% body fat according to your theory).

If you look at the physique of a long distance runner, they are usually have very little muscular definition.
    http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/n...allery.2.3.jpg

Now take a look at a 100M runner. http://www.ghanaweb.biz/GHP/img/pics...6136.optim.jpg

The 100 M runners are muscular and lean. Sure, they lift weights as well, but they avoid heavy aerobic exercise to keep their muscle and speed.

I'm not saying its physically impossible to be muscular and a long distance runner...but if you truly want to be a bodybuilder, or a strength athlete, it is extremely difficult when you're constantly in a catabolic state from running.

Jesus. There is a lot of bad information here.

To the original poster: When I was 14/15/16, I did cross country, and track. I weighed about 135 lbs at 6'3, and I could bench about 90 lbs for my max. If you click my avatar on the left you can see about where I'm at now. When I was your age, I thought there was absolutely no way possible I would ever be an "average" weight or have "average" strength. Hah.

Most of your questions are answered on the stickies. To make it short and simple:
    1. Eat more. You can't gain weight unless you eat more. Excuses about "high metabolism" won't add weight, eating will. Just stuff your face all day. Every 2 hours you should eat, and right before and for 3 hours after your workouts you should have like 4 meals.
    2. Focus on the compound lifts. Do lots of these every week: Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Row, Pull-Up, Dip, Upright Row. You don't need to do anything else besides this. Just do each of those exercises twice/week, however you want to set it up. Focus on just adding weight to the bar. Don't bother maxing out. 4-12 reps every set, 2-4 sets per exercise.
    3. Eat more.
    4. When you're doing track or cross country, just try to get in the gym twice a week. These sports burn a lot of calories, but they also make you ****ing hungry. If I were 130 lbs, I'm pretty sure I could run 10 miles/day and still eat enough food to gain 2lbs/week. You're not going to get really muscular when you're doing these sports, but you'll feel better about yourself than you do now if you eat/train smart.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 04-15-2007 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlifter View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but you're 15 years old and you weigh 130 pounds. You're not eating 7,000 calories a day. That's getting up there with what Dave Tate eats.

Any aerobic exercise initiates catabolism. If it were true that long distance running simply burned fat, you'd see the majority of long distance runners having 5% body fat (or if you want to be literal, 0% body fat according to your theory).

If you look at the physique of a long distance runner, they are usually have very little muscular definition.
    http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/n...allery.2.3.jpg

Now take a look at a 100M runner. http://www.ghanaweb.biz/GHP/img/pics...6136.optim.jpg

The 100 M runners are muscular and lean. Sure, they lift weights as well, but they avoid heavy aerobic exercise to keep their muscle and speed.

I'm not saying its physically impossible to be muscular and a long distance runner...but if you truly want to be a bodybuilder, or a strength athlete, it is extremely difficult when you're constantly in a catabolic state from running.
    1. lol, you dont know anything about me, so dont act like you do. fyi I just started consuming that number of calories a month ago, and yes, I DO consume that much on a regular basis, I track it every day.

2. Actually, thats because short distance runners depend on strength for short bursts, and that is why they workout. Long distance runners on the other hand gain near nothing from being musclar, and in fact, the extra weight would slow them down. yes, I know that you are correct aswell, but only partially correct, because what I just said is correct aswell.

Watchya talkn bout willis
    Maybe he likes crosscrountry

Hit the SEARCH button!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Levesque, please don't crap up another thread. Quit with the "you don't know me" thing.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 04-14-2007 at 10:31 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    Levesque, please don't crap up another thread. Quit with the "you don't know me" thing.
    lol, sorry dude. It just agravates me when people assume things.

not the greatest addition to wbbf, eh? outnumber

lol scarz. man, the best advice on here for you is to eat, compound lifts, and rest up; in a nutshell

(its worked for me ive put on 23lbs) good luck bro

i was swimming for 8 years, so i know what "the skinny kid" feels like
    Last edited by dabaugh; 04-15-2007 at 12:13 AM.
    Currently Bulking
    10/06:150lbs---8.5% bod fat--------------------3/25/07: 170 lbs

8/25/07: 163lbs---------goal @ 185 by (5/1/08)

Lifts/Goals:
    -deadlift 370x6 (current 315)
    -flat bb bench 205x5 (current 185)
    -squat 265x6 (current rehab in knees, light legs)
    -lat p/u BW+50 x 6 (current 35x6)