The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity

100% RAW Federation

Has anyone ever lifted in this federation? I'm actually trying to give myself some hope of beating this injury by setting a meet date for the end of the year. It would be my first meet, and I know literally nothing about most of the feds out there. Considering I'm a raw lifter anyway, and won't be able to afford gear anytime soon, would this federation be a decent place to start?
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I know a guy that lifts in it. I think there are a couple of members of the forum that are in it. What date are you looking at? If it hits my schedule, and you're healthy, I'll do it with ya.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

My old workout partner (TMC) and his roommate have competed in a couple of events in the NC/SC area. They enjoyed the comps they did.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

100% RAW means no suits, just wraps right? or absolutely nothing?
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Naked.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Cool. Thats my kinda lifting. Anyone know a site with the records on it?
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    Cool. Thats my kinda lifting. Anyone know a site with the records on it?
    teh google will reveal all.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

How about you set the goal of being healed by the end of the year? You'll rush it and end up getting hurt or worse trying to get ready for a meet. Bad idea.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    How about you set the goal of being healed by the end of the year? You'll rush it and end up getting hurt or worse trying to get ready for a meet. Bad idea.
    Captain Pessimism over here...

Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Iron4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinASU View Post
    Has anyone ever lifted in this federation? I'm actually trying to give myself some hope of beating this injury by setting a meet date for the end of the year. It would be my first meet, and I know literally nothing about most of the feds out there. Considering I'm a raw lifter anyway, and won't be able to afford gear anytime soon, would this federation be a decent place to start?
    Hey Justin, I highly recommend 100% Raw... it's the first (& only so far) that I've done.. I went to the World Championships last Dec. - no qualifying yet for that only b/c they are still a young federation. I met a lot of great guys - friendly and willing to offer a newbie competitor advice and encouragement. I met a few of the guys off their forum too. And the equipment was top-notch too.

I think you are lifting in NC right? That's a hot bed for 100% Raw...
    And the National Championships are just up the road in Richmond, VA.. if you live near I-95.
    April 28 - Jarvisburg, NC - NC Powerlifting Championships and Arm Wrestling Championships
    June 23 - Charlotte, NC - NC State Bench / Deadlift/ Strict Curl Championships and REP Challenge
    September 15 Jacksonville Open- Jacksonville, NC
    October 6 - Southern Open Bench Press & Arm Wrestling Championships Jarvisburg, NC
    October 13 - Wilmington Bench Press Classic Wilmington, NC

100% RAW means no suits, just wraps right? or absolutely nothing?
    No Wraps... just belts..
    Anyone know a site with the records on it?
    Here are the national records, which are pretty much the world records too... http://www.rawpowerlifting.com/nrecords.htm
    And it's kinda of fun right now, only a few of the records are out of touch.. b/c it is so young. You have a good chance to set a record, especially for your state.

And if you look close in the state of NH, you will even find an old fatman like me... in the 40-44, 242 class.. http://www.rawpowerlifting.com/recor...%20RECORDS.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JustinASU View Post
    Captain Pessimism over here...

True, but I know you. If you ask most people that really know me they'll tell you that I'm probably one of the most optimistic people you'll ever meet, sickeningly optimistic.

If you want some goals:
    By the end of the week, have interviewed 3 possible physical therapists.
    By the end of May, have started PT.
    In 6 months, have finished PT and know the root cause of the herniation.
    In 12 months have started training for your first meet. After 3 months of conditioning.

I'm putting a positive spin on all this because it's a good possibility to do this. Trying to compete before the end of the year is a bad idea. I train people for a living. I've helped a few clients (in conjunction with their PT's, chiro's and doctors) in getting a few people able to lift again and get rid of back pain. 2 we didn't even start bodyweight squatting until 3 months later and that was after they had finished PT. Those were the ones that moved along the quickest. You force this and you'll regret it.
    What is elite?

Iron4Life
    Oops Sorry HY... I didn't realize Justin was hurt...
    I'm with HY.. don't lift until you are ready...

