The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you think of International Fitness Professionals Association ?

My gym's trainers....most come from here and the gym I want to work for in the future is hiring from International Fitness Professionals Association . Ever heard of them...what do you think. Now that I am gettign ready to start getting into this...I really want to choose the right one to where I want to go...I was looking at NSCA...ugh to many to choose from!
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

I am a fatass thank you very much! LOL

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Would it matter? you could say you trained at S.H.I.T. and i doubt anyone will say anything except for another personnal trainer. besides use more stuff learned here to train.
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Yup. The common person has no clue whats a reputeable company and whats not.

No matter what, if you are considering a trainer, verify that they are actually certified.

Lots of them say they are, but are, in fact, not.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Paul, you implying something? Ha!

No my personal trianer i had Has B.S and is certidifed. I am looking into becoming a personal trainer.
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

i wanta be a trainer too

Me too.
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

I'm thinking about it as well...But to work at my gym where I want to, I've gotta be certified and have a 4 year degree.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Originally posted by BigChaseyChase
    I'm thinking about it as well...But to work at my gym where I want to, I've gotta be certified and have a 4 year degree.
    Always better to do it yourself anyway. This way the gym isn't taking a cut of your profits.

ACE is an easy/cheap certification that people aren't smart enough to know is crap. So you'd be credible with just that, and it's about the easiest to obtain.

LOL @ Cack... yeah, that's about the gist of it. If a trainer told me that he/she had an ACE cert, I'd probably laugh at them-- but it sounds impressive to the general public.

Celestial-- just a word to the wise; NSCA is *hard* even for the CPT, let alone the CSCS. You'd better know your stuff before trying it.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    LOL @ Cack... yeah, that's about the gist of it. If a trainer told me that he/she had an ACE cert, I'd probably laugh at them-- but it sounds impressive to the general public.

Celestial-- just a word to the wise; NSCA is *hard* even for the CPT, let alone the CSCS. You'd better know your stuff before trying it.
    Please tell me the best way to prepare for it. I am willing to work hard, I dont want some crummy laughing stock of the industry certification...but I want to start somewhere.

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

3:16
    bic chasey - if you do a 4 year degree. go into research instead.

you will get fresh challenges etc. then we can refernce you finding as well.lol
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Well the degree doesn't have to be in exercise science or sports medicine or anything like that. I basically just need a 4 year degree, so I would definately study something else that I could branch off into if personal training didn't work out.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

That's how most of the "advanced" certs are, requiring any type of four year degree. That's the only reason I'm not a CSCS.

Celestial: For the NSCA-CPT, the best thing I could tell you would be to understand NSCA's positions on everything, and learn ALL the materials they give you backwards and forwards.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

How long do they give you to study their material?

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

I don't know off the top of my head, but it'll be on the site.

I'm probably taking the CSCS test at the end of this summer Celestial. I'll let you know how it goes. To start with get the Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning. That's like their bible. But it's expensive.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

IME, there are two certifications that mean anything.

NSCA CSCS - it requires a 4 year degree, and is, IMO, THE benchmark certification. NSCA CPT is a close second.

ISSA is the only other one. IMO, it doesn't hold the same weight as NSCA, but still head and shoulders above the others out there.

Both will require you to take continuing ed classes to maintain the certification.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

How often do you have to take the continuing ed classes? Just curious. I really wantto try for the NSCA CPT...then look into college and just got for the gold. But I need to do one thing at atime.

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

Not sure. probably a certain number of continuing ed credits a year or every two years. The websites should be able to tell you.

Commonly in the PT field, people will pass the test, then never take any continuing ed, and continue to use the certification as a selling point.

Anyone considering actually paying for training advice should take the time to verify the certification with the sanctioning body.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

3:16
    well if you have to do course work.
    post it and let the constructive critism begin.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

I will once I get started..they dont give much info online about their certificate programs etc so I am gonna give them a call and order the brochure so I can get the prices of everything as well. BE back!

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

Really? I remeber all the prices and course info being on their site. I think you'll find it all if you dig deep. Becoming a member saves you a lot of money on ordering there products or taking the exam. It also gives you access to all their periodicals and monthly journals.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer