The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

VT Killer Sent a Package to NBC

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18169776/

I know the last thread turned into a political debate or something like that but this article was pretty interesting.

I've always been very aware of PTSD and it seems like we might have figured this one out:
    "In a screenplay Cho wrote for a class last fall, characters throw hammers and attack with chainsaws, according to fellow students in the class. In another, Cho concocted a tale of students who fantasized about stalking and killing a teacher who sexually molested them."
    BINGO. I could be wrong and these sorts of things are hard to prove but I'm guessing this is where the problem stemmed.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

wow, that's interesting, I'm still amazed at the time span he had to do all of this.
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

I'm amazed that he made those videos BETWEEN the two shootings!

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

What a looney. Law enforcement really dropped the ball on this one, so did the university. The english teacher turned him into the police, who did nothing, didn't even take precautions.
    Last edited by HahnB; 04-18-2007 at 07:06 PM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    A+ for creativity.

I want to know what this guy did after he killed two people or whatever at 7:15. Like, did he just walk off and that was that? No one identified him to the cops? Like, wtf?

as far as I know when a student shows signs of violence (for example in his English assignments), all the university can do is ask them to come in to student affairs for a "talk". Universities can do little to help a kid such as this looney...but I feel proper precautions were not taken to prevent this student from doing what he did.
    Last edited by bigmoney; 04-18-2007 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by accuFLEX View Post
    I want to know what this guy did after he killed two people or whatever at 7:15. Like, did he just walk off and that was that? No one identified him to the cops? Like, wtf?
    Who was going to identify him? The one security guard and one witness who saw him were both killed. He had probably planned things out pretty well because it's not easy to kill two people in a dorm and walk out without anyone nabbing you. Whatever, apparently he pulled it off. Still trying to figure out how you line up a couple dozen people and shoot them all without them trying to retaliate. If you're #20 then you gotta be itching to act when they get to #... oh... about #15. Oh well, I guess we can only speculate.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

With the line up thing, what he could have done was shot down the line, and use one bullet to kill a lot of people. Then again, I have no idea how bullets work, so I don't know if my thinking is correct....

seriously.What i nut case.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Yeah I doubt it, I'm sure the bullet (which wasn't of a high caliber) definitely wouldn't go through the second head. Plus if you watch any of the videos you hear the gun being shot every half second or so. But then again maybe that's just when he supposedly headed down the halls and starting shooting the place up.

Also I don't know if you guys heard but one teacher gave his life trying to give the students time to climb out the window of his classroom. Supposedly he was a holocaust survivor also... that man deserves a ****ing medal.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

WBB Member
    The story I read said the package containing the videos was mailed between the two shootings. It said it wasn't possible to determine from the videos when they were actually recorded.

Just a side note, but didn't people jump from the windows? If so, was that number included in the death count?

Edit: And another thing, has there been any talk of school security cameras? My campus has about 18,000 students and we have freekin cameras in almost every hall.

I assume in the States, with security a lot more imposed vs. Canada, they would have more cameras...
    Last edited by accuFLEX; 04-18-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Wow, this plus the interview of his two old roommates = totally nuts.

This seems like a case where the police/university dropped the ball big time.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Are there any videos anywhere?

I think it's hard to prevent something like this (aside from maybe between the first and second shooting). Everybody has some degree of 'mental problems.' Hell, I could think of 3 or 4 people that go to my school that are pretty ****ing creepy. The chances of them actually doing something are so slim that I don't think the university should make them even more isolated by needing to meet with officials.

I haven't followed this too close -- was it ever explained how he chose the people he was going to kill? Did he just let other losers go or something?

And why was he killing people in the Engineering hall? Wasn't he an English major or something?
    Last edited by KingJustin; 04-18-2007 at 08:39 PM.

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin View Post
    I think it's hard to prevent something like this (aside from maybe between the first and second shooting). Everybody has some degree of 'mental problems.' Hell, I could think of 3 or 4 people that go to my school that are pretty ****ing creepy. The chances of them actually doing something are so slim that I don't think the university should make them even more isolated by needing to meet with officials.

I haven't followed this too close -- was it ever explained how he chose the people he was going to kill? Did he just let other losers go or something?

