Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chuck Liddell Goes Hardcore!

Chuck Liddell Goes Hardcore!

It's good to see he knows what is needed to get into tip top shape.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...e.workout0409/
    index.html
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Holy crap, my money is on Iceman.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

Quote Originally Posted by Can'tstopnow View Post
    Holy crap, my money is on Iceman.
    Did you see their other fight? Liddell took a pretty bad beating. Definitely sounds like he is working hard. There was a special on Spike about his training before the Ortiz fight. Those guys work insanely hard.

I swear everytime I see him step in the ring it looks like he is ready to go on a float trip with his signature blue/white trunks and a hint of a pot belly. Picture him holding a case of Natty Lite.

Rampage can talk about himself in the 3rd person all he wants, because when that counter over hand right lands, it's going to knock out both his personalities.

Where is a brick & mortar where one can purchase a 125lb medball?

Quote Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7 View Post
    Yeah, no kidding. I've never seen anything over about 30 lbs.

Everything mentioned is just typical GPP style work. It seems effective enough (I'm actually going to try a couple of these things), but I wonder if he ever weight trains at all.

Also, his diet is absolutely horrible for an elite athlete.

Liddel is a damn great fighter, but if this is his true diet/workout plan, then it's really lacking. For him, so much is made up by just having phenomenal skill. And his crazy style.

Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin View Post
    Yeah, no kidding. I've never seen anything over about 30 lbs.

Everything mentioned is just typical GPP style work. It seems effective enough (I'm actually going to try a couple of these things), but I wonder if he ever weight trains at all.

Also, his diet is absolutely horrible for an elite athlete.

Liddel is a damn great fighter, but if this is his true diet/workout plan, then it's really lacking. For him, so much is made up by just having phenomenal skill. And his crazy style.
    Why is his diet so horrible?
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

KJ: a lot of elite athletes have sub par diets. Chuck's looks decent - meat & vegetables. I'd say add some nuts in there, but he probably gets a decent amount of fat from the fish he eats. Saying it's absolutely horrible without the details of macros/micros is jumping the gun.

Also, almost no competitive athlete will reveal their entire training program. What the article describes is an example that makes the average couch potato go "cool, that sounds hard."

To give you an idea ...

Hackleman has a good relationship with the folks at Crossfit, does a lot of seminars with them, posts on the forums, featured on the main site on a weekly basis. It's no secret that he has Chuck incorporating Crossfit style workouts - including lifting. But we'll probably never hear actual daily details.

Actually, there are a lot of direct and indirect ties between UFC personalities and Crossfit. Big John McCarthy runs a Crossfit gym. Randy Couture and Dan Henderson have been featured in Crossfit Journals. BJ Penn and his brother were amongst the first to be listed in the "muscleup club" on Crossfit's site, Paul Buentello has links to them, etc. And I'm sure a lot more, but again, fighters tend to be hush-hush about their training.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Yeah, I'm sure you're right about the training.

I'm still sticking with what I said about the diet, though. No peri-workout nutrition AT ALL? Only 5 meals all day for someone training 2x/day? Choice of foods could probably be a little better (i.e. white rice)

This isn't bad for someone just starting to weight train or anything, but for an elite athlete, you would expect something flawless. I think this probably has a lot to do with why Chuck looks like he's semi-out-of-shape.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 04-13-2007 at 10:44 AM.

How many calories is he eating? What's the macro/micro profile?

Exactly - we have no clue based on the info we have. He could be consuming 8000 calories for all we know.

And what's bad about white rice after a workout? No worse/better than dextrose and some protein powder.
    Last edited by Anthony; 04-13-2007 at 11:07 AM.

Diet seems fair enough to me. I could only wish my diet was that good.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

I'm sure he could have a boat load of supps thrown in also.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold

When they had the Spike special about him, Rachelle Leah went to his home and saw how he trained and asked about diet and such. If I remember correctly, they were eating some type of pasta and talking about how he has to consume 6Kcals/day to maintain 205lbs. I doubt Chuck is maintaining 205lbs eating only fish/chicken and vegies/rice with the type of training he does on a daily basis.

IMO no one should be trying to judge anything regarding Chuck Liddell. He's the one with the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Actually, there are a lot of direct and indirect ties between UFC personalities and Crossfit.
    Makes sense... every MMA training clip I've watched has some of the Crossfit stuff in there that you do. The hammer on tire, etc.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

IMO no one should be trying to judge anything regarding Chuck Liddell. He's the one with the belt.
    Like I have said, he's an absolutely phenomenal athlete, and a phenomenal fighter. He's really good at what he does. But, he also looks out-of-shape compared to a lot of the guys he fights against. I think that has to do with his diet.

Anthony - You're right, I have no idea of what his macro breakdown is. But I didn't bring up his poor macros as something he's doing wrong.

He's eating high GI carbs with fats, he's not eating anything pre/post/during his workouts, and he is eating only 5 meals a day. All of those are things I'd expect intermediate bodybuilders to fix to get to the next level. Of course, body composition doesn't matter a whole lot for fighters, but I'd expect them to be doing everything to get even the slightest edge.

This is however all based on what's in the article. If it's not true (which may well be the case), then that everything I've said could be wrong.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 04-13-2007 at 12:45 PM.

That's what I'm getting at though ... you don't know how much he's eating of any of those foods. He could be eating a spoonful of rice at each meal. I realize that's an exaggeration, but we really don't know.

And either way, I really doubt chuck is eating for composition. He may have some belly going on, but you can still see abs through it ... the guy is still quite lean.

Not picking on ya, and I'm not nuthuggin chuck, just saying "we don't know" so "we can't judge" ...

Do that voodoo that he do
    Also remember that eating for performance and eating for physique are totally different things.

Chuck is an older fighter (did the article say he was 37?) and he's been throwing down for a long time. He knows how he performs depending on what he eats.

He may not perform as well if he's shredded. Some body types/people don't. Warren Sapp tried to lean down at one point and his performance dropped off. He's never been a bull-power defensive lineman, so it wasn't simply a weight issue. Jerome Bettis was more powerful and explosive at 15% body fat. When he got lean he wasn't the same running back.

Chuck may have found that getting really lean doesn't help him fight.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

is way too skinny!
    I'd care less if Liddell had abs or not. He is awesome and will lay the smackdown on Rampage.
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough

A little extra ass will help ya on the ground, but Liddell doesn't go to the ground if he can help it. Conditioning is everything to a fighter, not appearance.
    Last edited by manowar669; 04-14-2007 at 07:24 AM.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Iron4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7 View Post
    I don't know about a brick-n-mortal, but you can buy them online..
    http://www.d-ball.com/customorders.html
    A friend purchased a 90 lber from them.. and he beats the heck out of it.

Chuck vs. Rampage should be an interesting battle.. at least, lets hope so.
    The Spike show was cool when they showed Chuck huffing and puffing up/down the hill with the wheelbarrow. Hopefully, they will show Rampage training - he looks to be in as good of shape.

although Chuck doesn't have a BB'ers 6-pack, one of the BJJ guys I worked with last year had an interesting observation... watch when Chuck delivers one of his knock-out punches.. his gut is fully "pushed" out. It's like in Powerlifting, he has a belly full of air to keep his core strong, to deliver maximum force.

Bear - the reason I specified B&M is because shipping on a 100lb+ item is going to be slightly expensive.

Thanks for the link, though, it is helpful in targeting prices for medball weight ranges.

Like I have said, he's an absolutely phenomenal athlete, and a phenomenal fighter. He's really good at what he does. But, he also looks out-of-shape compared to a lot of the guys he fights against. I think that has to do with his diet.

Anthony - You're right, I have no idea of what his macro breakdown is. But I didn't bring up his poor macros as something he's doing wrong.

He's eating high GI carbs with fats, he's not eating anything pre/post/during his workouts, and he is eating only 5 meals a day. All of those are things I'd expect intermediate bodybuilders to fix to get to the next level. Of course, body composition doesn't matter a whole lot for fighters, but I'd expect them to be doing everything to get even the slightest edge.

This is however all based on what's in the article. If it's not true (which may well be the case), then that everything I've said could be wrong.
    Fedor Emelianenko, current heavyweight champ of Pride and arguably the greatest MMA champion of all time, looks like a slob. He's soft, has a pot belly, and looks more like the marshmellow man than a world class fighter and yet he's never lost a match and is known to have some of the heaviest hands around. And he's got great conditioning.

IMO it's guys like him that make it really difficult to judge how 'fit' one is just by looks alone.

Isnt' that the truth about Fedor, if didn't know him. Most would not back down. lol Bad day

Impossible Is Nothing roadrunner22's Avatar
    King Justin, i was just wondering why you think Chuck's fighting style is 'crazy'?? he defends the takedown, likes to strike and waits to drop the overhand right. to me thats not crazy compared to the more unorthodox fighters such as Shonie Carter
    18 y.o.
    Weight- 200
    Bench-225
    Deadlift-325
    Squat- 300 atf

Updated: May 16, 2007

I've never been a 16 year old girl that can only do 12 push-ups.

Shonie's style is pretty unorthodox as well, but Chuck definitely stands out.

I practice MMA, and the vast majority of what Chuck does, we simply don't practice. He doesn't box anything like a traditional boxer. He is just so damn fast and coordinated that he avoids punches entirely without blocking or even slipping. He just stays a distance every time a punch comes, and he eventually lands those shots that people just aren't used to blocking.

Not that there's anything wrong with it -- he is so damn good! It's just so much different from what most people will learn when boxing.

And yeah, I realize that MMA striking and (kick)boxing with gloves on is a lot different, but he stands out from the other MMA guys in MMA fights as well.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 04-17-2007 at 12:47 PM.