The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

for anyone who knows a lot about grad school...

how does having a full semester of withdraws on your transcript affect your chances of being accepted into a good grad school?

i will likely graduate college with a 3.6 GPA at my old school, however this semester i transfered to a bigger out of state school and it didnt work out AT ALL. im doing absolutely horrible, the best i can hope for GPA was is 2.6, and thats considering i do awesome on my final 3 tests i have to take, all of which are cumulative.

so if i withdraw for the semester, how is that going to affect my grad school admittance, considering i attempt to explain in my personal statement why it was so hard for me this semester and i couldnt handle it?

im going back to my other school next semester and will graduate there, transferring this semester was arguably the worst decision i ever made in my life...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well, it looks like you weren't able to adapt, and that looks pretty bad for grad school. I've never withdrawn from a course, so I never researched it ...

That in mind, the semester is almost over! Aren't you going to get a WF (Withdraw-Fail) rather than just a simple Withdraw?

In all honesty, I don't know which is worse--a semester that crushes your GPA, or a semester that you get a WF from in every class. It probably depends a lot on what kind of school you want to go to. What grad field are you looking at (i.e. business, law, accounting, public administration, etc)?
    Last edited by KingJustin; 04-18-2007 at 11:52 PM.

Banned
    applied physiology most likely.

i believe i will just get a W on my transcript, not a WF.
    i dont believe i have any other choice...

this is from another forum:
    to add a bit more information about WHY im making this decision, on my final calculus exam i will need an 82% to get a C in the class. my other two tests were 88% and 40%, the final exam is cumulative of those two plus what we do in the next 3 weeks. this is a 5 credit class.

in bio, i need an 80% on the final exam to get a C in the class. my previous tests were 66 and 67% (second one curved). this test is cumulative as well.

in nutrition, i will need a 94% on the final to keep my A. previous grades were 86 and 100. this final is cumulative.

if i were to get a D in the first two exams, my GPA is gone. i will spend just as much time explaining why i did bad as i would explaining a withdrawal.

I would recommend finding out whether getting a 'W' will reflect at all in the GPA that these schools look at. I also would double check to make sure that you will get a 'W' and not a 'WF.' At my school, if you withdraw after Spring Break (March 3) you get a WF. I am very surprised that you'd only get a 'W.'

Basically, what I think is going to happen if you can withdraw without messing up your GPA, the schools are going to see the ~3.6 and your standardized scores. To a lot of schools you'll be "auto admit" and they will hardly look at anything else. To schools that you are not an "auto admit," they'll look at your application and you probably won't get in. Withdrawing will essentially be like the inverse of a really good extracurricular activity.

If you don't withdraw from the classes and end up with a significantly worse GPA, then a lot of the schools that you were auto-admitted to will probably look through your application instead, but you won't do too poorly I don't think. However, the schools that would otherwise look through your application will probably 'auto-reject' you.

Basically, I would go ahead and withdraw if it's not going to affect your official GPA. Schools like to publicize that their average GPA is high, and for their publication's, your 'mis-year' isn't factored in. Otherwise, don't withdraw.

And don't withdraw from the course that you're going to get an 'A' in.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 04-19-2007 at 12:19 AM.

Banned
    i have to withdraw from all the closers or none of them...
    if i get a 2.0 here, it will drop my current GPA from 3.34 to 3.049

thats unacceptable...(i got 3.6 because ive averaged 3.6 my last 2 semesters at teh school, with an increasing workload)

I think it's too late to withdrawal and not receive academic predigest aka a fail in the course.

If you're going back to school anyway, why not suck it up, finish the term and redo the courses you didn't do so hot in next term? Don't you guys have the thing were if you do better your second time around in a course, the higher mark goes on your transcript?

Banned
    because im not going to be at this school, and considering this is a tier 1 school my only grades from here on my transcript will be bad, and that would look worse then having a W i think.

and i called and checked, this school doesnt give WF's, its just a W.

