Thread: Powerlifting to Bodybuilding Transition

Wannabebig Member

Powerlifting to Bodybuilding Transition

Hey all,

I'm looking for some general advice on transitioning from powerlifting to bodybuilding. I'm 19, been doing mostly powerlifting (and some general sports) lifting for 6 years. I've been doing strictly powerlifting for the past year. My peak was at the end of last summer, I weighted 200 at 5'9 (fairly high body fat), benched 285, deadlifted 385, and squatted 330 (I used to squat somewhat more in high school but haven't gone above 350 since tearing my meniscus). Recently I've been cutting and am down to around 178 bodyweight, with my bench being around 265/270, deadlift and squat about the same.
    Basically I want to get in good shape in general, yet transition to bodybuilding. I was training WBB style. I don't need any specific routines (although I would welcome any), but rather general guidance, and possibly websites that are the equivalent of westside-barbell.com or elitefts in the powerlifting world.

Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    Hey all,

I'm looking for some general advice on transitioning from powerlifting to bodybuilding. I'm 19, been doing mostly powerlifting (and some general sports) lifting for 6 years. I've been doing strictly powerlifting for the past year. My peak was at the end of last summer, I weighted 200 at 5'9 (fairly high body fat), benched 285, deadlifted 385, and squatted 330 (I used to squat somewhat more in high school but haven't gone above 350 since tearing my meniscus). Recently I've been cutting and am down to around 178 bodyweight, with my bench being around 265/270, deadlift and squat about the same.
    Basically I want to get in good shape in general, yet transition to bodybuilding. I was training WBB style. I don't need any specific routines (although I would welcome any), but rather general guidance, and possibly websites that are the equivalent of westside-barbell.com or elitefts in the powerlifting world.

Thanks a lot
    I think you need to decide if youd like to continue your cut or go on a bulk. Powerlifting is not so different than bodybuilding. Its the basics that build an impressive body.

So, if youre cutting, youd be focusing on going into a calorie deficit while trying to keep as much weight on your lifts as you can. Many people prefer to keep carbs lower (except before and after a workout) and increase fat because your body becomes more willing to burn excess fat for fuel. You want to lift heavy and short to make your body think it needs to keep onto its muscle.

Bulking, obviously, will be eating an excess amount of calories. Fat gain will depend on how quickly you bulk. A slow bulk has little, if any fat for some people, while a general bulk, youll expect to gain some fat. Thats fine though. Because once you reach a weight youd like, you can go onto a cut.

Like I said, powerlifting will be similar to bodybuilding. One of the biggest differences is a focus on diet. Much of bodybuilding is a manipulation of calories.

Full body routines are a great system for someone wanting to get into bodybuilding. Many of the best members here use them.
    According to Paul Stagg:

"The way to build a routine, any routine, is to start with the basics, and build on them"

"The basics are:
    Squat
    SLDL
    Horizontal pull (row)
    Vertical pull (pullup)
    Horizontal push (bench press)
    Vertical push (overhead press)"

"From there, you workout appropriate lifts, appropriate intensity, and appropriate volume."

"You pretty much hit on everything in your routine, but I think you have too much stuff in there. My suggestion would be to do the six lifts every workout, then at the end, spend 15 minutes doing something else. That 15 minutes is where you put arms, or traps, or calves, or abs. Not the same thing every day, keep it balanced."

"As you progress, you'll add things in, you'll take things out, and you'll learn how to develop the right routine for the right time. That's where you might add in dynamic work, or pylos, or specialization, or some form of periodization, deloads, splits, etc, etc."

If you find 6 movements to be too much per workout, you can consider what Anthony said:

"Consider splitting it into 2 groups (A, B) and just rotate the groups."

"For example:
    A = Squat, Bench, Row
    B = Deadlift, OH press, Chinups"

"Monday = A
    Wednesday = B
    Friday = A
    Monday = B
    Wed = A
    Fri = B"

"If you're new, you should be able to progress for quite sometime, although eventually you'll have to learn how to vary your volume/intensity."

I know you said you didnt want any specific routines so thats some really good general advice to get you going in the right direction. From there, all you need to focus on is your diet..and thats where the decision of cutting/bulking takes place. Im not advocating any other websites..I like this one

Also, take a look at these links:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=34313

and

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=65848
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Wannabebig Member
    Rich,

Thanks a ton man. I too love this website, it was implied that it would be my first source (=. I am probably going to keep my cut until I get to around 168 or so, which would put me (I think) around 7 or 8% bodyfat... then maybe try to do a clean bulk from there without gaining too much fat.
    One follow up question: when increasing the fat intake, should I try to get a specific kind of fat, or does fat in general ok?

Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    Rich,

Thanks a ton man. I too love this website, it was implied that it would be my first source (=. I am probably going to keep my cut until I get to around 168 or so, which would put me (I think) around 7 or 8% bodyfat... then maybe try to do a clean bulk from there without gaining too much fat.
    One follow up question: when increasing the fat intake, should I try to get a specific kind of fat, or does fat in general ok?

Thanks a lot
    Limit Saturated fat and Trans fats.

Go for Unsaturated, Polyunsaturated, and Monounsaturated.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial