Thread: shin splints

shin splints

I've been getting pretty bad shin splints after jump roping for only a few minutes. What kind of stretches are usually done to help with this? I've done the stretch where you kinda lean into the wall with one leg foward and one leg back. Maybe it's just the fact that I have recently started jump roping again and my calves aren't use to the movement yet. The pain almost feels like it's coming from the center of my leg, not the front part of the shin-if that makes any sense.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Massage and ice will help some. Calf stretches are good, but make sure you are stretching the front of your shin (anterior tibialis) too. There should be better resources on the internet, but a quick search gave this http://www.global-fitness.com/exerci...xercise17.html
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

It actually makes perfect sense. There is a muscle that runs parallel to your shin bone. The lower leg is actually divided into compartments by connective tissue. The tissue which surrounds the compartment that holds the muscle in question is very inelastic. The pain is coming from swelling of the muscle causing compression in the compartment. If you take OTC medications you could try some anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen). Other than that just let it rest and it will heal itself like any other muscle that gets sore from weightlifting.
    h: 5'10" w: 169
    340/235/420

schmitty199
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin' Big View Post
    It actually makes perfect sense. There is a muscle that runs parallel to your shin bone. The lower leg is actually divided into compartments by connective tissue. The tissue which surrounds the compartment that holds the muscle in question is very inelastic. The pain is coming from swelling of the muscle causing compression in the compartment. If you take OTC medications you could try some anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen). Other than that just let it rest and it will heal itself like any other muscle that gets sore from weightlifting.
    I thought shin splints were a bone issue? Ive had them before and it doesnt hurt on a muscle at all.
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    Maybe it's just the fact that I have recently started jump roping again and my calves aren't use to the movement yet.
    More or less this is usually the case it seems when adding an increase in jumping/running to a training program. I would recommend adding the new movements (jump rope) at a rather slow pace. Flexing the foot upwards is a nice stretch to do while you are just sitting around at work or at home. 60 second stretches on each foot throughout the day has helped my shin pain. Any kind of foot flexing should work to stretch the muscles around the shin-splint area.
    Last edited by muscleup; 04-16-2007 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schmitty199 View Post
    I thought shin splints were a bone issue? Ive had them before and it doesnt hurt on a muscle at all.
    The term "shin splint" actually means nothing. It is more of a descriptive term than a diagnostic one. The OP said the pain was coming from the center of the front of his leg which is where the tibialis anterior is found. The pain he is feeling is likely the same as if you do a wicked bench day and your pecs are sore the next day. He worked the muscle to the point where it is sore the next day or two. (my comments are based on what the OP has described)

Quote Originally Posted by muscleup View Post
    Flexing the foot upwards is a nice stretch to do while you are just sitting around at work or at home.
    Incorrect. By dorsiflexing the foot (pointing your toes upward) you are contracting the muscles of the anterior leg and stretching the muscles of the posterior leg. To stretch the muscles of the anterior leg, you would plantar flex (stand on your tip toes).
    340/235/420

Quote Originally Posted by Gettin' Big View Post
    Incorrect. By dorsiflexing the foot (pointing your toes upward) you are contracting the muscles of the anterior leg and stretching the muscles of the posterior leg. To stretch the muscles of the anterior leg, you would plantar flex (stand on your tip toes).
    How is my quote incorrect? Flexing the foot in either direction would stretch the muscles around the shin. Depending on whether you had anterior or posterior shin splints would determine the direction to flex. The OP said it hurts in the "middle", which is rather vague. Preventative action is where I was going. Healing for this is basic rest.

I've heard shin splints are caused by a muscle imbalance in which your calves are stronger than the muscles in the front of your shin. Not sure if this is true but it makes sense, especially cuz I got them when football started after I just started doing calf raises a couple months before.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

Quote Originally Posted by muscleup View Post
    How is my quote incorrect? The OP said it hurts in the "middle", which is rather vague.
    My mistake. I misread the last sentence in the OP. Sorry about that.
    340/235/420

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Waiting for weight! Powdered_Power's Avatar
    I always thought it was the actual muscle pressing up against my shinbone.

I had shin splints before and the only thing that seemed to help is resting, pure and simple. Lay off the jumprope for a while and pick it back up if you feel comfortable.
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=87300
    21 yrs
    155 lbs 01/2/07 - 167 lbs 16/3/07 -169 lbs 20/4/07
    5'10 ft

Bench: 120lbs
    DL: 160lbs
    Squat: 120lbs ON HOLD
    Total = 400lbs

I've got sore shins too, is that what shin splints is?? I assumed it was because of me bounding around town on saturday night but didn't really feel it on sunday unless I was too hungover to notice. My shins used to hurt when I walked fast on hard ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzee View Post
    My shins used to hurt when I walked fast on hard ground.
    Yep, those are shin splints.
    Last edited by Beast; 04-17-2007 at 11:24 AM.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Hopefully just some stretching and building up of whatever muscles are used when I jump rope on one foot at a time will help.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Best cure is to strengthen the tibialis anterior. Hammer makes a machine to do it. You can sit a plate on your foot and dorsiflex the foot. Or you can just dorsiflex and hold while sitting on the ground.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

whoof. these suck man, ive got em. ice on and off for 20 mins apart. good luck.
    Currently Bulking
    10/06:150lbs---8.5% bod fat--------------------3/25/07: 170 lbs

8/25/07: 163lbs---------goal @ 185 by (5/1/08)

Lifts/Goals:
    -deadlift 370x6 (current 315)
    -flat bb bench 205x5 (current 185)
    -squat 265x6 (current rehab in knees, light legs)
    -lat p/u BW+50 x 6 (current 35x6)