It's not good, but, there's hope....

If you manage to get your GPA back up to a 3.6 and get a great GRE score (combined verbal + math of 13-1400...most programs require at least a 1200 to look at you) then you'll be fine...but...

When interviewed you will get asked what happened. Be prepared to explain it to them...I strongly suggest you not use the "I couldn't hack it at a big school" defense. I'd say that adjusting socially, etc was a huge problem for you...left family behind, personal problems, etc etc....you've moved beyond that now and you're ready for the next big challenge.

Another thing that helps, especially if you're applying in a physiology program is to work as a technician for that department for a year. It pretty much guarantees entrance into the department so long as you don't screw up in that lab. Do your research though and find out what the guy you'll be working for is like and whether or not he's a strong student advocate.

This also puts you up a year on your research.

Eitherway, all is not lost. If you want to go to grad school you'll end up there.

best of luck...pm me with any questions.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Quote Originally Posted by accuFLEX View Post
    If you're going back to school anyway, why not suck it up, finish the term and redo the courses you didn't do so hot in next term? Don't you guys have the thing were if you do better your second time around in a course, the higher mark goes on your transcript?
    You have to be careful with this one. I'm not sure how Anatomy&Physiology works, but for law school, even if your transcript tells you that your bad grade got replaced by your good grade, both grades factor equally into your official GPA.

If you are very certain that your official GPA isn't going to be brought down, then drop the courses that you aren't doing well in. Keep the class that you are going to get an A in, and make sure you do well on the final.

Edit: I didn't see that you said you have to withdraw from all or none. Are you sure about that? Why? Don't do it if it's just because you can make a better statement explaining the mess-up. Keep the 'A.'
    Last edited by KingJustin; 04-19-2007 at 12:56 PM.

I am not sure how about the withdrawing thing, each school is different. For example: I know for law school, some take the average of all of your LSAT scores, while some just take the highest.

You are most likely allowed to throw in a brief statement explaining a semester of bad grades. For my applications, each school wanted a statement in which I could explain any part of my application and answer some of their questions. I would call the admissions of the grad schools you plan to apply to and double check if a statement is allowed if it is not on the application. Explain anything that could have affected your grades for the semester (like an environment that doesn't work for you). If you can show that it is just one sememster that you screwed up and had good reasons why, most schools are willing to take that into consideration. Good luck!
    To clear up some confusion:
    Blanche = slut on the Golden Girls
    Soprano = The Sopranos
    And no, my life does not revolve around the tv.

Ws will not look good on your transcript. WFs will look absolutely horrible. Avoid them if possible.

A complete semester of Ws, as long as it comes with a good explanation, probably won't affect admissions to many institutions as long as other things like career experience, volunteer work, test scores, etc. are good enough.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Ws will not look good on your transcript. WFs will look absolutely horrible. Avoid them if possible.

A complete semester of Ws, as long as it comes with a good explanation, probably won't affect admissions to many institutions as long as other things like career experience, volunteer work, test scores, etc. are good enough.
    i dont think itll create to big of a problem, i called a few schools and most of them said that just be prepared to answer it in your personal statement. i know i put myself at a disadvantage, but i think i can overcome it, especially if i finish strong at my previous school. i also want to internship at a few places during or after college before i go to grad school (athletes performance does internships)

honestly, the school just wasnt a fit for me, i didnt learn anything except in nutrition class, and adjusting socially is a problem (UW transfer students are by far the most unhappy people on campus, they did a report on it in the paper). i guess now i have to work 3x as hard when i get to my old campus to compensate, as well as get asmuch resume experience as i can.

i dont think it was a BAD idea to come here. i think it was a very good idea to come here, just turned out in the worst possible way. and before anyone wants to judge my decision, please dont. its demoralizing enough having to do what i did after doing so well in school for 3 semesters.
    Last edited by wannabepua; 04-19-2007 at 02:05 PM.