Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody use limewire with windows vista?

Anybody use limewire with windows vista?

First off I would like to say that vista is hands down the worst, buggiest, ******-friendly operating system I have ever used in my life, if you considering upgrading - DON'T. windows 3.1 > vista

Like nearly all other programs that are incompatible/not fully compatible with vista I'm still having trouble getting limewire to work. When it goes to connect it sits there and never does. After a minute or to it fubars my wireless internet connection and I can't send or recieve data through any browswer or other program (yet it still says I'm connected). I have to close limewire, and manually disconnect from my network then reconnect (the stupid diagnose and repair will sit there all day).

I have no firewall on and have checked the vistas help forums and it seems that other people have got it working but I can't figure where I'm going wrong. Any other vista user/haters out there?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

i had it on my new comp for two days and changed back to XP b/c it sucks so bad
    i would recommend just switching

About 2 weeks ago, a business group I'm involved in where doing a project and we had to use Vista on this guys laptop (brand new, dual 2 core, 2+ ghz, cost something like 3k ) to design a presentation (used Office 2007) and my God! I've never seen a computer slow down and lock up doing the most basic of things, like working between firefox and powerpoint

The laptop was also mad hot, not sure if that was Vista's fault though....
    Last edited by accuFLEX; 04-15-2007 at 08:26 PM.

Squat slowly improving :)
    On a duel core 2+ gig computer, vista will eat up one of the processor cores basically. It blows...XP FTW
    Been out the game for a little while, but jumpin back in

I could go on all day about how slow it is.

This comp is a p4 3ghz 512mb with vista. and the celeron 1300 with 256mb that I replaced this with was easily 3-4 times faster at running common applications/browsing the internet etc. Maybe I will downgrade to XP, not sure about it thought because this comp was built for vista and usually when I end up running a different OS things start to get screwy...
    Last edited by Behemoth; 04-15-2007 at 08:46 PM.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Limewire isn't too great anymore. What kind of music are you looking for? You can probably search and find open directories on the internet (with full albums too).

Banned
    I haven't used Limewire since I discovered bit torrent.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    ^ I would never run limewire just from a security/PC maintenance standpoint. I wonder if any torrent clients work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    I could go on all day about how slow it is.

This comp is a p4 3ghz 512mb with vista. and the celeron 1300 with 256mb that I replaced this with was easily 3-4 times faster at running common applications/browsing the internet etc. Maybe I will downgrade to XP, not sure about it thought because this comp was built for vista and usually when I end up running a different OS things start to get screwy...
    Not that I'm sticking up for Vista but I believe you need 1024mb ram as a minimum.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Well I just don't see any reason to upgrade from XP. XP is excellent and I've had less bugs than with any other Windows OS. I'll probably keep a copy of it around for the next decade because apparently they are going to stop selling it and having it already installed on new computers, they're gonna installing Vista.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    ^ I would never run limewire just from a security/PC maintenance standpoint. I wonder if any torrent clients work on it.

Not that I'm sticking up for Vista but I believe you need 1024mb ram as a minimum.

I didn't upgrade though. This is how it came from compUSA. 512 and designed for vista.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    Well I just don't see any reason to upgrade from XP. XP is excellent and I've had less bugs than with any other Windows OS. I'll probably keep a copy of it around for the next decade because apparently they are going to stop selling it and having it already installed on new computers, they're gonna installing Vista.
    Yeah, they were all "EVERY MANUFACTURER IS ON BOARD WITH VISTA" but...that doesn't mean your team of programmers won't make mistakes. When XP came out, I stuck with windows 2k until service pack 2 was released. I feel the same way about Vista, I won't go near it for at least another year until all the kinks are worked out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    I didn't upgrade though. This is how it came from compUSA. 512 and designed for vista.
    Doesn't sound like. I'd stick another GB, or atlest 512 MB. It's pretty cheap and it'll do wonder for your system.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenEff View Post
    Yeah, they were all "EVERY MANUFACTURER IS ON BOARD WITH VISTA" but...that doesn't mean your team of programmers won't make mistakes. When XP came out, I stuck with windows 2k until service pack 2 was released. I feel the same way about Vista, I won't go near it for at least another year until all the kinks are worked out.
    Yeah I'm definately waiting for at least SP 1. I'd use Ubuntu all the time, except the networking is ******ed and my printer is supported
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 04-16-2007 at 11:56 AM.

