The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    bellydancing queen twcolabear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    378

    what is realistic?

    This isn't about bodybuilding per se, but fitness related non the less. I need to be able to run a mile in 7min, right now I am super slow. I don't know how fast I can run it now, but I know I'm not fast at all. I have two weeks before I have my first deadline for running a mile, so what kind of progress is possible in 2 weeks? I realize 2 weeks is nothing, and so I don't expect to be able to do that in 2 weeks, but I'm curious what is normal expectations on improving running time. Thanks

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member kique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    0
    just a shot at ur prob, try hittin da weights for lower body squats leg pres calf blah blah everything 3 times a week, and start jogging 1 mile for 3 days then 2 miles for 3 days then 3 miles 3 days then work on ur sprinting 30 sec jog 30 sec sprint for about 5 mins n increase it by a minute every day . oh and diet down lose weight n ull be faster u can loose a good 5-10 lbs in 2 weeks get to that cardio roaR!

  4. #3
    Eat Chicken Chris686's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by kique View Post
    just a shot at ur prob, try hittin da weights for lower body squats leg pres calf blah blah everything 3 times a week, and start jogging 1 mile for 3 days then 2 miles for 3 days then 3 miles 3 days then work on ur sprinting 30 sec jog 30 sec sprint for about 5 mins n increase it by a minute every day . oh and diet down lose weight n ull be faster u can loose a good 5-10 lbs in 2 weeks get to that cardio roaR!
    wtf?
    Forever Goal: Strength

    Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

  5. #4
    chuck norris smitch250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    maine
    Posts
    72
    well we need to know what your time is right now first...
    bench: 240
    squat: 260
    deadlift: 300

    height:6'
    weight:183 (12%bf)

  6. #5
    Grammar Nazi BG5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,979
    Quote Originally Posted by smitch250 View Post
    well we need to know what your time is right now first...
    Yeah. If you are doing 12 min miles right now, I'm guessing 7 min is out of the question. But if you are like 8 mins or so, you can do it.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

    Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

  7. #6
    bellydancing queen twcolabear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    378
    great, thanks!

  8. #7
    Wannabebig Member KevBren420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    24
    running a 7min mile might be possible in that time. Just run a mile everyother day for the two weeks, lift ur legs, and do sprints. Your time right now is probably closer to 7min that u think

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    611
    I owuld train all out for a whatever time you have less. If your test is running outside then run outside. treadmills are easy to cheat. Whenever you have time run and run a lot. I know when I ran in HS we ran 5 days/week and I got decently quick in a short time. You have to build up your endurance so i would run 2-3 miles each time so that way 1 mile will seem easy.

    For technique I would try to take long strides and breathe at a slow steady pace. I am sure if you research a little there are articles written on this. But a 7 minute mile isnt too hard, nor is it ieasy for a lot of people. Just educate yourself the best you can and give it your all.

    For the people saying left legs...it is in 2 weeks, he is best off if he trains for him stamina/endurance. I don't even think it is that importane for long distance runner to train legs like weightlifters. I have known a lot of runners who ran awesome imes (under 5 min mile range) who never lifted their legs in their life.

  10. #9
    BB'er turned PL'er Phenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,067
    Quote Originally Posted by bics56 View Post
    I owuld train all out for a whatever time you have less. If your test is running outside then run outside. treadmills are easy to cheat. Whenever you have time run and run a lot. I know when I ran in HS we ran 5 days/week and I got decently quick in a short time. You have to build up your endurance so i would run 2-3 miles each time so that way 1 mile will seem easy.

    For technique I would try to take long strides and breathe at a slow steady pace. I am sure if you research a little there are articles written on this. But a 7 minute mile isnt too hard, nor is it ieasy for a lot of people. Just educate yourself the best you can and give it your all.

    For the people saying left legs...it is in 2 weeks, he is best off if he trains for him stamina/endurance. I don't even think it is that importane for long distance runner to train legs like weightlifters. I have known a lot of runners who ran awesome imes (under 5 min mile range) who never lifted their legs in their life.
    i agree with staying away from weights. It will only make you sore, causing your endurance training to suffer.
    Age: 23 - Weight: 237 lbs - Height: 6'1''

    S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

    "Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

  11. #10
    Addicted to Adrenaline LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    308
    Dont lift, thats for sure. It depends on 1) What your running time is now 2) How dedicated you are 3) How much time you are willing to spend training

    2 weeks is nothing at all, and you wont be shaving off too much time. I used to run just under 6 min in the one mile and 13 mins on the two mile, and that took over a year to achieve...

  12. #11
    bellydancing queen twcolabear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    378
    Thanks guys.
    I suppose I can time it today. I do taekwondo 2-3x a week, but my problem is endurance. I have fast recovery time, and so it's not a problem in tkd class because I only need to exert myself for a few minutes at a time. Running is different from that.

Similar Threads

  1. What is a realistic weight goal?
    By westy in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 11:32 AM
  2. Actual (realistic) body mass increase on bulk diet
    By oph40 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2004, 06:53 AM
  3. Realistic Goal-Setting.
    By NerdAlert in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2003, 12:46 PM
  4. What is a realistic body fat goal
    By GeorgeD1958 in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-02-2003, 09:27 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •