The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

My girlfriends cutting program

Im starting my girlfriend off on a sort of cut. Ive told her she looks beautiful already and doesnt need to do it..but I'd understand if she wanted to do it for herself and that I'd help her

But anyways, my ideas were:

I used a basic formula from, "The Book Of Muscle" by Lou Schuler and Ian King to figure out shed need 1596 calories (a 500 calorie defecit per day) to lose weight.

She will be using the program Im currently on which I borrowed from Anthony.

Workout A = Deadlift, OH press, Chinup (or a sub is she cant do one)

Workout B = Squat, Bench press, Row

Mon: A
    Wed: B
    Fri: A
    Mon: B
    Wed: A
    Fri: B

At the same time, Im not asking her to change her diet yet. I told her Id like her to track everything she eats in a given day for a week. I will then see how many calories per day shes getting and how it relates to the 1596 as stated by the formula. After this, she will be trying for the 1596 per day. If she doesnt lose a lb a week, then we will decrease her calories by another 100 and see how that goes.

Im hoping for some opinions on this strategy. Also, would an arm hang where you hold the contracted position of a pull up for x amount of seconds be okay if she cant do any real pullups yet? We wont use any machines and are limited to some free weights in the barn so she doesnt get embarrassed. Im hoping when she gets used to everything, she will hit a real gym with me.

I figured, low volume/heavy lifting along with a calorie reduction would be simple enough but I'd like to make sure.

Thanks
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

does she do any type of physical activity as of now? and yes i was going to suggest to do that instead of pull ups you can also have her do slow negatives if she can
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

What does she weigh, and how tall is she?

A pound a week is kinda steep for a chick. We're not that big - if her maintenance is 2000 a day and she drops to 1500, it's a 25% reduction. I drop at most 20% from maintenance, usually I start with about a 15% reduction. For example, at 2000 cals a day maintenance, I might start a cut at about 1700.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    Im starting my girlfriend off on a sort of cut. Ive told her she looks beautiful already and doesnt need to do it..
    Haha, smart move :P
    Last edited by Chris686; 04-25-2007 at 01:49 AM.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    What does she weigh, and how tall is she?

A pound a week is kinda steep for a chick. We're not that big - if her maintenance is 2000 a day and she drops to 1500, it's a 25% reduction. I drop at most 20% from maintenance, usually I start with about a 15% reduction. For example, at 2000 cals a day maintenance, I might start a cut at about 1700.
    I was going to chime in with the same thing.

No plans for aerobic activity or just walking?

I don't see a problem cutting out 500 calories - not everyone wants to diet for months / years on end.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Shes 5'4 and 136 lbs as of now. She does no other activity besides voleyball or baseball or whatever else we find to do in the summer.

Built - I'll add 100 calories and do 1700 for her then. You made a good point Built. Im pretty ignorant when it comes to training women since I have never been one

8.8 - I'll lift her up and have her do negatives..I didnt think of that!

Vapour - Without sounding too bad, she gets some aerobic activity about 2 times a day Other than that, it will be sports since we both try to stay active in the summer.

Chris - Lol.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

I think jumping pull-ups are better than the flex arm hang. Just tell her not to jump too much. Just my opinion, though.

Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin View Post
    I think jumping pull-ups are better than the flex arm hang. Just tell her not to jump too much. Just my opinion, though.
    What if I were to have her do jumping pullups and then at the end of the last set do a flexed arm hang?