Someone I know bought an HP with windows vista pre installed. I called up HP and told them I wanted to revert back to XP due to the fact that all the programs I use and half my accessories are not compatible with vista.

The first guy tried telling me I had to pay $200 and have it sent to HP for them to do it. I finally got someone who knew anything at all about a computer and they sent me all the chipset, gfx, lan, audio ect drivers that I needed to install windows XP on that machine.

I have 2GB of ram in my windows xp rig that I built, and I wouldn't use any less in a vista machine. If it were me (I would build it myself of course) I'd use 2 sticks of 2GB DDR2 ram for Vista. I wouldn't use any less then 1GB for XP.

Vista is bloated, pre mature and utterly un necessary at this point. I'll wait at least a year before it goes on one of my machines. Not saying I won't know the know how about it before then, I'll just stick to XP Professional at this point.

www.download.com and seacrh for ares galaxy.

Problem solved. I have Vista and zero problems with anything. It's probably limewire ruining stuff.

Friend just got his new laptop this weekend with Vista. He wishes like hell he'd just gotten xp instead now.....

If anybody has seen the apple commercial when PC has the security dude asking him for permission every 10 seconds..... yeah, that's pretty much exactly how Vista is.

As others have said, it's almost laughable at how terrible it runs with such basic programs. This is a brand new laptop, dual core processor, and 2 gigs of ram, and it literally took like 5 minutes to install msn messenger. He had the little gadget thingy on the side that shows processor and ram usage, and both cores were at liek 90% while msn was installing, for 5 minutes. Wowza!
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Yeah I'm running awesomely on XP with 3.0 GHz and 1024 RAM. Just that someone would recommend over 2GB of RAM for Vista kinda freaks me out.

If Microsoft doesn't fix this quickly this might be the death of them.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Squat slowly improving :)
    anyone wanna send me a PM on how to use bit torrent..i couldnt figure it out lol
    Been out the game for a little while, but jumpin back in

It's pretty simple. You download a program like mutorrent/microtorrent/utorrent (yes it is called 3 different things) or Azureus. Install the program.

Now you browse different Torrent search sites like Mininova.org, ThePirateBay.org, or Torrentz.com and search what you're looking for. When you find it click on the links until you get to a "Download the torrent" link. Click on it and have those sorts of files (*.torrent files) automatically opened up by Azureus or uTorrent. The programs will open up these files from now on and once they load them up there might be an "ok" box or something like that and it will start looking for people to download the file from. The speed at which it starts download depends on your bandwidth and the availability of the files included in the main file.

For clarification the *.torrent file is usually small and just tells the program what to look for. So there ya go.

And for the record remember that piracy is both illegal and unethical and accept it. What you want to do from there is your call. You can change the settings in your torrent program if you don't like them.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Mac OS X > any Windoze.

Can't wait for Leopard!
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

I pay for all my music
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

torrents and the bittorrent application are perfectly legal, you can distribute things like WoW patches and Linux ISO's over torrents. But they can be used for illegal things as well, as mentioned and its your call.

Yeah it's pretty much up to the user. Just be aware the uploaders get in trouble, not downloaders. The RIAA is in a pretty intense struggle right now trying to prove its authority over pirates and it'll be interesting to see how things go. On one hand it's obviously theft. On the other hand the entertainment industry has been booming like never before since piracy hit the scene. Paradoxical I guess.

BTW my university made the top 15 universities of pirates. Strangely (or not strangely) many of the top-top tier universities were the biggest groups of pirates (I remember Columbia got "first").

Pirates of today. Leaders of tomorrow?
    (I mean it should be obvious that pirates know how to lead, just look at Jack Sparrow that scallywag).
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Oh and don't forget: don't be a douche, make sure your ratio is above '1' before deleting.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    Oh and don't forget: don't be a douche, make sure your ratio is above '1' before deleting.
    :withstupi

I usually download stuff at night and then go to bed with my computer on. That way when I come back, all my ratios for each download are up to at least 3-4. Sharing is caring...er...something.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

HA my ratio is like 0.17 at best. As soon as that sucker is DL'ed it's removed!