Thread: I hate my job...

I hate my job...

Whether any of you care, I don't know... and I don't care if you care or not. I am in a pissy mood and I need to vent just a little.

But damn, I'm so sick of my job. I've been working in retail (Crap) sales for two years now.

I mean, this is not a bad job for a 20 year old college student. I make better money than most people my age. I wouldn't be surprised if I got offered a management position sometime in the near future.

But still, it is so lame. I hate people, for one, and it's my stupid job to go up and initiate conversations with these people and sell them **** they really don't need. I really don't give a crap about them.

The bad thing is, I'm actually pretty good at it. There are some people that I could probably get to eat out of my hand... They listen to everything I say, even when it's complete crap and I have no clue what I'm talking about.

Last week I took my first vacation in many months hoping this feeling of dread would go away. Well, I made it back to work on Tuesday and felt the exact same way.

This leads to my dilemma: In my past when I've started feeling this way about a job, it usually doesn't end well.
    It's lead to my poor performance and eventual quitting/getting fired.
    I nearly got into it with my boss the other day.

However, I've got bills to pay as we all do, so I'm stuck biting my tongue until I can find something new.

I need a little advice here. I'm looking around for job postings, and everything just looks like complete dead-end jobs that require too much time for skill investment. There's always more retail, but I'll just be jumping in the same boat at a different destination.

What do all you college students, or what DID you alumni, do while you were in college that you enjoyed? I'm really just looking for some suggestions. I'm finished with retail, and food services simply doesn't pay enough.
    I've been looking for some computer related work, but no luck so far, so that may just need to wait until I get a little more college under my belt.

I've even gone so far as to contemplate joining the military. I mean, there's always room for advancement there for a smart guy with a little work ethic.

Sorry for my ramblings... Just sometimes gotta get it out before it gets out by itself.
    Last edited by Chris686; 04-19-2007 at 09:33 PM.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

What exactly do you hate about your job, besides the fact that you hate people? Sorry if I missed it. If that is the only reason, then I am sure you will pretty much hate every job, unless of course you own your own business. Yet even so, I am sure you will also have to deal with people.
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 210

While you're in university/college, nothing beats working at a small gas station. Where I work, it's slack: you can listen to whatever music you want, study, eat, read magazines, talk on the phone, shoot the **** with buddies, watch movies on a laptop, go on the internet... It's wonderful.

Chris, you're in college so you likely don't want a menial, low-wage job (otherwise, I completely agree with Tofer's idea). I'd say look for tutoring opportunities around you - there's always some rich mom who wants her son to do better on his SATs/Algebra/Spanish/Chemistry, etc. This is a VERY low-stress job that pays $10-30/hr, depending on how well you can sell yourself. Judging by your first post, that shouldn't be a problem for you. Granted, you won't get 40 hours weekly, but it's a start.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Uh I know the feeling I worked retail all 5 years of University/College and despised every minute of it, I just stuck it out until I finished then left and went into construction development and never looked back. As for advice.. unless you have the education to get a higher level computer related job then you are going to run into the whole hating people problem, explaining simple computer related tasks all day get old fast.
    As for my job now I love my work, I work regular 80 hour weeks but get paid very well for my age/experience, there is room for me to move up and its always changing everday is different.
    Last edited by seK; 04-19-2007 at 09:48 PM.

Im a lifegaurd/swim instructor and I love it!
    I get to be outside by the pool all the time without my shirt
    Talk with lovely ladies, teach little kids how to swim, look pretty while lifegaurding... Its a dream

On top of that I can get paid 15-20 bucks an hour (starting off) or more depending on where you work.
    Of course, you need qualifications

Oh, don't get me started on what I hate about my job!

1. People
    sub People categories:
    1. Stupid people. E.g.: "I need an ink cartridge for my HP printer. I don't know what number it is, and I don't know my printer model. I bought it from you guys about three years ago. It's an all-in-one. I'll know the printer if I see it."
    2. Angry people. e.g.: *I listen from an aisle as a cashier rings up person.. Notebook paper rings up .59 instead of the labeled price .49.
    "Uh, excuse me, that notebook paper is says it's 49 cents on the shelf."
    Cashier: (Nicely) "Would you mind grabbing that label to show me?"
    Customer: "You want me to do what?! Grab the label? You morons can't get a price tag right?"
    Me: "Well, it's 59 cents unless you show her the label."
    Customer: *Grumbles and runs off to grab label*

There's more types I'm not going to get into.

2. Selling
    3. Being fake
    4. Mystery shoppers (I hear this **** twice a month)
    5. Market basket (Attachment items, such as usb cables, ink, etc. to printers)
    6. Unloading freight, opening boxes
    7. Biting my tongue when some random guy thinks he's the ****.

Okay, this post is already long enough. No more.

...As far as working at a gas station, I've done that before. I got my hours cut one week when I refused to clean a bathroom because some Mexican guy crapped on the floor. It had to be a Mexican terd because I saw a Jalapeno in it. No jokes.

I got fed up and quit. I'd be more likely to stay where I'm at. Better pay, benefits, and I enjoy it a little more.

I actually like the tutor idea. Alas... there's not enough money in something like that. The pay has to be steady or I'd fall way behind on bills. Lifeguard duty sounds like a lot of fun actually. That's really not an option in this area though. It's a really small town.
    Last edited by Chris686; 04-19-2007 at 10:20 PM.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    Chris, you're in college so you likely don't want a menial, low-wage job (otherwise, I completely agree with Tofer's idea).
    Just to be clear, I am in University too (major in Civil Engineering) so I hope I didn't give the impression that I'm just some bum with no direction working at a gas station.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris686 View Post
    I've even gone so far as to contemplate joining the military. I mean, there's always room for advancement there for a smart guy with a little work ethic.
    Don't join the military for the wrong reasons. And "I hate my job, maybe I will join the military for a way out" IS the wrong reason.

Look at it this way. Retail, is CAKE. Things could be a lot worse.
    You said they pay you enough to cover your expenses, and it's not like you will be there forever, so quit crying. At least you have a job.

Banned
    apply for a TA position....pay's great, it's pretty chill, but the hours are hard to come by.

see if you can get a job at ur school doing something. They are always up for giving you a schedule around ur school schedule and are often looking for workers. Although, at my school, the pay sucks.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

At 20 years old you need to be looking to get an internship. Depending on your major you need to have some idea on whether you're going to like it or not. You could end up hating the industry you'll have to work in. There should be all kinds of opportunities for an internships. Ask your academic advisor, talk to someone in your specific school or area, hell just call and ask to certain places you might eventually want to work if they are looking for interns. Especially with summer coming up, you should have done this back in January.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofer View Post
    Just to be clear, I am in University too (major in Civil Engineering) so I hope I didn't give the impression that I'm just some bum with no direction working at a gas station.
    Haha, suuuure, ya no-direction-bum.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Drew Carey: "Don't like your job? There's a group for that. It's called 'Everyone'. They meet at the bar."
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

I hate pretty much everything about my job. Except how easy it is.