GL with the rehab!!!
    PS.. from the old man in me... heal up right, or you could have unnessecary pain that us old men have!!! Mornings can sometimes be painful getting out of bed... ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    True, but I know you. If you ask most people that really know me they'll tell you that I'm probably one of the most optimistic people you'll ever meet, sickeningly optimistic.

If you want some goals:
    By the end of the week, have interviewed 3 possible physical therapists.
    By the end of May, have started PT.
    In 6 months, have finished PT and know the root cause of the herniation.
    In 12 months have started training for your first meet. After 3 months of conditioning.

I'm putting a positive spin on all this because it's a good possibility to do this. Trying to compete before the end of the year is a bad idea. I train people for a living. I've helped a few clients (in conjunction with their PT's, chiro's and doctors) in getting a few people able to lift again and get rid of back pain. 2 we didn't even start bodyweight squatting until 3 months later and that was after they had finished PT. Those were the ones that moved along the quickest. You force this and you'll regret it.
    Will I was being thoroughly sarcastic. Your optimism is something I'm quite aware of and it's against everything I stand for . You know me well enough to know that I lose my ****ing mind when stuff like this happens.

Here's my stance on all of this right now. I avoided the MRI b/c the doc said it wasn't necessary if the pain improved. The pain improved and of course I cancelled it because of the cost. Now I am regretting that decision because I'm healing fast---suspiciously fast. I'm wondering if it was a bulge as opposed to a hernaition of the disc. Without the damn MRI I will never know.

Being that the lower back was feeling much better and my sciatic nerve isnt killing me anymore (thanks to the wonderfulness that is prednisone) I feel like this isnt as serious as I originally imagined. I realize that a bulge can easily herniate, which is why I am going to ease back into things, but I feel like it occurred because on my ATF squats I do tuck my ass just a tad, and with enough weight, that's deadly. Since I tuck my ass, obviously my lower back flexibility is poor, or perhaps my hips. I'll definitely see what I can find out about a PT, but keep in mind that I'm a very very poor and debt ridden individual, so regular PT sessions are not realistic.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen

Does your insurance not cover anything? I would still very seriously consider getting the MRI done. I know that funds might be short but find out what insurance will cover. They might be quoting you the price without insurance but if you have any type of insurance at all, you should get some of it paid through that.

...and if you have had the prednisone then the pain might not be there but the problem still is and it hasn't gone anywhere. When it wears out, it'll come back and if you haven't done anything to make it better, it'll come back worse.

I know I'm beating a dead horse and this is all stuff you know or have considered but I'm tossing my 2 cents worth at least. And I'll let you have it repeatedly.
    What is elite?

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf View Post
    Hey Justin, I highly recommend 100% Raw... it's the first (& only so far) that I've done.. I went to the World Championships last Dec. - no qualifying yet for that only b/c they are still a young federation. I met a lot of great guys - friendly and willing to offer a newbie competitor advice and encouragement. I met a few of the guys off their forum too. And the equipment was top-notch too.

I think you are lifting in NC right? That's a hot bed for 100% Raw...
    And the National Championships are just up the road in Richmond, VA.. if you live near I-95.
    April 28 - Jarvisburg, NC - NC Powerlifting Championships and Arm Wrestling Championships
    June 23 - Charlotte, NC - NC State Bench / Deadlift/ Strict Curl Championships and REP Challenge
    September 15 Jacksonville Open- Jacksonville, NC
    October 6 - Southern Open Bench Press & Arm Wrestling Championships Jarvisburg, NC
    October 13 - Wilmington Bench Press Classic Wilmington, NC

No Wraps... just belts..

Here are the national records, which are pretty much the world records too... http://www.rawpowerlifting.com/nrecords.htm
    And it's kinda of fun right now, only a few of the records are out of touch.. b/c it is so young. You have a good chance to set a record, especially for your state.

And if you look close in the state of NH, you will even find an old fatman like me... in the 40-44, 242 class.. http://www.rawpowerlifting.com/recor...%20RECORDS.htm
    I was hoping for the Jacksonville Open, but it may not be a possibility - we'll see how things heal up.
    Credulous at best
    And give a listen