And why was he killing people in the Engineering hall? Wasn't he an English major or something?
    His choice for where to attack may have had more to do with the layout of the building than anything else, and likely number of classes that would be in session at the time, and other logistical things. It sounded like he had been planning this thing out for quite awhile.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 04-18-2007 at 08:52 PM.

I was under the impression he was looking for a specific girl and headed toward her class. Who knows, the first few days the details are always lost in the confusion and rumors.

And yes I'm pretty sure he recorded those things before the shootings because (if you read the article) it says it was edited a bit.

As KingJustin said though it is very hard to prevent things like this. During our lifetimes they will probably always happen but the events will become less frequent. As for the University... I don't think they were too bad. It's not like you can have the cops arrest someone for "being a creep". They have been criticized for not closing the campus off but on the other hand how do you just close off a campus? It's not that easy. I'd even give his psychologist a break because I bet we've all met creepier people who haven't done anything close to this.

Basically **** happens. I'd get into gun laws but I think that's where the last thread went. I heard a good quote recently though... "If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words."
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmoney View Post
    as far as I know when a student shows signs of violence (for example in his English assignments), all the university can do is ask them to come in to student affairs for a "talk". Universities can do little to help a kid such as this looney...but I feel proper precautions were not taken to prevent this student from doing what he did.
    I heard from CBC that he was in a mental institute for a period of time. I also heard he faced a student tribunal for harassment, but they decided not to penalize him.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    The story I read said the package containing the videos was mailed between the two shootings. It said it wasn't possible to determine from the videos when they were actually recorded.
    It was mailed between the two. So either the videoes are from the first shooting, or he shot some other people we don't know about. I vote for the former.

I don't get how there was 2 full hours between the dorm shooting and the building shooting.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Crap. Welcome to the dawn of a new Era in school security.
    "Your mercedes wasn't good enough you brats? Your Gold chains weren't enough you snobs?" He may have been looney but he said what a lot of us think. And by us I mean "Me".

The difference is I didn't unload 40+ rounds of ammo in a school...I didn't have a gun at the time. Dammit.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Watchya talkn bout willis
    You also probably don't have as bad of mental problems as him.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatred View Post
    The difference is I didn't unload 40+ rounds of ammo in a school...I didn't have a gun at the time. Dammit.
    I think we're talking more like 150+ rounds. Apparently he didnt put less than 3 rounds in each victim.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

I don't get how there was 2 full hours between the dorm shooting and the building shooting.
    I've been following this story rather closely. I must say I am completely appalled by the whole thing.

I've been trying to decipher the facts from the BS, but it's been a little difficult, especially when news channels get these fruit cakes that always want to blame some psychopath's behavior on some external source such as video games, music, or movies. I believe these kinds of people are just ill.

It's rumored the reason that he wasn't stopped after the first shooting was because the police believed they had caught the shooter. They thought the shooter was the original victim's boyfriend. It's said he was the prime suspect and therefore pulled over by the authorities and arrested.

That's not to say that this whole thing wasn't preventable. The kid was showing psychological issues way before this thing even happened. But many people show similar signs and never go on a shooting spree.

I hate the idea of upping security, to be honest. I know there are some who are going to advocate this crap, but let's think of these school shootings on a global scale. How many major shootings have there been by students? Two?

This and Columbine.

In the grand scale of things, there have been literally billions of students that have gone through the school system, and we've had three kids crazy enough to go through with these macabre deeds.

It's moronic and a waste of security and taxpayer's money to implement heavy security on these campuses. It's ludicrous when you consider the frequency of these events.

Let's think about this: We can spend the hundreds of millions of dollars on nationwide campus security, but that money could be spent on education instead.

If we do this, we're adding more lower class, uneducated people to the economy. Lower class people are more prone to violent crimes. This is a fact.

Less money for education, more for security. Fewer educated people, more poor people. More poor people, more violent crimes. More violent crimes, more death.

It's all intertwined.

I know that this sounds insensitive, but I don't mean it to be that way. If anyone on these forums was somehow affected by this tragedy , you have my deepest sympathies. If you are offended by my post, I apologize.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Chris, good post. I agree with your thinking on everything, and I make that economics argument all the time. I really hate when people say, "It shouldn't matter how much money it costs! xxx is more important than money!"
    Last edited by KingJustin; 04-19-2007 at 11:29 PM.